No BS, what veterans will get cut? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

No BS, what veterans will get cut?

Fin Fan in Cali said:
Bottom line, what has Lee done that should keep him on the roster?
I think that he has a lot of potential. Even if you disagree with this, you can't cut him and leave McMichael as the only TE. Plus, Saban would have adressed the backup TE position if he felt that Lee wasn't any good.

Travis Minor- I'm honestly quite surprised we re-signed him. I guess that that was to have another RB on the depth chart before the draft to lead people to believe maybe we wouldn't go with a RB, same with Sage Rosenfels and QB. I don't know... but I think with Ronnie Brown, possibly Ricky Williams, Lamar Gordon, and Kay Jay Harris.. no doubt that Travis Minor will be released.

David Bowens- Out of this list, David Bowens and Donald Lee are the ones I wouldn't mind... if we ended up keeping him but I think he might have to go because of his salary. I think it would be more benifical to have the money he's getting to put to use in acquiring R.W. McQuarters (if we decide to go into that direction) rather than keeping him around just for depth. DT is a major concern in our opinion and I'm content with Jason Taylor, Matt Roth, Vonnie Holiday, Kevin Carter, and Ronald Flemons who I hope we keep if we release David Bowens.

Donald Lee- I think that there's a possiblity that Lee will be cut for the simple fact we picked up Alex Holmes. If Alex Holmes starts impressing, I think Lee will be gone. Though I wouldn't mind keeping him because I think he can still improve and work on his catching and holding onto the ball

Taylor Whitley- I believe he was the "revolving door".
clear.gif

Oh yes, apparently he was. The guy is due to be making $380K this season and $460K next year... there's starving people in China who could benefit so much from that money. I want to feed the needy by releasing Whitley... I hope they show Whitley the door (no not the revolving one) and release him. Okay, that was a bit harsh... but I wanted him to be released already! :yell:

And I'm really hoping that we do not cut Derrius Thompson. I don't think it would be such a good move and I was been very happy if Thompson restructured his contract. I love our depth and I love our WR core and I think he would be a really 4th WR for us.

Anthony3454 said:
I think that he has a lot of potential. Even if you disagree with this, you can't cut him and leave McMichael as the only TE. Plus, Saban would have adressed the backup TE position if he felt that Lee wasn't any good.
Potential is one thing, but I have yet to see it on game day on a consistant basis. I wouldn't cut him if there wasn't any one to step in his place. I am just saying that Lee in not all that and a bag of chips. I just don't see him making the team.

thatrutho7 said:
:eek: No! Not Minor.. please :cry:
Minor is another one that has not stepped it up. He can be a return man, but that is it. he doesn't offer enough flexibility for the team to keep him.

Vernon Carey actually played well in his 2 games. It's St. Clair who played RT for most of the season.

painnotpleasure said:
Travis Minor- I'm honestly quite surprised we re-signed him. I guess that that was to have another RB on the depth chart before the draft to lead people to believe maybe we wouldn't go with a RB, same with Sage Rosenfels and QB. I don't know... but I think with Ronnie Brown, possibly Ricky Williams, Lamar Gordon, and Kay Jay Harris.. no doubt that Travis Minor will be released.

David Bowens- Out of this list, David Bowens and Donald Lee are the ones I wouldn't mind... if we ended up keeping him but I think he might have to go because of his salary. I think it would be more benifical to have the money he's getting to put to use in acquiring R.W. McQuarters (if we decide to go into that direction) rather than keeping him around just for depth. DT is a major concern in our opinion and I'm content with Jason Taylor, Matt Roth, Vonnie Holiday, Kevin Carter, and Ronald Flemons who I hope we keep if we release David Bowens.

Donald Lee- I think that there's a possiblity that Lee will be cut for the simple fact we picked up Alex Holmes. If Alex Holmes starts impressing, I think Lee will be gone. Though I wouldn't mind keeping him because I think he can still improve and work on his catching and holding onto the ball

clear.gif

Oh yes, apparently he was. The guy is due to be making $380K this season and $460K next year... there's starving people in China who could benefit so much from that money. I want to feed the needy by releasing Whitley... I hope they show Whitley the door (no not the revolving one) and release him. Okay, that was a bit harsh... but I wanted him to be released already! :yell:

And I'm really hoping that we do not cut Derrius Thompson. I don't think it would be such a good move and I was been very happy if Thompson restructured his contract. I love our depth and I love our WR core and I think he would be a really 4th WR for us.
I think Minor was only signed for insurance reasons only.

Remember, Bowens last year was still working himself into shape after his ACL injury. There's really no justification to cut him...we don't particularly need his money or anything. Minor is gone for sure, and Whitley is so unimportant that it doesn't really matter. But the second we cut Lee, McMike will get hurt and we're screwed.

painnotpleasure said:

clear.gif

You forgot Traylor at DT. Why are people insisting we keep Lee? If we have someone step in camp why not unload this guy? Last year he couldn't do anything right, and this year people want to keep him. I say after June 1st bring some more tightends to pusjh him. If steps it up fine, but if not, he is gone.

Fin Fan in Cali said:
You forgot Traylor at DT. Why are people insisting we keep Lee? If we have someone step in camp why not unload this guy? Last year he couldn't do anything right, and this year people want to keep him. I say after June 1st bring some more tightends to pusjh him. If steps it up fine, but if not, he is gone.
Traylor at DT? Keith Traylor?? Did you mean TimBo? If you're referring to list I made with JT, Roth, Holliday, Carter, and Flemons... I was just referring to guy who can play DE for us.

And I think we should release Donald Lee if TE Alex Holmes (who we just signed recently) impresses the coaches and is good enough to replace him. I think that's a definitely possibility.

Fin Fan in Cali said:
Potential is one thing, but I have yet to see it on game day on a consistant basis. I wouldn't cut him if there wasn't any one to step in his place. I am just saying that Lee in not all that and a bag of chips. I just don't see him making the team.
Hes cheap, he has upside, hes our best blocking Te even with holmes, hes staying.

D Bowens, Whitley, Tim Bo (retire), minor, either evans or morris (we wont keep both imo) and the 1 surprise imo could be a guy like Sage getting dumped for Berlin if saban sees things he likes from brock.

What I look at with David Bowens is what would have to happen for him to become a needed player. We would have to have injuries at DT forcing Kevin Carter to play DT, Vonnie Holliday would have to be ineffective/injured, and Matt Roth would have to bomb. Now I realize that this isnt outside the realm of possibility, but I think that with Traylor, Chester, Zgonina(if he doesnt get cut),Romero, and possibly Carter(if needed) we could be ok at DT. Thats not saying I wouldnt mind adding another DT. But Bowens at what 2 million as a backup....:shakeno:

Let's see we drafted a top flight DE in Matt Roth. We signed two solid veterans in K. Carter and V. Holliday. D. Bowens is slated to make 1.9 million this year, would only mean a 632,500 cap hit if released, and is signed only till end of '05. I like D. Bowens, but he is outta here. Too much $, not enough production.

Travis Minor will also be gone for sure.

Taylor Whitley - sent packing.

With the additions of Spragan and Crowder, fringe players like Corey Jenkins and Ayenbadejo will also likely get cut.

There are others that should lose their roster spots, but will get to hang on one more year because Saban can only replace them so fast.

Back
Top Bottom