NFLPA votes to play no preseason games ahead of 2020 season | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFLPA votes to play no preseason games ahead of 2020 season

NFLPA Recommends Canceling Preseason
https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/07/nflpa-recommends-canceling-preseason

We heard yesterday that the NFLPA might be pushing to cancel the preseason, and indeed, the union’s board of player reps have unanimously recommended that no preseason games be played, as Dan Graziano of ESPN.com reports (via Twitter). That decision was reached during last night’s call between the player reps and NFLPA medical director Thom Mayer, details of which can be found here.

As Albert Breer of SI.com notes, the preseason schedule was also discussed during today’s phone call, which was open to all players (Twitter link). The union has floated the following summer schedule, per Tom Pelissero of the NFL Network (via Twitter):
  • Three days of medical and equipment checks;
  • 21 days of strength and conditioning;
  • 10 days of unpadded practice; and
  • 14 days of practice, with a maximum of ten practice sessions, eight of which would be padded.
We shall see how this goes. Would be very hard to evaluate talent. Unless they would allow to carry larger rosters until after the fourth game of the year if it is played.

:ffic:

I think two preseason games was a good compromise.

Everything is contingent on how rampant the spread is once camps open.

If shizz is still way out of control, who knows what or when they'll be able to proceed, with anything (camp, preseason games, regular season games, etc.)

If there is camp, and they cancel all preseason games, can teams have joint practices with other teams?

Doesn't this affect the Dolphins? That is why I posted this in the main forum. I also attached an article from the Miami Herald talking about Dolphin players that could be cut.

Last edited:
It really sucks for some of those UDFA guys who are trying to make a team. They don’t get drafted then get signed and may never even get to camp to prove themselves.
May have to work out at a camp that specializes at there position, and send footage to all 32 NFL teams to show they are ready should the opportunity present itself. Will need to stay hungry and stay after it.:ffic:

On offense, those in jeopardy could include six undrafted rookies — offensive linemen Jonathan Hubbard, Nick Kaltamayer and Donell Stanley, receivers Kirk Merritt and Matt Cole and tight end Bryce Sterk — and a few veterans, including offensive linemen Adam Pankey and Keaton Sutherland, quarterback Jake Rudock, fullback Chandler Cox, receivers Ricardo Louis and Mack Hollins and tight end Chris Myarick

On defense, those in jeopardy potentially would include four undrafted rookies - defensive linemen Tyshun Render, Benito Jones and Ray Lima and linebacker Kylan Johnson — plus veteran linebackers Calvin Munson and James Crawford, perhaps defensive end Avery Moss and perhaps a veteran defensive back such as Nate Brooks or even Cordrea Tankersley, who hasn’t played in a game in 21 months.

On offense, those in jeopardy could include six undrafted rookies — offensive linemen Jonathan Hubbard, Nick Kaltamayer and Donell Stanley, receivers Kirk Merritt and Matt Cole and tight end Bryce Sterk — and a few veterans, including offensive linemen Adam Pankey and Keaton Sutherland, quarterback Jake Rudock, fullback Chandler Cox, receivers Ricardo Louis and Mack Hollins and tight end Chris Myarick
Chris Myarick was impressive in one of the preseason games last year. Quite a few receiving yards that game, believe it was closer to 100 yards. Don’t know how that would translate playing against starters though.

NFLPA Recommends Canceling Preseason
https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/07/nflpa-recommends-canceling-preseason

We heard yesterday that the NFLPA might be pushing to cancel the preseason, and indeed, the union’s board of player reps have unanimously recommended that no preseason games be played, as Dan Graziano of ESPN.com reports (via Twitter). That decision was reached during last night’s call between the player reps and NFLPA medical director Thom Mayer, details of which can be found here.

As Albert Breer of SI.com notes, the preseason schedule was also discussed during today’s phone call, which was open to all players (Twitter link). The union has floated the following summer schedule, per Tom Pelissero of the NFL Network (via Twitter):
  • Three days of medical and equipment checks;
  • 21 days of strength and conditioning;
  • 10 days of unpadded practice; and
  • 14 days of practice, with a maximum of ten practice sessions, eight of which would be padded.
We shall see how this goes. Would be very hard to evaluate talent. Unless they would allow to carry larger rosters until after the fourth game of the year if it is played.

:ffic:

Well I understand why would you want to put your health on the line. The players should expect all share in the same pay cut proportionally until this is resolved. Only logical.

It might be the bottle vodka but I think there is a semi complicated yet simple solution to the season. Division only games, push season back by 2 months, have secluded area for each division teams to stay and play a total of 6 games each(Pat's twice, jets twice, Bills twice), best record of each division moves on to playoffs in a assigned stadium. Fans get football, playoffs, etc, players get paid, owners get paid.

With the two month delay in season, it allows players, coaches, refs, etc to secluded so no risk of covid, may suck but it gets everyone the end goal of football, money, distraction

It might be the bottle vodka but I think there is a semi complicated yet simple solution to the season. Division only games, push season back by 2 months, have secluded area for each division teams to stay and play a total of 6 games each(Pat's twice, jets twice, Bills twice), best record of each division moves on to playoffs in a assigned stadium. Fans get football, playoffs, etc, players get paid, owners get paid.

With the two month delay in season, it allows players, coaches, refs, etc to secluded so no risk of covid, may suck but it gets everyone the end goal of football, money, distraction

Sensible idea especially keeping teams in same location and stadium, the Australian Football League is trying to adopt a rough similar strategy. I think both the players and the owners regards tv rights etc would want a longer season. Perhaps combine two divisions together ie East and South play 12 games so have 2 div winners and 2 runner ups. AFC and NFC then play 1v2, then conference, then SB if the season has to be pushed back or limited time wise.

I thought the NFL would be in better position than all the other sports, having absolute months to prepare for this outbreak, in addition to being able to see what almost every other sport has been able to do or not do. Now there's word that the league really doesn't have any idea, and seeing as how much of this country is in disbelief about what's happening and is encouraged by some in leadership positions, it wouldn't surprise me anymore.

Back
Top Bottom