Nick Saban Naming Dan Marino As One Of The Best Qbs He Has Ever Seen. | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nick Saban Naming Dan Marino As One Of The Best Qbs He Has Ever Seen.

nick-saban-wife-123115-getty-ftr_tjv2y5p5k2wj1th1hk5urqlhk.jpg

Yeah it might be. I’m willing to learn though.

I’m ready to begin when you are.
I already started. You missed your class.

You actually think some hotshot coach or promoted from within scout is going to come in and make the Dolphins a winner?
I’m waiting for it.

And where do you think GMs come from? Amazon.com? Dairy aisle at the grocery store? They are all promoted either from within or from other teams. :bobdole:

I am done with this stupid go-around. That is truly like talking to the college version of nyjunc.

I got a better idea - get out of sports bars.

Douchenozzle NFL fans that hang out in sports bars are the least informed people you can find. Other than the media. Start talking to people who actually have knowledge and who’s opinions matter - like former players, coaches, and employers who have hired Saban.

All those fans that say they despise him just say it because he beats their brains out. Those LSU fans that say they despise him would love him again if he went back to LSU.
I dont think you're going to win that fight on a Fins message board, for obvious reasons. Things are way out of line when a dude gets called a piece of **** and a bad human being for lying while solidifiying another opportunity... I mean that would make 99.9% of successfull people assholes...

Back to the topic at hand: Saban, Miami Dolphins, Dan Marino.

Any further mentioning of LSU fans, Saban as a college coach or calling NFL fans or anybody douchnozzles will get points and a thread ban.

I already started. You missed your class.

I am done with this stupid go-around. That is truly like talking to the college version of nyjunc.

Tell me where scouts come from and what makes them qualified. Did they go to scout school and get a degree in talent evaluation?

Secondly, what qualifies a GM to be a GM?

Tell me where scouts come from and what makes them qualified. Did they go to scout school and get a degree in talent evaluation?

Secondly, what qualifies a GM to be a GM?
Ted, you know I respect the hell out of you and your knowledge and of course @Namor the submariner is a long term bud. However, you have to admit that the only defenders of Saban's Fins performance and the way he left are Alabama fans. I know you guys won't concede it, but I do firmly believe that also as Fins fans, if he pulled this crap and went anywhere but Alabama, you'd have the same opinion as the majority of us.

Everybody defends their current coach/ players. Alabama fans in my experience do it to the death right there with any other homer. They just think they are right cuz their team is one of the best out there

The key is self awareness just don't act like you aren't doing what everybody else does

The structure of the NFL handcuffed Saban imo. Can't just recruit unlimited talent. Limited by the draft and salary cap.

Most importantly getting an elite QB is vital to longterm excellence. Belichick's teams haven't been all that good without some guy named Brady playing QB.

IMO, what happened in the NFL shows that he isn’t the greatest of coaches, but rather a great recruiter and identifier of talent. Unlike college, he could identify the talent in the NFL but he couldn’t recruit it all.

Not all, but lots of coaches can win when they have the best talent. IMO the very best coaches often manage to win when they don’t have the best talent.

When have you ever seen Nick Saban overachieve with a lesser talented team. I’ve never seen it. He wins when he has the superior talented team. And not every time.

In MIA the deck wasn’t stacked and he had to coach against others on equal or lesser terms and he couldn’t do better than 9-7. And his coaching shtick did wear well on pro athletes as it does on collegiate players.

Bill Belichick went 11-5 with Matt Cassell at QB. He took Cleveland to the playoffs in 1994.

Don Shula won by adapting to his players strengths. He won as a run oriented offense and as a pass heavy offense. He won with offensive and defensive deficient teams.

Urban Meyer won at Bowling Green and at Utah when he didn’t have the absolute best blue chip talent around.

IMO that’s what truly great coaches do.

They didn't change the rules in 2004, they started enforcing the no contact of WR beyond 5 yards after Patriot secondary mauled Colts receivers in AFC championship game in 2003.

Tony Dungy, then Colts coach, was on a rules subcommittee as passing was down to it's lowest YPG in 2003 since 1992. Fans do like offense.

Not to belittle your point as I'm in total agreement with you. And it's become even more so since.

