No Coincidence | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

No Coincidence

Great Post,

Time for people to start hating. I thought we should have taken Herbert but we did not. That is the past (except when I write about it :) Need to build a team around him such as an O Line (don't have faith in Grier to do this but that is another thread), get a legit RB1 and some complimentary WR's (Get Fuller, I can't play with my boo boo finger, out of here). That being said, I do not think Tua has a rocket deep down the field arm like Josh Allen or Herbert. What I have seen is he is deadly accurate in his short and middle throws which will keep in as a top 10 QB (Drew Brees type).
I agree with you and if you remember, that is who Chad Pennington was. He did not have the most powerful arm but would carve you up in the short to medium range.

Tua can make a living off of what he is good at and we can be a great team with him as our QB with his skill set.

I thought this was his first game with multiple plus type plays and no real horrible glaring mistakes.

I'm not sure he will ever be amazibg in the intermediate area, especially over the middle unless it's wide open, but if he can get a few balls over the top with more time that might be enough. Maybe.

I'm not ready to change my evaluation on him, but i thought last game was his most encouraging for the most part.

Add in Miami leads the NFL in dropped passes and you begin to appreciate, Tua's ability to generate plays, even more. He makes throws most QB's couldn't.
Really makes you appreciate his efficiency with all the drops. Several players have commented on how catchable his passes are…makes you not appreciate our receivers’ hands. Can you imagine what Jarvis would do in this offense?

We've won 5 straight with the worst oline and running game in the NFL. I was going to say running "attack" but we're not attacking anybody in the run game. On top of that to deal with, our receivers are made of glass. Our plans were to have Fuller on game day and that hasn't happened and Parker available on game day. We were supposed to run teams to death with Waddle, Fuller, Wilson and Parker. Speed doesn't help you when it's on the disabled list. Despite all that working against him Tua just goes out and wins. Imagine if he had a complete offense at his command, we'd look like Alabama south!

Tua is accurate, decisive and growing as a leader of a team. This offense however is just not explosive and I’m not sure if this is arm limitations or personnel limitations or coaching limitations or all of the above. It sucks when you see explosive plays all over the NFL and we have an offense that for the most part looks like it’s playing fully inside of a two car garage.
The problem is the OL. They aren’t able to open holes in the running game and therefore the defense doesn’t have to worry about the Dolphins running game. They are able to put pressure on Tua every time he goes back to pass and he usually has less than 2 seconds before a defender is right in his face.

It‘s extremely difficult to throw deep when you have as little time to pass as Tua does. As far as his arm strength is concerned. Go back and look at his deep pass to Hollins a few weeks ago. He threw the football 50 yards on a line and hit Hollins perfectly. He was also a great deep passer at Alabama.

Get him an average OL and a better running game and the deep balls will come.

Tua is accurate, decisive and growing as a leader of a team. This offense however is just not explosive and I’m not sure if this is arm limitations or personnel limitations or coaching limitations or all of the above. It sucks when you see explosive plays all over the NFL and we have an offense that for the most part looks like it’s playing fully inside of a two car garage.
I def do not think its arm limitation. Our offensive play calling limits Tua, not Tua limiting our offense. We see Tua can throw 20-30 yard lasers and yet 90% of our play calls run really short routes. You cant throw it 25+ yards when no one is out there to throw to. I also cant stand that every time we get a penalty that puts us at 2nd and 15-20 we immediately prepare to punt by running the ball. Our offensive play-calling is so stale and safe. We are winning games like that but it isnt very pretty, nor is it overly exciting.

Add in Miami leads the NFL in dropped passes and you begin to appreciate, Tua's ability to generate plays, even more. He makes throws most QB's couldn't.

We are third, but close enough.

Last edited:
Arm strength as a measure of when a QB can make it in the NFL is a misused measure. A better description is there is a discrete period of time that receiver is open when discussing ”tight window throws”. A QB’s recognition time, release time, and strength of arm are three components of fitting the ball within that discrete period of time. Tua has a quick release, so the arm strength is not as important as a QB with a slower release. Also, Tua has the ability to quickly process a bounded set of options. The quick release and the quick processing makes it nearly impossible to stop the RPO and the short passing game the Dolphins run.

The Giants had Tua confused during the first couple of drives. I do believe that a cannon arm allows a QB to struggle with recognition and still complete the throw. Tua does not have that kind of arm. His quick release does compensate, but there are situations where he will struggle. He need to continue to improve his recognition to continue to improve. As he acquires more game time experience, I expect his post-snap and pre-snap recognition to improve from his current skill level. I believe his lack of a top 5 arm will cease to be any concern as his recognition skills improve.

Arm strength as a measure of when a QB can make it in the NFL is a misused measure. A better description is there is a discrete period of time that receiver is open when discussing ”tight window throws”. A QB’s recognition time, release time, and strength of arm are three components of fitting the ball within that discrete period of time. Tua has a quick release, so the arm strength is not as important as a QB with a slower release. Also, Tua has the ability to quickly process a bounded set of options. The quick release and the quick processing makes it nearly impossible to stop the RPO and the short passing game the Dolphins run.

The Giants had Tua confused during the first couple of drives. I do believe that a cannon arm allows a QB to struggle with recognition and still complete the throw. Tua does not have that kind of arm. His quick release does compensate, but there are situations where he will struggle. He need to continue to improve his recognition to continue to improve. As he acquires more game time experience, I expect his post-snap and pre-snap recognition to improve from his current skill level. I believe his lack of a top 5 arm will cease to be any concern as his recognition skills improve.
Great post!

ID window -> get ball there. The amount of time it takes for the ball to get there is exactly what your saying. Release time + ball velocity, and you also have to factor in accuracy and trajectory. These windows arent 2D, most of the time in pro football a big arm is useless and trajectory comes into play.

The most obvious example I can think of is Tannehill, he had a shitload of arm talent but couldnt adjust trajectory to save his life. He was actually working with 2D windows and trying to hit every target with a linedrive.

I'll take the guy who masters release time and accuracy/trajectory over the elite arm strength and average accuracy/trajectory every single time. Simply because the former is used much much more often in a football game.

Back
Top Bottom