Nick Saban Naming Dan Marino As One Of The Best Qbs He Has Ever Seen. | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nick Saban Naming Dan Marino As One Of The Best Qbs He Has Ever Seen.

Go back and rewatch all those Saban press conferences for the Dolphins after the Alabama rumors started circulating in the media. Pay attention to the dates, and what Saban said. He didn’t lie. And he did try to say no comment, but the south Florida media simply wouldn’t have it.

Alabama fired Mike Shula around November 28th - Saban and Steve Spurrier had both turned down the Alabama job in the days after that.

Alabama offered the job to Rich Rodriguez and agreed to term for him to be Bama’s next head coach on December 7th. All that was left was for Rich Rod to sign the contract and inform his team at West Virginia that he was leaving.

When Saban said he wasn’t going to be the Alabama coach - it was 3 weeks after Alabama had already hired Rich Rod. So how the hell did he lie?

The truth is, Miami still had 2 games left to play, and the media just kept asking him if the rumors about Alabama were true. Saban acknowledged to the media that Alabama and Mal Moore had contacted his agent Jimmy Sexton to see if Saban was interested. But he told them he wasnt interested. That’s why Bama moved on to offer Rich Rod the job.

But the media kept hounding Saban with the Alabama questions. His response was he didn’t know what rumors were flying around up in Tuscaloosa or anywhere else - that he was focused on the Dolphins - and did they have any questions regarding the team he was actually responsible for coaching. The Dolphins. They didn’t.

He finally just said “Well I guess I just have to say it - I’m not going to be the Alabama coach”. He had to in order to get them to stop asking him about it. And he was telling the truth when he said it.

However, what nobody knew at that time was that Rich Rod would back out of the Alabama job. He ended up deciding to stay at WV after they offered him a big raise.

This opened the door one last time for Robert Whitt and Mal Moore to make one last desperation push for Saban. Alabama had already been putting a lot of pressure on Saban.

Saban was still going to stay and honor his contract to Wayne, but Wayne told him to go if he and his wife weren’t going to be happy there. Saban left with Wayne’s blessing.

After he finally accepted Alabama’s offer - he looked over at Mal Moore on the plane ride back to Tuscaloosa and said, “I just want you to know you hired a horsesh^t football coach. But nobody will out recruit me”.

Saban made the right decision for everyone involved. Him, his family, Alabama, and the Dolphins.

I mean hate him all you want. But I know there’s not a person posting on a message board anywhere that’s righteous enough to pass judgment on Saban. Or anybody else for that matter.
All this rambling to say the media made him lie because they wouldn't leave the poor man alone?

Now your sounding pathetic defending him.

All this rambling to say the media made him lie because they wouldn't leave the poor man alone?

Now your sounding pathetic defending him.

I’m not defending him, I just laid out a few facts. So people can be more informed and draw their own conclusion.

I don’t have to defend him. There’s nothing to defend. He made the right decision.

Why would anybody have to defend him? Because the the poor little sportswriters in south Florida started a narrative because they didn’t like him? Saban lied to us! Saban lied to us! Saban didn’t know Rich Rod was going to decide to stay at WV.

Because the media knows most people are too stupid and too lazy to figure things out on their own. It’s ridiculous how people WANT to be told what to think these days.

Furthermore, nobody said the media made him lie because they wouldn’t leave him alone. He didn’t lie. He just finally got aggravated at the sportswriters questions and let it get under his skin. But he had already acknowledged Alabama had contacted his agent and he said he wasn’t interested. He wishes he would’ve handled it a little differently, but that’s his weakness - the media and their moronic questions.

But you’ve always been a very suspicious poster. I believe I figured out why a long time ago.

I’m not defending him, I just laid out a few facts. So people can be more informed and draw their own conclusion.

I don’t have to defend him. There’s nothing to defend. He made the right decision.

Why would anybody have to defend him? Because the the poor little sportswriters in south Florida started a narrative because they didn’t like him? Saban lied to us! Saban lied to us! Saban didn’t know Rich Rod was going to decide to stay at WV.

