No respect | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

No respect

Crzynick25

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
im so tired of seeing all these polls on different web sites about who was the best QB of al time, and just about all the polls are won by Joe Montana, dont get me wrong i loved Joe but when you think about it the only reason he gets all the respect is the super bowls, Marino is 10 times the QB Montana was, think about it this way, if they switched teams, and marino was the 49ers, and montana was with the dolphins, would he have been as good?, Marino had no running game, and not defense for most of his career and was the greatest QB of all time, and would of had 8 superbowls, Montana would not have been as good with the teams Marino played with. Montana isnt even in the top 5 of most of the all time QB stats, Marino owns them all.

If Marino had Cowboy teams of the 90's or Montana's teams, wow.

That coulda been a scary thing :D

Well, as much as I love Marino you have to take in to account the rings that Montana is wearing. Yes he had more weapons around him, but this is a QB that threw ZERO int's in all of his Super Bowl appearances. Sometimes life isn't fair as evident by Marino never winning the Super Bowl but you can't "assume" that Marino would have done the same in SF. Montana did and he deserves the distinction. I grew up idolizing Marino but always wondered how Montana must have felt winning Super Bowl after Super Bowl while the greatest QB to ever play never made it. That is a factor that can not be overlooked and is something that legitimizes people that give Montana the credit he deserves.

While Marino was a phenomenal passer, I think Montana was the best QB that I ever saw play the game...better than Elway or Marino. Just to qualify that statement I'm a lifelong Fins fan (since '71 when they lost to the Cowboys in the SB) and Marino (with Czonka a close second) is my favorite player of all time. Montana may not of had the physical attributes of the other two, but he was super accurate, had great touch, had great mobility and ran that SF offense to perfection. There is no QB that I would rather have running my 2 minute offense than Montana.

bumrush, even a year later and i still smile every time i see your avatar....boy what a great day that was.....was that the 53 yarder that sealed the deal that glrious day?

Montana said it himself. [paraphrasing] "If Marino were in my shoes, he might have won it every year."

Still, I don't really care about the lists. There's no right answer. Putting Montana in front of Marino or Marino in front of Montana, etc. is not a knock on either guy. Nobody disputes the other-worldyness of Barry Bonds. And he's only been to one World Series.....last year.....and lost. The old addage rings true. No one man can do it alone.

If you ask me, I think Johnny Unitas should be ahead of most if not everybody. Strong arm. Played in the non-passing era. Invented the 2-minute offense. Called his own plays. And still threw for over 40,000 yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, Bod that was a great day at JRS. I took that pic with my digital camera during the game, but it was not the long run. Ricky had holes that big all day long. It was nice to finally destroy the streak, hopefully we will sweep the pathetic Jets this year.

Originally posted by Bumrush
Well, as much as I love Marino you have to take in to account the rings that Montana is wearing. Yes he had more weapons around him, but this is a QB that threw ZERO int's in all of his Super Bowl appearances. Sometimes life isn't fair as evident by Marino never winning the Super Bowl but you can't "assume" that Marino would have done the same in SF. Montana did and he deserves the distinction. I grew up idolizing Marino but always wondered how Montana must have felt winning Super Bowl after Super Bowl while the greatest QB to ever play never made it. That is a factor that can not be overlooked and is something that legitimizes people that give Montana the credit he deserves.

heh I love marino as well but montanna was just unbeatable in the superbowl, did he win 4 MVPs in the superbowls he started??

Originally posted by Bumrush
LOL, Bod that was a great day at JRS. I took that pic with my digital camera during the game, but it was not the long run. Ricky had holes that big all day long. It was nice to finally destroy the streak, hopefully we will sweep the pathetic Jets this year.
Wow you took that pic with your digital? Great job man, I love that picture. Its very inspiring... It would make a great motivational poster for "teamwork".

Originally posted by deathdisco

heh I love marino as well but montanna was just unbeatable in the superbowl, did he win 4 MVPs in the superbowls he started??

I actually think Rice got MVP in the second Bengals Super Bowl, when he had over 200 yards receiving. I could be wrong though.

I think these polls are purely opinions. You can make cases for several QBs as the greatest of all-time. Montana because of his rings, phenomenal Super Bowl performances, coolness under pressure, etc.....Unitas because of his success in a non-passing era.....Elway because he is the all-time career leader in wins (I might be wrong about that one, though--not sure) and his amazing ability to come back in the fourth quarter, and capping his amazing career with back-to-back championships.....you could even mention Favre in there because of his unbelievable consecutive starts streak, his 3 MVP awards, his amazing record in cold temperatures.....

Of course my vote would go to Danny because of all the records he holds, how he had very little running game and defense most of his career, and, of course, because he was a Dolphin. But I think you can make a very strong case for several QBs as the greatest of all-time. Like I said, it's mostly a matter of opinion.

With the numbers that Dan put up in his career it's a damned shame he never got the ring... But that's what happens in a team sport... He's not the only great player deprived of the honor...

Back
Top Bottom