NFLPA to investigate Tua's return from concussion protocol | Page 20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFLPA to investigate Tua's return from concussion protocol

If we sent the QB out there will a concussion, the independent Dr would have dimed us out. This review is of the NFL's concussion protocol, not anything the team did. I'm 99.99% sure he was tested. How could anybody watching that game and seeing that wobble not test the guy?
This is exactly why I didn't fret at all. No way a Dr. would put their career on the line for 30 minutes of a football game, and rightly so. If Tua was indeed concussed, there's no way he should've been back out there. McD seems like a genuine guy who cares about his players health and safety. I doubt he'd want that either.

My friend at the game said Tua came out of the tunnel after halftime hyping the crowd up. Doesn't seem like someone with a concussion would do, but I'm just as much a doctor as those talking heads.

My friend at the game said Tua came out of the tunnel after halftime hyping the crowd up. Doesn't seem like someone with a concussion would do, but I'm just as much a doctor as those talking heads.

But the world's leading expert on concussions says otherwise.

You know the guy who wasn't there
The guy that didn't examine him
The guy that didn't see a scan
The guy that wasn't there to perform the tests and to hear what Tua claimed the issue was.

He says differently.

I am not knocking the poster who provided that info.

It bothers me that someone like that is calling out and criticizing Tua for going back in the game.

He claims there's no doubt in his mind.

There's no doubt in my mind, unless he was there and did the tests, he has no clue.

Says he should rest for a couple months.

Must be a Bills fan.

The guy that wasn't there to perform the tests and to hear what Tua claimed the issue was.

He says differently.

It bothers me that someone like that is calling out and criticizing Tua for going back in the game.

There's no doubt in my mind, unless he was there and did the tests, he has no clue.

Must be a Bills fan.
Yes, according to Dr. Omalu, any knocking of your head against the ground, another person or a another object as Tua did whn he was pushed to ground likely leads to a concussion. That's why I said I figure we had 10 or more concussions each summer as a child. I was the nieghborhood headbutt champion and was proud of my title for nearly 50 years until Dr. Omalu came along and said all those victories likely led to permanent brain damage.

Yes, according to Dr. Omalu, any knocking of your head against the ground, another person or a another object as Tua did whn he was pushed to ground likely leads to a concussion. That's why I said I figure we had 10 or more concussions each summer as a child. I was the nieghborhood headbutt champion and was proud of my title for nearly 50 years until Dr. Omalu came along and said all those victories likely led to permanent brain damage.

Agreed,based on that I am surprised I am able to properly form a sentence 60% of the time.

He says differently.

Must be a Bills fan.
Or, and here me out with this, it could just be that he thinks these athletes are getting concussions all the time and they just go undaignosed. He could have a very dismissive attitude about football in general because players are crashing and taking jarring hits almost every play. I look at this no differently than having a dentist look at your teeth or a nutritionist examining your diet: these are people who are expected to know it all about the subject and they will find something needing improvement or fixed almost always. I figure this guy understands the brain in a way 95% of others don't, and he is naturally going to advocate in favor of brain health.

Did Tua suffer concussion? Probably.

Did Tua pass the concussion safety protocol? Absolutely.

Probably a very mild concussion equivalent to putting a crack in a bone.

People suffer concussions without ever realizing it. I've probably had a couple, and I've never been diagnosed with one.

When my back hits that mark I'm out a week barely being able to walk. Only strong pain killers help and even then the first 48 hrs laugh at pain killers.
Which makes me worried about his back and if it will linger through the season. And why I almost rather he not play even if Miami loses if it means he rests. So that he’s recovered better so he can play far into season

By contrast, I used to accidentally hit my head on some pretty hard low hanging stuff as a young kid who had a penchant for crawling around under things. One day I hit it pretty hard and all of a sudden became smart. My grades improved dramatically. They moved me to the accelerated learning group and I became a member of the honor society. Life's been pretty awesome ever since....

Or, and here me out with this, it could just be that he thinks these athletes are getting concussions all the time and they just go undaignosed. He could have a very dismissive attitude about football in general because players are crashing and taking jarring hits almost every play. I look at this no differently than having a dentist look at your teeth or a nutritionist examining your diet: these are people who are expected to know it all about the subject and they will find something needing improvement or fixed almost always. I figure this guy understands the brain in a way 95% of others don't, and he is naturally going to advocate in favor of brain health.

