NFLPA votes to play no preseason games ahead of 2020 season | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFLPA votes to play no preseason games ahead of 2020 season

I thought the NFL would be in better position than all the other sports, having absolute months to prepare for this outbreak, in addition to being able to see what almost every other sport has been able to do or not do. Now there's word that the league really doesn't have any idea, and seeing as how much of this country is in disbelief about what's happening and is encouraged by some in leadership positions, it wouldn't surprise me anymore.
The only hope/benefit that the NFL had was that the virus was brought under control during the months of downtime. If it isn’t then the logistics are going to be a nightmare due to the size of rosters and number of coaches and assistants, and the need to travel. I can’t see any way that an effective bubble can be created, and all it takes is a handful of infections and half a roster can be quickly wiped out for 14 days while players self-isolate. What then? Are teams going to be expected to play a large number of scrubs while others without infections are at full strength? Are roster size limits going to be relaxed so that teams can cover groups of players self-isolating? We already know that teams evade concussion protocol to keep players available, if we somehow get to a meaningful stage of the season what’s going to happen if the Bucs need to win the last two games but Brady and Gronk start showing symptoms?

The NFL was in a ‘good’ position compared to other sports, as it had time, but that was based on that time being used to deal with the virus. The failure to bring this under control means the NFL now has to plan playing a season under virus controls, and shortening the preseason and not having fans at games probably isn’t going to be enough.

It might be the bottle vodka but I think there is a semi complicated yet simple solution to the season. Division only games, push season back by 2 months, have secluded area for each division teams to stay and play a total of 6 games each(Pat's twice, jets twice, Bills twice), best record of each division moves on to playoffs in a assigned stadium. Fans get football, playoffs, etc, players get paid, owners get paid.

With the two month delay in season, it allows players, coaches, refs, etc to secluded so no risk of covid, may suck but it gets everyone the end goal of football, money, distraction
Given the circumstances trying to create some kind of bubble and limiting travel between states is likely to be the most effective approach, unfortunately what willl come into play is the financial effects of a shortened season and I imagine a lot of people will want to push boundaries to get as many games played as possible.

Back
Top Bottom