No illusions... Not there yet. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

No illusions... Not there yet.

This loss feels redundant... I dont know about you but I felt it was coming, deep down, this is so Dolphins right?

Needless to say it feels like crap, but I cant help but to think its better that way.
Feel the same way.
We got exposed
We were out classed.

We fixed the defense last year. And solidified the OL.
Next draft, I have every confident Flo and company will fix the offense.

The future is bright.

Couple of points
A - The loss to a average Denver team was a set back and I hoped was just one of those days.
No the Raiders win was literally pulling a rabbit out of the hat so the signs were there. Throw in the Bills 38-9 hammering of the Pats while we did ok 22-12.
We aren't in the Bills league yet and now have a 5-13 record in recent games.

B - 10 wins but only 1/4 against playoff teams. [yes Bills count twice]

C - Compared to the Chiefs the current SB champs, our defences are around the same ball park perhaps even better regards CB's.
Offence in reality would any of our skill position players be better than theirs?
Not hard to work out where a lot of our draft picks may target.

Bottom line we have made some significant strides from a rent a wreck of walk on's [ 0/7 start to 15/10 over the 2 seasons] to a team on the cusp, but as results show not yet a playoff calibre squad.
We deserved to finish where we did but the future still looks bright especially if they hit on most of the high picks again.

Last edited:
Some won’t let go that this was the poorest group of receiving threats in the league but I would trade the WRs Te and backs with anyone in the NFL and come out ahead even the Patriots and Jets have better threats

The Jags are way out in front of us too
Yes but we win 10 games w them..

It's still just so mind-blowing that they would draft a cb with the 3rd first-rounder last time. And the fact that he was such a reach makes it even more ridiculous. Maybe he develops into a good player in time, maybe he's a total bust, but we could've had the RB spot already settled by drafting Dobbins or Taylor in that spot. And Jackson has been okay so far but he was also a reach and if they wanted to trade up a couple of spots they could have undoubtedly added CeeDee Lamb last time as well. The skill positions would already have been set and had a year's experience behind them. And those two would have probably been the difference in us making the playoffs this season.

This is why I have little confidence that even with the high picks again this coming draft that we'll make the right decisions.
We drafted Robert Hunt @ #39 and Jonathan Taylor went at pick #41...The exact type of back we could have used all year long, Then we signed 2 free agent running backs for millions.

Sorry, no.
Those days are over. Today's NFL is gearing for passing.
These are the four most important positions
QB
Players that can get to QB
Players who catch, whether wr or TE like Kelce
Players who can stop the catchers.

Its really not that complicated.
That’s the Gil Brandt philosophy right? Hard to argue with it beside OL. But if you have a good OL you should be able to run the ball successfully, right? Or at least competently?

We drafted Robert Hunt @ #39 and Jonathan Taylor went at pick #41...The exact type of back we could have used all year long, Then we signed 2 free agent running backs for millions.

Grier needs to set it up. Drafting projects isn’t cutting it

It's still just so mind-blowing that they would draft a cb with the 3rd first-rounder last time. And the fact that he was such a reach makes it even more ridiculous. Maybe he develops into a good player in time, maybe he's a total bust, but we could've had the RB spot already settled by drafting Dobbins or Taylor in that spot. And Jackson has been okay so far but he was also a reach and if they wanted to trade up a couple of spots they could have undoubtedly added CeeDee Lamb last time as well. The skill positions would already have been set and had a year's experience behind them. And those two would have probably been the difference in us making the playoffs this season.

This is why I have little confidence that even with the high picks again this coming draft that we'll make the right decisions.
The Iggybabaganoush pick was dumb.

The reality is that going into the season Dolphin fans would have been jumping for joy if you told them the Dolphins would finish the season 10-6 and have a chance of making the playoffs going into the last game of the season. This was a team that still has major holes to fill on the roster while being in year 2 of a major rebuild. Yet they far exceeded the expectations of most of the fans this season and by losing the way they did on Sunday, many of those same fans are surprised and disappointed.

As a fan since 1966, I prefer to dwell on the positives from this season while recognizing that the Dolphins still have a ways to go in the rebuild before they will be able to compete with the better teams in the NFL in the playoffs. Fortunately they have the cap space and the draft picks available to add several talented players to the roster before next season begins.