Did Tua suffer concussion? Probably.

Did Tua pass the concussion safety protocol? Absolutely.

Probably a very mild concussion equivalent to putting a crack in a bone.

People suffer concussions without ever realizing it. I've probably had a couple, and I've never been diagnosed with one.

That all may be true.

I don't care about his speculation.

I care about the criticizing and blaming a player for going back into a game concerning an Injury he has no clue the player suffered.

Let me put it this way.

If you took tests, and followed protocols for a potential injury and cleared it all, results came back negative.

Then some expert doctor comes along and says it doesn't matter what the tests show, I know you had to suffer this injury. You need surgery now.

Are you going in to surgery?

OK ok, too extreme.

Tests and protocols show there is nothing wrong with you.

Expert doctor comes in and claims there's no way you didn't suffer any injury. Belittled you and criticizes you. Then says you should rest for up to 2 months.

Do you rest?

That all may be true.

I care about the criticizing and blaming a player for going back into a game concerning an Injury he has no clue the player suffered.

Let me put it this way.

If you took tests, and followed protocols for a potential injury and cleared it all, results came back negative.

Then some expert doctor comes along and says it doesn't matter what the tests show, I know you had to suffer this injury. You need surgery now.

OK ok, too extreme.

Expert doctor comes in and claims there's no way you didn't suffer any injury. Belittled you and criticizes you. Then says you should rest for up to 2 months.

Do you rest?
True, fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, the testing doesn't include an actual scan of you brain. And some of the concussion damge a brain suffers isn't truely discovered until an autopsy is performed after death. The way Dr. Omalu makes it sound, the tests that NFL gives look for obviousy signs of extreme damage, but the lack of those signs should not be confused with thinking there's no damage there. As he stated in his interview, in the end it's up to the player to have enough information on the possibility of concussions and to do what's in his or her best health interest. He was saying Tua should have said "I'm not going back in." I personally understand what the doctor is is saying, but it's also clear that he's never played football, boxed or took part in any sport with a ton of contact. It's hard, if not impossible to get a player to take himself out of a game due to something like Tua had on Sunday. Where I struggle with the whole debate the most is in term of how I would want to handle the situation if it involved my son or daughter. If you have a child who bangs their head and some people somewhere are questioning brain damage, but the doctor on site says he thinks they're good to go, would I want them back in the game or take them out to ere on tha side of caution?

True, fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, the testing doesn't include an actual scan of you brain. And some of the concussion damge a brain suffers isn't truely discovered until an autopsy is performed after death. The way Dr. Omalu makes it sound, the tests that NFL gives look for obviousy signs of extreme damage, but the lack of those signs should not be confused with thinking there's no damage there. As he stated in his interview, in the end it's up to the player to have enough information on the possibility of concussions and to do what's in his or her best health interest. He was saying Tua should have said "I'm not going back in." I personally understand what the doctor is is saying, but it's also clear that he's never played football, boxed or took part in any sport with a ton of contact. It's hard, if not impossible to get a player to take himself out of a game due to something like Tua had on Sunday. Where I struggle with the whole debate the most is in term of how I would want to handle the situation if it involved my son or daughter. If you have a child who bangs their head and some people somewhere are question brain damage, but the doctor on site says he thinks they're good to go, would I want them back in the game or take them out to ere on tha side of caution?

Fair point.

He did NOT get concussed - part of protocol related to pupil dilation and other reflexive tests - you cannot fake it…

If Tuas out Thursday do we get to see my boy SKylar?

He did NOT get concussed - part of protocol related to pupil dilation and other reflexive tests - you cannot fake it…

If Tuas out Thursday do we get to see my boy SKylar?
He will be inactive.

He says differently.

Must be a Bills fan.
Or maybe he stayed in a Holliday Inn Express the night before?

That all may be true.

Let me put it this way.

OK ok, too extreme.

Do you rest?
No, and I've literally had my healthcare professionals alter plans and treatments around my tournament fishing schedule. I've been told I really shouldn't fish this event or that event or to avoid sunlight, etc., we talk about the risks and consequences, and I make the decision.

It no more surprises me that a brain doctor would criticize a football player than it would that a skin doctor would probably call me a dumb ass.

Back
Top Bottom