Nice Story On WR Mike Walker

dougfinsfan72

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Receiver Mike Walker could be next Colston

By Carlos "Big C" Holmes
Staff Writer

Monday, March 12, 2007

This year's draft class of wide receivers is turning out to be one the strongest and fastest class in recent years. With so much depth at the position, NFL scouts should have no problem finding this year's Marques Colston, who came out of nowhere to have an impact season for the New Orleans Saints.
If I could steer scouts in the direction of a little-known prospect worthy of keeping a close eye on, it would be in the direction of Central Florida WR Mike Walker.
Since showing off his bank-robber speed at the combine when he ran a 4.35 seconds in the 40-yard dash, Walker has received a lot of attention from teams and is creeping up some draft boards like a thief in the night.

Walker worked out for roughly 30 teams during the school's Pro Day last Thursday and continued to improve his stock. Relying on his combine numbers, Walker did not redo any of the combine drills, except for the 60-yard shuttle. That was OK with scouts, for they were satisfied with the numbers he posted at the combine. However, they were very interested in watching how well the receiver performed on the field. Walker didn't disappoint.
As good as any
Walker ran exceptional routes and caught everything in sight during receiving drills. If the flu bug were floating around that day, he would have caught it. He was very sure-handed.
One receiver's coach said, "He looked as good as any of the top receivers in the draft." That would explain why the San Diego Chargers were out in full force.
The Chargers organization was well represented at the workout with four members, which included General Manager A.J. Smith in attendance. The Chargers came away so impressed with the receiver that they are flying him out to San Diego in early April for interviews.
Walker also has several private workouts arranged, starting with the Chiefs, who worked him out on Sunday.
Three other teams, Bengals, Browns, Colts, with notable interest in drafting a young receiver to groom, were on hand to get a good look at the player the coaching staff called the team's best all-around athlete.
A former corner
Walker led the team in interceptions with three picks while playing corner his sophomore year at Central Florida. Not surprising since his primary position in high school was cornerback.
Walker made the switch to receiver once he entered college. He credits former wide receivers coach D.J. McCarthy, who coached him for two years before moving on to UCLA and now LSU, with his development.
At 6-foot-2, 210 pounds, Walker is a well-built receiver with outstanding speed and quickness. He's a big-play receiver who is physical and will go up to catch a pass in heavy traffic. Walker is a good route runner and possesses a nice pair of mitts. He is very intelligent and will use his knowledge of playing corner to out think defenders covering him to get open.
Under the radar
Walker has drawn comparisons to Houston Texans WR Andre Johnson. Coincidently, the Texans are another team with designs on Walker.
Walker had been flying under the radar for a number of reasons. One reason being is he's coming off a season-ending knee injury suffered in the final regular-season game in '05, which gave cause for some concerns. Another reason is scouts had him down as running in the 4.5 range in the 40, but Walker quickly eased concerns about the knee when he scorched the track at the combine and left scouts flabbergasted by the performance.
Mike on Mike
When asked what a team would be getting if they draft him. Walker spoke loud and clear.
"A productive receiver who works hard 24/7 and takes football seriously," Walker said. "They'll get a receiver with good knowledge of the game and who is not a troublemaker. There will be none of that stuff. They'll just get a receiver with a good attitude who is a good all-round person."
I say, sign him up.
Walker is a fast riser, and no one receiver is moving up the chart like Mike.

If the COLTS are interested in him, Miami NEEDS TO TAKE A CLOSER LOOK at him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Third round pick easy, I have a feeling that he wont last till our pick in the fourth round (someone is going to re-evaluate their draft board and he is going to be gone) Another WR (from the state of FLA we need to look at during the 6th and 7th Rounds is Dallas Baker and Ryan Moore i prefer Moore over Baker, but back reminds me of Orande (jump up and get it, plus he has good hands)

I don't think Walker will be the next Colston because too many teams know about him. Colston flew under the radar after he did not impress scout during Senior Bowl week and many of them didn't see him in the game.

Walker played CB his sophomore season because of injuries to the UCF secondary so he and Brandon Marshall moved to defense to help the team out. I think that experience helped him.

Under the radar? To the media but not to those who has seen him play.

Third round pick easy, I have a feeling that he wont last till our pick in the fourth round (someone is going to re-evaluate their draft board and he is going to be gone) Another WR (from the state of FLA we need to look at during the 6th and 7th Rounds is Dallas Baker and Ryan Moore i prefer Moore over Baker, but back reminds me of Orande (jump up and get it, plus he has good hands)
Ryan Moore's inconsistent play at Miami and his less than impressive time of 4.54 at the combine. coupled with his 4.59 and 4.63 at his pro day makes him a candidate for UDFA.

Back
Top Bottom