Because the media knows most people are too stupid and too lazy to figure things out on their own. It’s ridiculous how people WANT to be told what to think these days.

Furthermore, nobody said the media made him lie because they wouldn’t leave him alone. He didn’t lie. He just finally got aggravated at the sportswriters questions and let it get under his skin. But he had already acknowledged Alabama had contacted his agent and he said he wasn’t interested. He wishes he would’ve handled it a little differently, but that’s his weakness - the media and their moronic questions.

But you’ve always been a very suspicious poster. I believe I figured out why a long time ago.
You don't have to defend him?

You've gone at great lengths in this thread doing just that.

Go back and rewatch all those Saban press conferences for the Dolphins after the Alabama rumors started circulating in the media. Pay attention to the dates, and what Saban said. He didn’t lie. And he did try to say no comment, but the south Florida media simply wouldn’t have it.

Alabama fired Mike Shula around November 28th - Saban and Steve Spurrier had both turned down the Alabama job in the days after that.

Alabama offered the job to Rich Rodriguez and agreed to term for him to be Bama’s next head coach on December 7th. All that was left was for Rich Rod to sign the contract and inform his team at West Virginia that he was leaving.

When Saban said he wasn’t going to be the Alabama coach - it was 3 weeks after Alabama had already hired Rich Rod. So how the hell did he lie?

The truth is, Miami still had 2 games left to play, and the media just kept asking him if the rumors about Alabama were true. Saban acknowledged to the media that Alabama and Mal Moore had contacted his agent Jimmy Sexton to see if Saban was interested. But he told them he wasnt interested. That’s why Bama moved on to offer Rich Rod the job.

But the media kept hounding Saban with the Alabama questions. His response was he didn’t know what rumors were flying around up in Tuscaloosa or anywhere else - that he was focused on the Dolphins - and did they have any questions regarding the team he was actually responsible for coaching. The Dolphins. They didn’t.

He finally just said “Well I guess I just have to say it - I’m not going to be the Alabama coach”. He had to in order to get them to stop asking him about it. And he was telling the truth when he said it.

However, what nobody knew at that time was that Rich Rod would back out of the Alabama job. He ended up deciding to stay at WV after they offered him a big raise.

This opened the door one last time for Robert Whitt and Mal Moore to make one last desperation push for Saban. Alabama had already been putting a lot of pressure on Saban.

Saban was still going to stay and honor his contract to Wayne, but Wayne told him to go if he and his wife weren’t going to be happy there. Saban left with Wayne’s blessing.

After he finally accepted Alabama’s offer - he looked over at Mal Moore on the plane ride back to Tuscaloosa and said, “I just want you to know you hired a horsesh^t football coach. But nobody will out recruit me”.

Saban made the right decision for everyone involved. Him, his family, Alabama, and the Dolphins.

I mean hate him all you want. But I know there’s not a person posting on a message board anywhere that’s righteous enough to pass judgment on Saban. Or anybody else for that matter.

I respect the points you made...if those points had been made widely known at the time he might be viewed differently in South Florida. But what can we expect from the media and it’s narratives huh?

I always felt like he bailed because he screwed up picking Culpepper over Brees...and used whatever excuse to the owner ....I don’t hate...I just dislike the way it went down.

You don't have to defend him?

You've gone at great lengths in this thread doing just that.

No I just told some of the facts in terms of what happened and how. That’s not defending him.

It’s called not letting the media get away with their Saban lied to us narrative.

Sportswriters are of course bastions of the truth, keepers of the facts, and shining examples of ethics and morals everyone should aspire to.

Well, Alabama had won a national championship 15 years before Saban came.

Won at least one national championship in literally every decade except for the 50’s and the 80’s going all the back to the 1920’s.

When’s the last time the Dolphins won a championship. Hell, when’s the last time they won a playoff game.
oh the Dolphins suck ass now and for a long time too, but even with the great Satan they still sucked ass. Are you a Dolphins Fan? cause now your confusing me.

No I just told some of the facts in terms of what happened and how. That’s not defending him.

It’s called not letting the media get away with their Saban lied to us narrative.

Sportswriters are of course bastions of the truth, keepers of the facts, and shining examples of ethics and morals everyone should aspire to.
Now I heard with my own Ears Satan saying. I’m not going to be the Alabama head coach.
Is that not a lie? I understand why he wanted out because college was easier and he didn’t want to tarnish his credentials or name whatever, but it’s the way he went about doing it and quitting... it’s hypocritical really ! No “real”Dolphins fan will ever root for Saban or agree with you. To me he is trash a quitter and a hypocrite. How can he expect his players not to quit for an easier situation and not honor their commitment if he couldn’t do it?

Last edited:
The difference is, Meyer is a true scumbag and it’s reflected in the type of program he runs. Both at Florida and Ohio St. He’ll do anything he’s not supposed to be doing. Until he suddenly has a health issue.

Saban won at Toledo. Coordinated the best defense in the league in the NFL with the Browns. Won at Michigan St. and LSU.

He came in and literally turned around losing programs everywhere he’s been. That’s what Urban does too, just does it in a way that makes programs regret hiring him in the first place.

You can laugh all you want. Doesn’t make what I said any less true. I’m laughing at you believing Saban isn’t a true scumbag too. He absolutely is.

What about oversigning? A true Nick Saban and SEC speciality. Cutting kids by not renewing their scholarship if they don’t live up to their potential. They don’t allow oversigning in some other conferences.

You’re fooling yourself if you believe any of these top college coaches are great guys. It’s impossible to win w/o entering gray areas. And they all do. Period, end of story.

I’ll still argue that Saban has always been a great front runner. He wins when he has the better talent and rarely does when he doesn’t. His track record shows as much. I’m not saying he hasn’t been somewhat successful. Just nowhere near the genius he gets credit for.

He’s a great recruiter. Among the best ever. He’s also a great defensive mind. No doubt about that. But he’s not the one of the best overall coaches of all time. IDC how many titles he wins in college.

Meyer has always done more with less than Saban ever has. So have many other coaches.

What Dabo just did at Clemson last year by beating Bama with an underdog team is something we’ve never seen a Saban coached team do.

You can laugh all you want. Doesn’t make what I said any less true. I’m laughing at you believing Saban isn’t a true scumbag too. He absolutely is.

What about oversigning? A true Nick Saban and SEC speciality. Cutting kids by not renewing their scholarship if they don’t live up to their potential. They don’t allow oversigning in some other conferences.

You’re fooling yourself if you believe any of these top college coaches are great guys. It’s impossible to win w/o entering gray areas. And they all do. Period, end of story.

I’ll still argue that Saban has always been a great front runner. He wins when he has the better talent and rarely does when he doesn’t. His track record shows as much. I’m not saying he hasn’t been somewhat successful. Just nowhere near the genius he gets credit for.

He’s a great recruiter. Among the best ever. He’s also a great defensive mind. No doubt about that. But he’s not the one of the best overall coaches of all time. IDC how many titles he wins in college.

Meyer has always done more with less than Saban ever has. So have many other coaches.

What Dabo just did at Clemson last year by beating Bama with an underdog team is something we’ve never seen a Saban coached team do.

Just because you're stubborn don't make you any less clueless. You just said it - oversigning is a conference by conference rule. Either allow it in your conference or shut the hell up is what it boils down to. Athletic scholarships have always been 1 year deals.

If you've got some proof of Saban cheating, either put it out there or you just sound like another envious B1G derp.

In terms of where he ranks on a list of coaches, that's an opinion. Yours is biased and wrong - but you're allowed to have it anyway.

Saban is the best recruiter in history. Personally, I don't put him on the level of Bear Bryant as a coach in terms of X's and O's. Bryant actually invented the shade techniques that all these coaches use nowdays. But Saban is almost as flexible and chameleon like as Bryant was with the ability to adapt. Almost.

Meyer has done nothing with less. Just because you keep saying it doesn't make it any less false.

Saban and Alabama were an underdog when they stomped Urban Meyer and defending national champion Florida in the SEC Championship Game in 2009 - prompting Meyer's first "health issue". Alabama hasn't gotten any shots to perform as underdogs since then. They've been favored in almost every game since.

It's a lot easier to coach from the underdog role than it is from being a front runner. Complacency and satisfaction tend to set in with the players no matter where it's at. We'll see how well Dabo and Clemson handle being the front runner now. Everybody telling you and the players how great you are all the time. Dabo's constant poor mouthing won't work from that angle. He's one of the big boys now. Clemson as well. It's time to start acting like it.

Nick Saban is definitely an ethically flexible person. I don't think Alabama cheats any more than any other college team -- they all bend the rules -- but I believe he benefits from getting away with it more than a lot of other guys do.

And I certainly wouldn't call him a bigger scumbag than Urban Meyer. Quite the opposite. Nick Saban is a JERK, yeah. But Urban Meyer, based on the undercover reporting that came out last year, sounds like legitimate sociopath. Yelling at an intern because she said 'good morning' to you in the hallway is pretty pathetic, but it's definitely not as bad as bullying 19 year old college kids until their legs (literally) rupture in the gym.

Nick Saban is definitely an ethically flexible person. I don't think Alabama cheats any more than any other college team -- they all bend the rules -- but I believe he benefits from getting away with it more than a lot of other guys do.

That's certainly an interesting take - I'd be interested in learning more about this.

In terms of oversigning - a lot of programs do it in all conferences. Including in the Big-10 and especially Ohio St.

Scholarships are 1 year contracts which the University decides to renew or not. Players who aren't good enough to see the field or have injuries or bad attitudes sometimes decide to move on with a little encouragement from the program. No program that I know of flat out decides not to renew a player's scholarship. It would be a recruiting nightmare to have to explain to prospective recruits and their parents.

Grayshirting for example, is implemented to benefit student athletes more than the programs. It gives teams a year or so to evaluate student athletes and decide whether they earn a scholarship or not.

Where critics of oversigning get it wrong is they just look at the number of recruits a program signs to LOI's vs the scholarship limit for the fiscal year. As long as you have a maximum of 85 by the start of August practice, that's all that matters. Saban isn't signing kids that don't have a spot.

If anything, Saban has actually overused the medical scholarship allowing student athletes to continue attending school at no cost. He's not casting kids out like Houston Nutt was doing at Ole Miss. Or Randy Shannon at Miami. Or Jim Tressell at Ohio St. On and on...

Believe me, the instant someone can catch Saban doing something wrong or unethical they'll be all over it. Scumbags like Urban Meyer leave trouble behind everywhere they go. Even Jim Harbaugh pointed that out a few weeks ago. Saban hasn't left anything nefarious at any program he's been. The only thing he's left anywhere when he decided to move on was a talented roster for the incoming coach to win with.

Saban is a worm weasel. I mean he even looks like a worm weasel!

But we all know how it works in today's society. Produce a winner

and they'll love you. If Saban openly declared his true identity as

Satan today at a 3PM presser -- the bama cult would still defend him.

All that matters is winning football games.

My opinion. Of course.

Saban is a worm weasel. I mean he even looks like a worm weasel!

But we all know how it works in today's society. Produce a winner

and they'll love you. If Saban openly declared his true identity as

Satan today at a 3PM presser -- the bama cult would still defend him.

All that matters is winning football games.

My opinion. Of course.

I think all anybody is asking for is something - anything - that identifies him as the lowdown, slimy, lying, cheating, scoundrel, dirty, unethical, wormy, cheating, satan worshiping demon that a few jilted folks claim him to be.

I mean just something. Anything.

A lot of people just feel like they're missing out on all the fun.

Back
Top Bottom