According to the QB rating formula used Kirk Cousins is the 9th best QB all time and Tannehill is 28th, ahead of Marino.

What a joke!!

If you alter the way rules are enforced, you effectively change the rules and the game....Illegal contact, and a crackdown on PI. This basically took away the true physical corner that wasn't great in coverage but could maul the reciever so he couldn't get out to the route in the first place.

Obviously this gave birth to a new Era of speedy WRs who would have been pounded into the dirt under the old format, and passing offense has never looked back.

Marino’s records got destroyed by it.

Douchenozzle NFL fans that hang out in sports bars are the least informed people you can find. Other than the media. Start talking to people who actually have knowledge and who’s opinions matter - like former players, coaches, and employers who have hired Saban.

All those fans that say they despise him just say it because he beats their brains out. Those LSU fans that say they despise him would love him again if he went back to LSU.

The only reason I don’t respect Nick Saban is that he lied about leaving for Alabama....he could have just said “no comment” on his future until after the season...but he chose to lie.

Lovie Smith coached the Bears to the Superbowl and can't even win 5 games in the B1G. Harbaugh coached the 49ers to the superbowl and can't even beat a college coach like Urban Meyer.

It's not about whether you can coach or not in the NFL. There might be 2 coaches in the NFL that could come to Bama and not be fired within 3 years.
Nama was nothing for decades till Sabin arrived

https://image.shutterstock.com/image-vector/turd-on-ground-piece-brown-600w-528793003.jpg That’s your beloved Nick Satan ...a pice of ****!

Ted, you know I respect the hell out of you and your knowledge and of course @Namor the submariner is a long term bud. However, you have to admit that the only defenders of Saban's Fins performance and the way he left are Alabama fans. I know you guys won't concede it, but I do firmly believe that also as Fins fans, if he pulled this crap and went anywhere but Alabama, you'd have the same opinion as the majority of us.

I think that’s because Alabama fans know what the truth is. To be honest, a lot of Bama people knew Saban was coming to Alabama about 3 days before it happened. Before the media or anybody else knew about it. So it wasn’t a surprise to anybody but Dolphin fans really.

Most of em are still so mad because they all looked like idiots for defending him constantly and saying he wasn’t leaving. Because that’s what fans do. They don’t know what they don’t know. All they know is they feel like they’re supposed to defend players and coaches and GM’s to the death. Or they’re not fans.

Truth is, Dolphin fans don’t know sh^t about what it’s like to be left high and dry without a coach. Alabama fans do. We literally woke up one morning to find out Dennis Franchione had left in the middle of the night.

So don’t lump Saban in with the slime balls like Franchione, or Bobby Petrino who literally quit on the Falcons with games still left to play to go back to college football.

The reason I do t think I would have the same opinion if Saban had left and went somewhere else, is because of what I said earlier. I understand the lifestyle and what all it entails. I understand what it’s like to be a hired gun. I understand what it’s like to come home to a miserable wife and kids everyday because of the choice I made in terms of my job.

I understand what it’s like to realize you made a mistake, and take an opportunity to rectify it so you AND your family can be happy again.

Every region of the country isn’t for everybody. Everybody tries to be where they’re happiest at. Everybody.

Saban wasn’t successful in Miami. But there was a lot more to it than just him. It likely all changes if the team doctors just sign off on Drew Brees’ shoulder. But, it just wasn’t meant to be.

If you alter the way rules are enforced, you effectively change the rules and the game....Illegal contact, and a crackdown on PI. This basically took away the true physical corner that wasn't great in coverage but could maul the reciever so he couldn't get out to the route in the first place.

Obviously this gave birth to a new Era of speedy WRs who would have been pounded into the dirt under the old format, and passing offense has never looked back.

Marino’s records got destroyed by it.

The only reason I don’t respect Nick Saban is that he lied about leaving for Alabama....he could have just said “no comment” on his future until after the season...but he chose to lie.

Go back and rewatch all those Saban press conferences for the Dolphins after the Alabama rumors started circulating in the media. Pay attention to the dates, and what Saban said. He didn’t lie. And he did try to say no comment, but the south Florida media simply wouldn’t have it.

Alabama fired Mike Shula around November 28th - Saban and Steve Spurrier had both turned down the Alabama job in the days after that.

