NFL's Official Greatest Team of All Time: 1972 Miami Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL's Official Greatest Team of All Time: 1972 Miami Dolphins

Digital

Starter
Club Member
Reaction score
Justice is served.

It's official, the NFL has ranked all the teams throughout its history for its 100 year anniversary. The #1 greatest team of all time is .... The 1972 Miami Dolphins.

They have been releasing videos to celebrate the countdown, and here's the website for all of those videos from 100 down to the Greatest Team Ever, the #1 Miami Dolphins:

Top 100 NFL Teams of All Time

And, here is the link for the 1972 Miami Dolphins video:

Undefeated 1972 Miami Dolphins - NFL's Official Greatest Team Ever

Boom. As Larry Csonka puts it,

"Perfection is perfection. Close … get a cigar. There's only one team that drinks the champagne."

Last edited:
People can say "oh, they didn't blow teams away" and "look at their schedule" and "they couldn't beat any modern team". All true, but it's also true that they beat everyone on their schedule. That's it. The discussion begins and ends there. No one else, including the "18 Wins and 1 Giant Loss" 2007 Patriots, can lay claim to that. And yes, the record probably won't be broke, and if it is, then so be it. No one will ever forget who did it first.

Yep, everybody else lost except the ‘72 Dolphins- they are #1 case closed.

OK, I'll be the one to say it:

This isn't even OUR best team ever, so not sure if they're the NFL's best ever either? And it's not just me saying it. Nick Buoniconti always said that the '73 team was better than the '72 team. It had two losses and also two victories over the Colts and Raiders that year so they kind of avenged those. They weren't 17-0 but 15-2 and the playoff results were so one-sided it wasn't funny. What they did to the Raiders and Vikings those last two games was comical and almost criminal as they took with impunity. Was that game in super bowl VIII a record-breaker for time played? It sure seemed like it as the Vikings couldn't get the ball back. Seemed like a very fast game. Great OL, DL, rushing attack and some vintage Griese sprinkled in. A lesser record but a better overall team by the end. Place the '72 team in the post season vs the '73 team and the latter probably wins with their overall extra experience. The 1973 team had it all on display at the end......and was probably our best ever.

Justice is served.

It's official, the NFL has ranked all the teams throughout its history for its 100 year anniversary. The #1 greatest team of all time is .... The 1972 Miami Dolphins.

They have been releasing videos to celebrate the countdown, and here's the website for all of those videos from 100 down to the Greatest Team Ever, the #1 Miami Dolphins:

"Perfection is perfection. Close … get a cigar. There's only one team that drinks the champagne."
man that was great, i was 12 years old...imagine how long I've been suffering

All stand and heap praise and most importantly........

ACKNOWLEDGE

Special shout out to the 73 team who really were just as special in their own unique way

Justice is served.

Thanks for posting, our history means a lot to many of us

That was a long time ago in an NFL far far away.

There’s only one perfect team.

Coincidences...both of my parents, heck, my Dad’s whole side of the family were/are huge Fins fans. My Dad never got to see the Dolphins win a Super Bowl; he passed when I was a toddler, shortly after Super Bowl VI. After he passed, the Dolphins didn’t lose again for a year and a half.

My Mom passed when I was a junior in High School - the weekend after her funeral, the Dolphins wrecked the Bears’ perfect season.

I figured they were both somewhere smiling.

Thanks for posting, our history means a lot to many of us
Amen brother, I'm right there with ya. In my mind, this rights a wrong that has deeply wounded our great Perfectionists when a non-NFL entity (Sports Illustrated? NFL Films? can't recall who) wrongly crowned the Pittsburgh Steelers the greatest team of all time (note: small caps because it wasn't official). But now the NFL has spoken OFFICIALLY and acknowledged the obvious … PERFECTION is always better than near-perfection. Our Miami Dolphins were a great team and are a proud and great franchise. We'll return to the top again, hopefully soon.

There shouldn't be any doubt. Haters like to point to the playoffs and close wins, but many of those people don't realize that Miami had to win on the road in Pittsburgh. Factor in Bob Griese coming back and that presented a challenge.

Still the only team to lead in total offense, total defense, most points scored and fewest points allowed in the same season.

Closest ever to a super bowl shutout, with Washington scoring a special teams touchdown with, I believe, 2:07 to play.

Allowed only one play of 15 or more yards in the super bowl.

OK, I'll be the one to say it:

This isn't even OUR best team ever, so not sure if they're the NFL's best ever either? And it's not just me saying it. Nick Buoniconti always said that the '73 team was better than the '72 team. It had two losses and also two victories over the Colts and Raiders that year so they kind of avenged those. They weren't 17-0 but 15-2 and the playoff results were so one-sided it wasn't funny. What they did to the Raiders and Vikings those last two games was comical and almost criminal as they took with impunity. Was that game in super bowl VIII a record-breaker for time played? It sure seemed like it as the Vikings couldn't get the ball back. Seemed like a very fast game. Great OL, DL, rushing attack and some vintage Griese sprinkled in. A lesser record but a better overall team by the end. Place the '72 team in the post season vs the '73 team and the latter probably wins with their overall extra experience. The 1973 team had it all on display at the end......and was probably our best ever.
I will say, best-ever two year run.

Back
Top Bottom