So while I am disappointed the Dolphins didn’t make the playoffs this year. I certainly don’t view this season as a failure. It is merely a step along the way to hopefully building a team which will be able to compete at the highest level of the game over a prolonged period of time. There are still many questioned to be answered about this team in 2021 and beyond but so far the rebuild is going more quickly than most of us imagined it would and I for one am looking forward to seeing how this team develops over the next few years.

I enjoyed this season and I’m already looking forward to seeing how the young players develop next year. I look forward to seeing how the players the Dolphins end up drafting and signing in free agency come in and help improve the team in the coming year. For those who think this team was a disappointment because of the loss to the Buffalo. You need to remember how bad this team was just a little over a year ago and recognize how far this team has come since their 0-7 start to begin the 2019 season.

I said a few weeks ago I saw enough this season to show we are heading in the right direction and anything else was gravy so I'm trying not to overreact, but that was embarrassing. For them on offense it was like watching 7 on 7 and for us on offense it was like they had a few extra defenders on every play. 0 for 10 on third down with playoffs on the line after getting benched leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth about our QB situation.

Good year and all but I’m still angry.

The 10-6 Rams, 8-8 Bears, and 7-9 Washington can get a playoff spot while Miami sits out.

I am not happy with that. Will those three teams likely lose in the first round? Perhaps. Not the point though.

Nevermind the fact that Buffalo is potentially the next New England. We now have to watch other teams win in the postseason while we wait until March/April to see if Grier ****s it up or not.

Another long offseason.

Sorry, no.
Those days are over. Today's NFL is gearing for passing.
These are the four most important positions
QB
Players that can get to QB
Players who catch, whether wr or TE like Kelce
Players who can stop the catchers.

Its really not that complicated.
Thank you for your very insightful and intelligent response

The investment in defense worked out. Kyle Van Noy showed people how to play this defense, and was a cornerstone of success. Emmanuel Ogbah proved to be a great investment. Adding Byron Jones was a fantastic move as he brought a healthy lock-down CB and even chipped in with a couple of INT's, while pushing QB's over to test Xavien Howard--who ended up with double-digit INT's as I predicted he had the potential to get with Jones opposite him. Now our defense has won most of our games, and proven to be a very good defense. We have players of all age ranges with veterans like Van Noy, players in their prime like Ogbah, Howard and Jones, and a core of good youngsters like Wilkins, Van Ginkel and Baker. Coach Flo finally delivered on his promise of a strong multiple front defense.

On offense we had an outstanding year from our tremendous TE group, with Gesicki having a break-out year, Shaheen proving the potential he had when he was drafted, and Smythe really contributing all around as well as being the leader in that room. Our OL had a breakthrough year as our OL coach got quality contributions from all three rookies--Jackson, Kindley and even Hunt, while also coalescing together veterans like Karras and Flowers to give us a pretty productive OL on the whole compared to most years here in Miami. What's more, our OL really looks poised to improve and succeed moving forward. We managed to get good performances from both QB's, one of which was a rookie. Then our WR corps--despite Albert Wilson and Allen Hurns declining to play from fear of Covid--managed another true #1 year from DaVante Parker, survived the Preston Williams injury and got quality contributions from Jakeem Grant and even Mack Hollins, as well as rookies Lynn Bowden Jr. and Malcolm Perry. We had some contributions from others (including Antonio Calloway and Isaiah Ford) who weren't even here for most of the year.

All in all, we saw a LOT of player development from this staff in 2020. IMHO, we're poised to succeed in 2021 and have laid a solid foundation to become a playoff contender for the next decade. Bolstered with another treasure trove of picks this draft ... the future looks bright.

Thank you for your positivity. Too many posters on here that simply don't know anything about football.

Have to build from the inside out first. Foundation first. Now skilled players. They’re doing it right.

To have stayed on the field against Buffalo we needed to score after the TO, and again on the second drive. Touchdowns not a 'single' field goal. At that point the D could play a little more recklessly and be more aggressive. With our dearth of weapons on O we never had a chance to do this. We went D and infrastructure on O last year, now we need skill. I think Flo and Grier know by now what we need, and will use the Houston picks to better the franchise's talent and draft status for the coming years in this off season. Disappointing game not season.

Back
Top Bottom