Alabama offered the job to Rich Rodriguez and agreed to term for him to be Bama’s next head coach on December 7th. All that was left was for Rich Rod to sign the contract and inform his team at West Virginia that he was leaving.

When Saban said he wasn’t going to be the Alabama coach - it was 3 weeks after Alabama had already hired Rich Rod. So how the hell did he lie?

The truth is, Miami still had 2 games left to play, and the media just kept asking him if the rumors about Alabama were true. Saban acknowledged to the media that Alabama and Mal Moore had contacted his agent Jimmy Sexton to see if Saban was interested. But he told them he wasnt interested. That’s why Bama moved on to offer Rich Rod the job.

But the media kept hounding Saban with the Alabama questions. His response was he didn’t know what rumors were flying around up in Tuscaloosa or anywhere else - that he was focused on the Dolphins - and did they have any questions regarding the team he was actually responsible for coaching. The Dolphins. They didn’t.

He finally just said “Well I guess I just have to say it - I’m not going to be the Alabama coach”. He had to in order to get them to stop asking him about it. And he was telling the truth when he said it.

However, what nobody knew at that time was that Rich Rod would back out of the Alabama job. He ended up deciding to stay at WV after they offered him a big raise.

This opened the door one last time for Robert Whitt and Mal Moore to make one last desperation push for Saban. Alabama had already been putting a lot of pressure on Saban.

Saban was still going to stay and honor his contract to Wayne, but Wayne told him to go if he and his wife weren’t going to be happy there. Saban left with Wayne’s blessing.

After he finally accepted Alabama’s offer - he looked over at Mal Moore on the plane ride back to Tuscaloosa and said, “I just want you to know you hired a horsesh^t football coach. But nobody will out recruit me”.

Saban made the right decision for everyone involved. Him, his family, Alabama, and the Dolphins.

I mean hate him all you want. But I know there’s not a person posting on a message board anywhere that’s righteous enough to pass judgment on Saban. Or anybody else for that matter.

Last edited:
Nama was nothing for decades till Sabin arrived

https://image.shutterstock.com/image-vector/turd-on-ground-piece-brown-600w-528793003.jpg That’s your beloved Nick Satan ...a pice of ****!

Well, Alabama had won a national championship 15 years before Saban came.

Won at least one national championship in literally every decade except for the 50’s and the 80’s going all the back to the 1920’s.

When’s the last time the Dolphins won a championship. Hell, when’s the last time they won a playoff game.

IMO, what happened in the NFL shows that he isn’t the greatest of coaches, but rather a great recruiter and identifier of talent. Unlike college, he could identify the talent in the NFL but he couldn’t recruit it all.

Not all, but lots of coaches can win when they have the best talent. IMO the very best coaches often manage to win when they don’t have the best talent.

When have you ever seen Nick Saban overachieve with a lesser talented team. I’ve never seen it. He wins when he has the superior talented team. And not every time.

In MIA the deck wasn’t stacked and he had to coach against others on equal or lesser terms and he couldn’t do better than 9-7. And his coaching shtick did wear well on pro athletes as it does on collegiate players.

Bill Belichick went 11-5 with Matt Cassell at QB. He took Cleveland to the playoffs in 1994.

Don Shula won by adapting to his players strengths. He won as a run oriented offense and as a pass heavy offense. He won with offensive and defensive deficient teams.

Urban Meyer won at Bowling Green and at Utah when he didn’t have the absolute best blue chip talent around.

IMO that’s what truly great coaches do.

I laughed pretty hard at this one. That’s a good one EJay you almost had me.

The entire point of showing up to a head coaching job in college football, is to bring in the best talent you can get. That’s what Urban Meyer does, that’s what Nick Saban does.

The difference is, Meyer is a true scumbag and it’s reflected in the type of program he runs. Both at Florida and Ohio St. He’ll do anything he’s not supposed to be doing. Until he suddenly has a health issue.

Saban won at Toledo. Coordinated the best defense in the league in the NFL with the Browns. Won at Michigan St. and LSU.

He came in and literally turned around losing programs everywhere he’s been. That’s what Urban does too, just does it in a way that makes programs regret hiring him in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom