Nick Saban | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nick Saban

Apologies should have looked that one up lol. His record at college level is good. It's a shame that his time in South Florida didn't work out.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him make it back to the NFL as a head coach, honestly. The NFL is the place he didnt really excel as a head coach. For a guy like him, that has to linger. Unless he just absolutely hated coaching NFL players, he might feel like his mission is incomplete.

I believe he would’ve made a great coach (long term), but he needed to take some lumps that his ego wouldn’t allow. I didn’t like him when he quit, but I can’t hold that grudge when I think about the good things I got from the book he wrote.

He's getting old. More likely he just retires completely soon.

He didn't want to coach in the NFL so he quit to coach at the college level. I doubt he'll ever want to coach in the NFL again. Why deal with all the jerks in the NFL when he can do whatever he wants in college.
You hit the nail on the head plus I think he makes more money in college. The NFL gig just was not as simple as he thought.

If they would have signed Brees, Saban would still be coaching the team and would have multiple SB wins.
But would Brees have the same talent around him that he has generally enjoyed in New Orleans had he stayed in Miami? I'm kinda dubious of that.

We need to stop this.
First of all Saban is a great college coach but he is probably the first one to admit that the NFL is not for him.
Secondly don't blame the coach blame the one who hired him.
Thirdly it was the year when Wayne H went against his advisers recommendation and hired Saban and Mueller rather than Ted Thompson.
Finally we need to stop living in the past (good or bad).

While he wasn’t successful in Miami, I wouldn’t say he failed as an nfl coach. We were a dark horse super bowl pick heading into his 2nd season. Unfortunately, our starting and backup QBs were injured and we went 6-10. He’s one of the two best football coaches in the world and I have no doubt he would have been successful if he stuck it out in Miami. Of course, passing on Brees set us back but that is on the doctors, not Saban.

He passed on Aaron Rogers and drafted a 23 yo part time starter in Ronnie Brown, at a position (RB) that typically has a short lifespan. He then drafted Jason Allen the following year.
Personnel decisions were all on Saban. Huizenga gave him near complete control. It’s a cop out to blame his mediocrity on the doctors.

I think he would have ultimately had success. Both seasons the team peaked at times and went on short rolls with very good fundamental play. The personnel side - he wasn’t so good but my bet is he figures it out if he stays. Great coach on any level. I think deep down a lot of us know it and it’s why we get so sore when his name comes up.

He passed on Aaron Rogers and drafted a 23 yo part time starter in Ronnie Brown, at a position (RB) that typically has a short lifespan. He then drafted Jason Allen the following year.
Personnel decisions were all on Saban. Huizenga gave him near complete control. It’s a cop out to blame his mediocrity on the doctors.
Almost every team passed on Rodgers. That’s like saying we passed on Brady. We needed a rb due to the Ricky drama. It’s true that his two drafts were not great.

If Saban signed Brees like he should have he would still be coaching. We would have won five superbowls and we would be toast of the league.

With all these threads about 'they shoivr have signed this guy', or 'they shouldn't have let this guy walk' and 'this coach or that coach would have us winning' you would think it was the off season already.

I could make the same argument for Dave Wannstadt.[/QUOTE
No you could not..stop being stupid!! The garbage man tried to micro manage Nick...Wayne wouldn’t sign off on Brees...Then Nick got a better job offer.The rest is history..

Back
Top Bottom