No,no,no!! It Does not have to take years!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

No,no,no!! It Does not have to take years!!

Kingdom Come

Active Roster
Reaction score
It really doesn't have to take years for the Dolphins to return to relevance; and I can prove it.

Let's look at what we have........what we might have? what we probably don't have....and where are the deep gaping holes.

In the interest of being fair and realistic, seeing as how this thread is going to be mostly optimistic; we must first admit that our owner and GM are a couple of the biggest football idiots in the history of the NFL. I like Ross as a person a lot, same with Grier. They are both great guys and easy to like. Ross couldn't have tried much harder, but they are both horribly inept when it comes to football.

So, the biggest thing we don't have right now is leadership at the top of the organization.

I think the answer to this enormous problem is obvious:

SOLUTION: Ross must fire Grier sooner, rather than later. He must hire a real GM with a proven track record of success, and then stay out the football side of things.

Coaching: I like this group, and I am really looking forward to the rest of the season. It will fascinating to see what they can do with a roster like this one. We will find out quickly if this group possesses player development skills. I hope they get the full three year opportunity. That said; I was a rabid supporter of seeking to hire Fangio.

Quarterback: We have an excellent pair for #2 and #3, obviously we lack a true #1, and of course the answer to this one is:

Solution: Draft a QB with the first pick in the draft. Probably Tua, but it is a long season. If?? an opportunity to trade Ryan Fitzpatrick before the deadline occurs, it's a no brainer.

RB: Really looking forward to the Drake being traded. I would guess we are getting a 3rd if we are patient. I'm excited to see what the youngsters can do once the OL gets a little more stable. I think we will be seeing both Boehm and Isaiah Prince in the last half of the season. Prince was the fourth ranked run blocking tackle in CFB last year. He has potential.

Ballage, the enigmatic one. Why? oh why isn't he great? He has more natural talent and gifting than the vast majority of the great running backs all through the history of the game. 6'1.4 230 with 33 inch arms 9.5 hands and legitimate 4.4 speed. 37 inch vertical at his pro day and an excellent time in the 3 cone which is usually a good sign for HB's. My take on this guy is that he is going to be a late bloomer and stands a good chance at breaking out in 2021 if he stays healthy. I am saying we have at least a #2 going forward. Now, Walton,Gaskin,Laird?? Very excited to see these guys the rest of this year.

Solution: Of course, draft a RB high. But....2020? or 2021? I think they may just end up waiting a year. Depends on how lucky the Dolphins get in free agency this spring. I am not saying they should sign a free agent RB, that would be straight stupid for a rebuilding team. I'm saying that if they can fill the big four gaping holes in free agency, a high draft pick for RB may be in order.

TE: Gesicki IS improving and so is Smythe. If Gesicki has it going in say the last 6 games this year, and Smythe continues to get bigger,stronger,faster,and more skilled blocking? We might just have this covered.

WR: Obviously Preston Williams is going to be great. Albert Wilson, when healthy, is the best slot receiver/do it all back in the NFL. There just isn't anyone like him in the RAC category, and imo, that is paramount for a slot guy. Is Devante Parker really growing up and taking care of his body?? We shall see. Wow! That would help so much if he finally fulfilled his potential. Grant isn't looking like a 4 imo, he is looking like a #5 special teamer,gadget guy who is only used in four or five wide sets. IMO, the Dolphins could approach greatness at the WR position with the addition of an elite deep threat WR.

Solution: Find a WR in the draft with elite ball tracking skills and blazing speed. Like a little bigger and younger version of Desean Jackson.

OT: Is Jesse Davis going to develop into a starting LT?? He was shockingly successful week one. Week two grades aren't out yet, but in week one he ranked in the mid twenties among tackles, 4 spots ahead of Tunsil!!
If?? the Dolphins draft Tua, LT may be covered. RT? is one of the big four gaping holes.

Solution: Draft a OT in the first round or with the first pick in the 2nd round. Sign Joe Haeg in free agency. The best, most versatile NFL backup there is. Can play every position on the line.

OG: LG is covered. Deiter struggled in run blocking against NE, but in general, he is looking dearnn good for a rook. RG is one of the big four gaping holes. I think Greer was drunk when he actually gave up a pick for Isadora.

Solution: Buy a RG in free agency. Can't have rookies all over the place. Scherff sure, but it is more likely Thuney is the one to hit FA.

Center: This is too early to tell. Kilgore is going to be released. Boehm is much better and younger. Once Boehm becomes completely acquainted with the entire play book, Kilgore is gone and Reed is the backup.
Will Boehm earn himself a contract and stick?? Huge ?

Solution: Draft a versatile OG/C and even if Boehm plays good the 2nd half of this season, you have a young guy pushing him and added depth at OG.

Interior Defense: Actually, very good so far against the run. Godchaux is a beast against the run and is one of the highest rated interior run stuffers in the league and he is just a sophomore. Now, he has no pass rush and doesn't belong on the field on obvious passing downs, but, run stuffing NT is covered. John Jenkins has been an enormous surprise. He has been just great. It's Wilkins that has been the weak leak, most rooks are their first few games. This area is very thin and lacking a true dominant force. And a true dominant force is necessary. All the great defenses have a dominating interior player.

Solution: Buy Chris Jones at any price necessary, and draft depth.

OLB/DE: Ledbetter was a nice surprise at DE/6-tech. Beigel,Harris, Van Ginkel, are all showing potential as rotational guys on the edge, but there is obviously no greatness here.

Solution: Draft the position very high, and then draft it again, and then draft it again in 2021. These guys are rare and they very seldom hit free agency until they are over 30.

ILB: Raekwon looks like he has found his true calling in this defense. Baker really struggled in coverage on Sunday. The ILB position is thin and needs to be drafted, probably in the 3rd round.

Safety?? Is McCain a FS?? We shall see. Will Reshad remain?? we shall see. Obviously a position in flux that needs attention.

Solution: Draft the position, then draft it again, and then draft it again in 2021.

CB: Huge gaping hole opposite X. Curious to see what happens at nickel. Maybe Lammons will shock us and grab that position and keep it.

Solution: Buy a veteran cb. If Byron Jones comes available you don't hesitate to make him the league's highest paid CB. Also, of course, draft the position,and then draft it again.

So the huge gaping holes are Boundary CB,Edge Rusher,RG,RT, and probably QB. If you can get an elite OG and boundary CB in FA that would be huge. Now then, IF! that happens then I would make a move and and grab an older veteran as well. It doesn't fit the paradigm but..........the Dolphins are going to way more cap room than they could possibly use, and the young players that we have and will be drafting won't need to be paid for 4 or 5 years.

Chris Harris CB is probably going to end up hitting free agency. The Dolphins would be able to offer him more money, and especially more guaranteed money than any other team. They could give him his 4 years 60 mil and top load the contract so if he starts to fade he could be released in year 3 or 4.

Aaaaaannd, I guess if Bobby McCain is going to stink it up at FS and you really do want to compete in 2020, gonna have to just sign an old veteran stop gap. Devin McCourty is 33 and might entertain retirement if the Pats win another one, but, if he still wants to play we could grossly overpay for a couple years why younger guys are developed. That would give the Dolphins Pro Bowl players at every position in the secondary, including nickel. That's a good start for the journey back to relevance.

The Draft: What a jumble this thing is this year. Forgive me if I get a pick wrong. Taking a 4th for the Drake.
Some really good news to consider: If most of the guys declare, that people are saying will declare, this draft class at the OT position might be the best in history. Rich and deep it will be hard to declare a true top 3 or even five.

#1....QB Tua

From the Steelers...You guessed it, trade down and add picks, at least a 2nd. Then draft Tristan Wirfs. Why Wirfs? Because if Prince or Davenport do develop in the next couple years I would project Wirfs as an All Pro OG in the future.

From the Texans ...OLB Julian Okwara

Trade the 2021 1st rounder and move up from 2nd round pick acquired from the trade down and draft DE/OLB Curtis Weaver

2nd.....Chuba Hubbard RB

2nd from Saints....Henry Ruggs WR

3rd.....Naquan Jones DT

3rd ...Comp pick.....Kyle Dugger Safety/ST's

4th...For Drake.....Lamar Jackson DB

5th...from the Cardinals......Leki Fotu Interior Defense

5th...From the Steelers......ILB Justin Strnad

5th ....Comp for Wake.....Chris Williamson DB

6th....Andrew Dickinson ...Center/OG

6th....for Robert Quinn....Nigel Kilby TE

7th....for Jordan Lucas.....Joseph Charlton ....Punter

Roster:
QB...Tua,Fitzpatrick,Rosen
RB....Chuba Hubbard,Ballage,Walton,Gaskin
WR....Williams,Parker,Wilson,Ruggs,Grant
TE.....Gesicki,Smythe,Kilby
OT....Davis,Wirfs,Davenport,Prince
OG...Thuney,Deiter,Haeg,Calhoun
Center..Boehm,Dickinson

ID....Chris Jones,Davon Godchaux,John Jenkins,Christian Wilkins,Naquan Jones
DE...Ledbetter,Robert Nkemdiche
OLB...Okwara,Weaver,Harris,Beigel,Van Ginkel
ILB...Baker,McMillan,Beigel,Strnad
Safety...Reshad Jones,Devin McCourty,Lamar Jackson,Dugger
CB....Byron Jones,X,Lammons,Chris Williamson
Nickel ... Chris Harris

I'm sure there are better solutions than the ones I have listed. Please post them.

I think I have made my point. When you have almost unlimited cap room going forward for years, and an insane number of high draft picks, you can improve a roster quickly.

Chuba Howard...a RB...with our 1st 2nd rounder???

You must be drinking coffee with your Bailey's this fine morning....

He is leading the nation in rushing....http://www.espn.com/college-football/conferences/statistics/player/_/stat/rushing/id/99

He is leading the nation in rushing....http://www.espn.com/college-football/conferences/statistics/player/_/stat/rushing/id/99
Darrell Henderson led the nation last year and was drafted in the 3rd...and only because Gurley is iffy injurywise.

A rebuild/tankjob does not need a RB with that pick.

Not sure why you like what you are seeing from the coaches
Appreciate your intensive effort tho

While I don’t think grier is gonna get fired due to ross’ ineptitude, I also heard Philbin wasn’t gonna get fired, gase is going nowhere, Ireland isn’t get removed. It’s just an impossibility for certain fans to come to terms that the current person in house might not be the right guy. Until he’s gone and they reinvent their reality

Yah, yah, and Tunsil was never getting traded, and there was no way in hail Minkah was getting traded, ya,ya,ya
Difference between Tunsil and Grier is Ross is the only one who can fire Grier. And as we have seen in the past Ross is nothing but half measures.

And you can be as pissed off as you want at Grier you still have to give him credit. The man has given Miami the most draft picks they have had in years, if not their entire history. So while it sucks that the team sucks Ross will see all those draft picks and chalk it up to being all part of the plan and keep him, and Flores, on board. If he doesn't then I will be shocked. But this is Clueless Ross we are talking about so I highly doubt he will get rid of them.

Darrell Henderson led the nation last year and was drafted in the 3rd...and only because Gurley is iffy injurywise.

A rebuild/tankjob does not need a RB with that pick.

Well, what is needed with that pick? The purpose of the thread wasn't for the content to be a pin cushion for shallow jabs, it was to get real responses. That is why I ended the post with the plea that others would share their own ideas for the solutions to rebuilding the roster.

Back
Top Bottom