No more argument | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

No more argument

Ekinger said:
Joey vs. Ray is a push. Maybe I overstated the worst qb but he's in a 3 way tie for worst with Sage and Ray but Joey is the only guy that we've had that was THE starter on another team before coming to us. He's supposed to be way better than those 2 and he isn't.

Sage was never a starter in Miami...Therefore he should be kept out of this conversation...And when he did come in for relief, he normal played pretty well

bluehaze said:
I find it interesting that some folks on this board revel in the fact that Harrington had a bad day all the while ignoring the fact that our coaching staff called a horrid game, our recievers dropped the most balls they have ever in any game this year and our secondary made Losman look like the second coming of Marino. Cleo Lemon came in to replace Harrington made a decent drive out of garbage time to get us to the goal line and when faced with the same playcalling and recievers that Harrington had been faced with all day had 2 or 3 passes dropped by our supposed #1 reciever Chris Chambers in the endzone. Honeslty the most disappointing time of this game came when Harrington was replaced by Lemon not because I am a staunch Harrington supporter but simply because it became painfully obvious at that point that our coaching staff is not aware of where the problems lie with this offense and they are likely to continue bringing in umpteen million QB's over the next few years while we continue fighting for our placement in the basement of the AFC east due to our inept coaching staff's ability to properly evaluate the biggest probelme in our offense which is our recieveing crew!
Now it's the coaching staff's fault. Riigghhtt.

outlawd2u said:
LoL, the funny thing though is that I could REALLY see this happening. I could see it now........ "Joey did a great job of managing the game, if we had a line that could give him 10 seconds in the pocket, and WR's with 50 inch verticles who all ran a 4.2 then he would have never had those Interceptions" LOL

There are posters I once respected that have this same line of thinking.....pretty sad.

I said it in a post earlier today......the Joey lovefest = the AJ Feeley lovefest from 2 years ago. Everyone wanted to believe feeley was gonna be the man because they were sick of Fiedler. In the end you find we still don't have a franchise type QB on this roster....and those thinking harirngton was the future is crazy. One poster mocked me earlier in the week saying my comments about wanting to see Daunte start next season healthy were "laughable". Well, let me tell you...Joey Harrington as an every week starting caliber QB in this league is laughable. He's just Ray Lucas, Jay Fiedler, AJ Feeley all mixed into one. And it doesn't make for a better QB...the search continues.

Ekinger said:
Joey officially ranks as one of the worst qb's we've had over the years.

If Daunte can't be helped and there is any question, we need to find a good qb that can give us a solid 2 to 3 years.

Cleo should have started weeks ago and in typical Saban fashion he's gone way too long before changing things up. The only reason Joey even looked passable was because of the D and anyone that has any ability to be objective can do nothing but agree.

No, Cleo should not have started weeks ago. Unless the coaching staff saw something we didn't, you don't just randomly insert players into the lineup to see if they can do any worse. Players need to earn playing time, not just get handed it. And I'm not fooled by the fact that a third stringer puts up decent numbers in garbage time, when Buffalo essentially knows they've locked up the game and are probably looking to minimize risk of injury.

Harrington's mediocre, yes, but we saw games like these out of every post Marino QB we've ever had.

Ekinger said:
Of course not, but there is no way he would have been any worse than Joey and the fact that he does have some mobility would certainly have been helpful with Ronnie Brown out. Worst case he plays the same and we are right where we are now.

Everybody remember a quarterback named Drew Henson?

I seem to remember cowboys fans saying that too....

Things can be worse. A lot worse.

Look, everyone's frustrated because of Joey's play today, but ...what evidence have you, other than the "oh so impressive" garbage time drive of today, that we'll be in a better position to win with Cleo? It is not uncommon for backup QBs to come off the bench and dazzle in relief, either, mostly because of the fact that opponents haven't gameplanned for the backup quarterback the week prior and aren't used to their tendencies. Why else do you think Sage Rosenfels always played better in relief then when he started?

But I seem to remember years ago people calling Wannstedt "stubborn" for not going to Lucas. Then he had to go to Lucas, who had shown flashes of good play in relief before...and he stunk royally.

Oh yes...things can get worse.

Metal Panda said:

Look, everyone's frustrated because of Joey's play today, but ...what evidence have you, other than the "oh so impressive" garbage time drive of today, that we'll be in a better position to win with Cleo? It is not uncommon for backup QBs to come off the bench and dazzle in relief, either, mostly because of the fact that opponents haven't gameplanned for the backup quarterback the week prior and aren't used to their tendencies. Why else do you think Sage Rosenfels always played better in relief then when he started?

But I seem to remember years ago people calling Wannstedt "stubborn" for not going to Lucas. Then he had to go to Lucas, who had shown flashes of good play in relief before...and he stunk royally.

I simply disagree. Joey has been bad a lot and to think that the 3rd stringer would be worse is silly.

Cleo should finish the season for us. Also, at 21 to 0 with 11 minutes left in the 4th quarter? That's not garbage and it's pretty obvious even after Joey's game last week that he was on a leash. Not a short one, but it's been in the back of everyones mind on the coaching staff.

Metal Panda said:

All valid points....and there's many examples of previous 3rd stringers or FAs no one wanted who are now starting as well. A loss is a loss is a loss. We're not going to the playoff's and I'll take 2 potential losses due solely to bad QB play (let's just assume the rest of the team is perfect the next 2 games) in order to find out if our backup that appears to have talent...can outperform our existing "mediocre" (and that's generous) solution in place and possibly be the future for us because it's becoming more clear Joey isn't and Pep may never fully come back, mentally or physically.

jbond said:
All valid points....and there's many examples of previous 3rd stringers or FAs no one wanted who are now starting as well. A loss is a loss is a loss. We're not going to the playoff's and I'll take 2 potential losses due solely to bad QB play (let's just assume the rest of the team is perfect the next 2 games) in order to find out if our backup that appears to have talent...can outperform our existing "mediocre" (and that's generous) solution in place and possibly be the future for us because it's becoming more clear Joey isn't and Pep may never fully come back, mentally or physically.

Very much agreed. However, I suggested that we insert Cleo in the Detroit game. A game that the D probably could have won by themselves. If Cleo performed as well as Joey had up until that point and/or better, then we know we have a guy that not only can manage a game but can make some plays to put points on the board if the defense is struggling.

If we found that, we may have had a guy that could have made Jacksonville a winnable game and certainly today. Yes I'm saying could. The bottom line is we don't know, no one does. We watched Lovie stick with Rex when he probably shouldn't have, but they are in a terrible conference, worse division and had the best D in 6 years until all the injuries. Also, Rex had proven that he can throw a deep ball and at least semi consistantly hit open guys. Joey hasn't been able to ever do it.

I don't expect any 3rd stringer to come in and shine like the rising sun as they don't get the reps or time in with the #1 offense. That said...it would be nice to see his physical skills and his decision making process to determine if he SHOULD start working out with the first team. He's been in our system a couple of seasons now so should be familiar with most of the system from a "book" standpoint. I saw him do more in 2 series then Joey did all day. Better decisions, better throws (even his throw-aways).

Back
Top Bottom