No more Bellcow RB, it is past tense. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

No more Bellcow RB, it is past tense.

Only one team can win a SB every year and obviously QB is the most important individual ingredient.

That said when you are only looking at that one team per year in terms of how to build you're making a massive mistake.

Also I don't see why you'd ever NOT want any of your skill positions to be top players on a rookie contract whether its HB or DL.

Of course, you want to be the best at every position, but it's about opportunity cost. You only have so many picks, so it's wise to identify which positions are most and least valuable. If you chart those position out, RB is at or near the bottom of the list.

Disagree.
Good OL can make an average RB look good.
Bad OL can make an all pro RB look average.

Don't know how long have been watching football. Look up teams with good OL, they inserted different RB in and out, and all RB were productive.
When is the last time we had a solid OL?
A pretty long time correct?

Some very bad coaches too over the past decade
yet during those years the Fins managed to generate a respectable running attack far superior than the anemic one of the last two years
Why?
Lack of any talent
These past RB's were not great but they were talented and pretty consistent
Under Flores he removed talent and stuck the team with subpar ones and I keep hearing how great they are
just compare
And remember our past OL's

1620213654373.png
1620213708044.png
1620213768412.png
1620213810405.png
1620213846083.png
1620213883422.png
1620213926923.png
1620213954756.png

From all indications, Flo is high on Gaskin.

It is one thing not to address the hole as you perceive. There is another thing when the coach think the hole is elsewhere.
His history shows his decision making regarding RB's sucks

Of course, you want to be the best at every position, but it's about opportunity cost. You only have so many picks, so it's wise to identify which positions are most and least valuable. If you chart those position out, RB is at or near the bottom of the list.

I don't agree with that. Other than edge rusher I'll take a HB over any defensive player at any position. On offense we are set at QB and WR in terms of drafting so there is really no reason not to there.

Part of that is my philosophy that defense is built on scheme and talent is a bonus.

Your top 5/6 RBs in FF are indeed bell cow backs for today ... it’s just a different definition of bell cow ... insert touches for carries ... teams deliberately trade touches to try and maintain explosiveness and health ...

HENRY is the only traditional bell cow, CHUBB could be ...

Remeber, even in our 70s hay days, we had a shared backfield of ‘3’ ... so the concept is definitely not new ... and you don’t need one to win a SB ...

While I have advocated against drafting a RB high (1st Round and even early 2d round) ... GASKIN is not a bell cow, as I don’t think he can handle that work load or get short yardage, but in a shared backfield - he is good enough, and BROWN rounds out the short yardage piece.

It isn’t CSONKA, MORRIS and KICK .... but GASKIN, AHMED and BROWN are more than serviceable ...

It's less about running volume and more about running efficiency. A 20-25 carry per game RB is virtually dead outside of a few teams.

Not every back has the same vision, instincts or physical talent to take a 2 yard gain into the back of an OL into a 4,5, 10 yard+ run.

To close out games you still need a competent run game to eat clock and extend drive. Doesn't mean you have to run all three downs but at least threaten the defense that you could.

Sure, some teams can get away with that, but they either had elite QBs or their passing game was virtually their run game with their quick short passes(Saints). Some teams don't care about carries but touches.
Running CMC/Kamara in the middle 20 times a game is wasting their talents. So, simple quick passes to them in the flat/short curls to get them into space and let them use their athletic ability in space to make plays

It's taken me a while to come around to this because I still think old school sometimes, but I think winning these days is all about getting chunk plays. Many coaches say that sustaining long drives is hard to do because a penalty can derail the drive. With the RB position evolving, many come into the league with the ability to catch and run routes like a WR, so I see them as more of a complementary piece rather than someone who should be featured. It's all about match-ups, and as long as we are moving the sticks, it doesn't matter to me if it's by running or catching a pass. We have some decent weapons on our team this year. Let's pull out all the stops and see what this offense can do!

Last edited:
This thread is a poor excuse to make the FO look good for not addressing the RB position.

We could have had Melvin Gordon over Howard last year. We could have signed Connor this year.

I’m not going to fault Grier for passing on Harris at 18 or moving up to grand ETN or Williams, but they could have done better than signing Malcolm Brown.
This is fair. I dont really care who our runningbacks are but I can agree we probably could signed someone a little better than Brown

When is the last time we had a solid OL?
A pretty long time correct?

Some very bad coaches too over the past decade
yet during those years the Fins managed to generate a respectable running attack far superior than the anemic one of the last two years
Why?
Lack of any talent
These past RB's were not great but they were talented and pretty consistent
Under Flores he removed talent and stuck the team with subpar ones and I keep hearing how great they are
just compare
And remember our past OL's

View attachment 75454
View attachment 75455
View attachment 75456
View attachment 75457
View attachment 75458
View attachment 75459
View attachment 75460
View attachment 75461
Last year's running game was actually very comparable to those years.

Total team rushing:
2020 - 1,688
2018 - 1,738
2017 - 1,388
2016 - 1,824
2015 - 1,496
2014 - 1,872
2013 - 1,440
2012 - 1,802
2011 - 1,987
2010 - 1,643

Well, we have to be able to convert a 3rd and 3 on the ground without me biting through my lips. Id throw the kitchen sink at Tua knowing we'll never run the ball on 3rd.

NE won all those SB with RB by committee. Some argue they had Brady, and keep saying a dominating run first offense is the only formular for a SB winning team.

Sorry, you are WRONG.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.
These are the past SB winner without Brady at QB.

KC
Philly
Den
Sea
Bal

All relied on dominating defense and complemented it with balance attack. ( except KC, it is all air ). An vision of the offense Flo is building.

None of it rely on dominating ground game as their #1 factor as their SB winning formular. Even Bal, their #1 RB in SB only had 59 yds on the ground.

You stuck in a narrow vision of what you think its the only way to run an offense, and failed to enter into 21 century.

Tampa and KC went to the Superbowl rushing at the bottom fo the league overall. I think Tampa had like 1,500 yards, and KC had like 1,700 yards. Baltimore, and the Titans being the top rushing team in the league had wildcard and playoff 1st round exits. You can't have your qb rushing and expecting good defenses like Buffalo to not stop you.

Last year's running game was actually very comparable to those years.

Total team rushing:
2020 - 1,688
2018 - 1,738
2017 - 1,388
2016 - 1,824
2015 - 1,496
2014 - 1,872
2013 - 1,440
2012 - 1,802
2011 - 1,987
2010 - 1,643
Bucs rushed less, and KC about 100-150 yards more. You need a good qb to win the super bowl now a days. This isn't the 80's, 90's 2000's anymore.

I don't agree with that. Other than edge rusher I'll take a HB over any defensive player at any position. On offense we are set at QB and WR in terms of drafting so there is really no reason not to there.

Part of that is my philosophy that defense is built on scheme and talent is a bonus.

But, on what are you basing that belief?

Back
Top Bottom