NFL's best 50 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL's best 50

Zach Thomas and Sam Madison got majorly snubbed in that list. Should have probably been ahead of both Surtain and Jason Taylor.

I like how everyone wants to ignore that one study I saw earlier in the offseason I forget who did it, that rated defensive players based on a point system that didn't just include tackles but had modifier points for making plays behind the line of scrimmage or preventing a conversion on 2nd or 3rd and short, and a bunch of stuff like that.

Ray Lewis was the #1.

Zach Thomas was the #2.

Everyone else was like a full 50 points behind them.

Zach s/b there and Sam over Pat :confused:

here are some questionable placements:
  • 8.Larry Allen, G, Dallas Cowboys
  • 19.Brian Dawkins, S, Philadelphia Eagles
  • 25.Champ Bailey, CB, Washington Redskins
  • 26.Grant Wistrom, DE, St. Louis Rams
  • 30.Chad Brown, LB, Seattle Seahawks
  • 33.Kevin Mawae, C, New York Jets (too low)
  • 37.Rodney Harrison, S, San Diego Chargers
  • 38.Donovan McNabb, QB, Philadelphia Eagles (too low)

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Zach Thomas and Sam Madison got majorly snubbed in that list. Should have probably been ahead of both Surtain and Jason Taylor.

I like how everyone wants to ignore that one study I saw earlier in the offseason I forget who did it, that rated defensive players based on a point system that didn't just include tackles but had modifier points for making plays behind the line of scrimmage or preventing a conversion on 2nd or 3rd and short, and a bunch of stuff like that.

Ray Lewis was the #1.

Zach Thomas was the #2.

Everyone else was like a full 50 points behind them.

The study was done on ESPN's insider, subscription service, and I remember the thing. They had three of four categories and ZT ranked #2 in all of them except one. He also ranked well ahead of two other notable LB's, Takeo Spikes and Brian Urlacher (spell?). I think people constantly underrate the guy because of his size and the drive that he has; they just don't believe that he'll keep it up year after year. The problem with that argument is, not only does he keep up his intensity, but it has actually increased. He doesn't need the rankings anyway though, he seems to thrive on being the underdog.

One more thing to remember about this list: it was written by the biggest moron ever to disgrace the professional sports media. The guy hates the Phins so for him to list two of them on there is a miracle unto itself.

I should expect nothing less from Prisco... his statement that Warner is better than Marino, Elway, Montana, and Unitas... show his complete stupidity... IF Warner lasts near as long as any of those guys did... MAYBE he could be mentioned in the same breath... but not after only a couple of years...

I would have Zach Thomas on there. I don't like your team, but he is a bad man.

Originally posted by WharfRat
I should expect nothing less from Prisco... his statement that Warner is better than Marino, Elway, Montana, and Unitas... show his complete stupidity... IF Warner lasts near as long as any of those guys did... MAYBE he could be mentioned in the same breath... but not after only a couple of years...
good point - the ratings were a good effort for someone as stupid as Prisco

Pete Prisco
:stupid:

:monkey: Pete Prisco

Sam Madison should be there. Surtain was better in 2000, but not last year. Not even close.

This guy is an idiot.

He mentions how Warner had the best 3-season span in history, but then remembers that Marino had more yards and TDs (Marino had 1355 more yards and 24 more TDs). He talks about how amazing Warner's completion percentage and 9.0 ypa is. But he fails to mention how much of that is attributed to the dump-off passes to Marshall Faulk in the flat.

Pricko

Last edited by a moderator:
NO DOUBT SAM MADISON should be on this list!! How does an A$$WIPE like this PETE PRISCO get a job writing on football, when he shows week in week out:THAT HE HAS NO F#@KING CLUE ABOUT THE NFL and FOOTBALL!!! SAM IS THE BEST SHUTDOWN CORNER IN THE LEAGUE!!!! WHAT A D!CKCHEW!!!! Then he actually said that WARNER is better than MARINO??? That's just a TRAVESTY against PHINS FANS!!! HE JUST DECLARED WAR!!!!

Originally posted by Muck
Sam Madison should be there. Surtain was better in 2000, but not last year. Not even close.

This guy is an idiot.

He mentions how Warner had the best 3-season span in history, but then remembers that Marino had more yards and TDs (Marino had 1355 more yards and 24 more TDs). He talks about how amazing Warner's completion percentage and 9.0 ypa is. But he fails to mention how much of that is attributed to the dump-off passes to Marshall Faulk in the flat.

Pricko

Plus Warner had two Pro Bowl WRs, a great O-line, and a very good defense on his team during those years.

Reason #234 to hate Pete Prisco: Fred Taylor is at #34, and Ricky Williams is not on the list at all.

Reason #235 to hate Pete Prisco: Fred Smoot is at #35, which is higher than both Pat Surtain(48) and Sam Madison(Not on the list).

Reason #236 to hate Pete Prisco: Hugh Douglas(32) is 8 spots ahead of Jason Taylor(40).

Is this guy an idiot or what?

In all honesty, I'm surprised Pete has lasted this long. Not as a fan of the Dolphins, but as a fan of the NFL, I am insulted by these ratings. Take away Bruce, Holt, and and Marshall faulk, and what do you have? Hell, take away Faulk and see what you have(see Superbowl against Patriots). Marino, Young, Montana, Elways, are in a TOTALLY different league than Warner. I didn't watch Fred Smoot play, but rating him above 2 of the leagues best for the last 3 season, it is just plain idiotic. I know this is his opinion, but CBS needs to seriously take a look at the quality of his "opinions" and the idiocy of some of his statements......

Fred Smoot, thats a riot, i need to get to know his dealer. pete must be a crack head. Smoot had 5 picks and 28 tackles (if you have seen him he tackles like a kicker). and for him to get listed ZT who has 2 picks (one a pic 6) 2 Forced fumbels, 3 sacks and 154 tackles gets dumped, and smoots fellow rookie chris chambers who had 48 receptions 883 yrds an 18.4 average 7 tds and 18 catches of over twenty tards get gets lost in the shuffle. nothing against smoot but you have to be kidding. And Warner, what can you say, those other fellas little petey dismissed did it during good and bad times, lets see Warner in some bad times then well talk.

That's true. I'm curious as to how Warner plays when his team is mediocre at best. However, I do think that Warner is among the top QBs in the NFL regardless. You can't argue with his accuracy and awareness. I like the guy. I may root against him. But as a football fan, watching him is a pleasure.

One quick note. I must give Warner credit. I forgot that Kurt missed 5 games in 2000. Remember the record-breaking pace he was at before he got hurt?? Warner would have had a legitimate shot at Marino's three-year yardage record. It's not unlikely that Warner could have averaged 271 yds in those 5 games. Hell, he was averaging 377 yds in the 6 games before injury.

The TD record would probably have safe. But the yardage one likely would have fallen.

Back
Top Bottom