Nolan's defense receives high praise for Miami Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nolan's defense receives high praise for Miami Dolphins

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
With the Dolphins back on the practice field, cornerback Will Allen says ``everybody is excited'' about new coordinator Mike Nolan's defense.
CBS' Phil Simms told us this story: ``One prominent offensive coordinator of a playoff team told me last season, `If Mike Nolan was the defensive coordinator here, we would win the Super Bowl.' He's so well thought of around the league.''
NBC's Cris Collinsworth said Nolan, the ex-49ers coach, is Miami's ``biggest offseason acquisition'' -- though most would say it's Brandon Marshall or Karlos Dansby -- and said ``Nolan's is as impressive a run defense as any I saw.''
Brian Billick has called Nolan ``the best coach I've ever been around.'' Dan Reeves, who made Nolan a first-time coordinator with the Giants in 1993 (when Nolan was 34), said, ``Every defensive coordinator that's good disguises things, and he's proven he's one of the better ones.''
So what can Dolfans expect? ``Nolan does more things than [predecessor] Paul Pasqualoni,'' said Washington defensive lineman Vonnie Holliday, who played in Pasqualoni's Dolphins defense in 2008 and Nolan's Broncos defense in '09.
``Coach P wasn't as experienced a coordinator. Nolan blitzes more than Pasqualoni and he'll attack people as long as you don't give up the big play. The Dolphins' success will depend on the secondary holding up one-on-one. Nolan is really good, a guy you want to play for.''
UniversalDraft.com studied Nolan's Denver tendencies and found he rushed his inside linebackers on passing attempts far more than Pasqualoni did. That trend could repeat here, because Karlos Dansby is a better pass-rusher than ousted Akin Ayodele.
Also, Pasqualoni used six defensive backs at once on 30 percent of downs in '09; Nolan did it only 3 percent. Nolan ``gives cornerbacks the opportunity to make plays,'' Allen said.
Nolan, adept at adjusting to fit his team's personnel, will use different looks to maximize his defensive line's athleticism. ``I love his philosophy -- it's proven,'' Jason Ferguson said. ``It's an attacking defense and hopefully will cause more turnovers.''
Though Nolan's defense struggled late last year in Denver, it finished seventh (up from 29th the year before, without him) and its sacks jumped by 13, to 39. Miami was 22nd in total defense in '09, leading to Pasqualoni's firing.

Love Nolan, i just hope than Vontae and Smith can hold up one-on-one. I love them, but they are still inexperienced. Nolan had Bailey and Goodman in Denver. They are both veterans and know the game well. I guess only time will tell, but i am 100% sure that this defense will be marginally better than last season's.

Love Nolan, i just hope than Vontae and Smith can hold up one-on-one. I love them, but they are still inexperienced. Nolan had Bailey and Goodman in Denver. They are both veterans and know the game well. I guess only time will tell, but i am 100% sure that this defense will be marginally better than last season's.

I hope we can snag Atogwe, that would complete our defense and help Davis and Smith.

Coming from the SB winning HC who'd know best:

Brian Billick has called Nolan ``the best coach I've ever been around.''
..so much for those Jet fans who're claiming that fatso is the "best defensive mind in the NFL" :up:

Universal is now getting quoted on the Herald site

UniversalDraft.com studied Nolan's Denver tendencies and found he rushed his inside linebackers on passing attempts far more than Pasqualoni did. That trend could repeat here, because Karlos Dansby is a better pass-rusher than ousted Akin Ayodele.

they are deveoping a not so secret following amongst local media - well done guys. you deserve it

..so much for those Jet fans who're claiming that fatso is the "best defensive mind in the NFL" :up:

Fatso came to the Jets and his first year had the #1 ranked defense, despite losing one of their best players earlier in the season in Kris Jenkins.

Fatso came to the Jets and his first year had the #1 ranked defense, despite losing one of their best players earlier in the season in Kris Jenkins.

The point of the article was is about how complete of a D.C. Nolan is. As stated in the article Nolan turned the Broncos 29th ranked defense around to the 17th ranked defense. And that is with just a few really good players.

If I am not mistaken the Jets defense was still considered one of the better Ds in the league before Ryan's fat *** landed on New York. He had better weapons than Nolan did in Denver, so he was able to create a better deffense. And because he had better weapons to work with losing one player didn't bring the entire D down. I am sure Nolan would have done the samething for the Jets if he would have landed there as well.

The point of the article was is about how complete of a D.C. Nolan is. As stated in the article Nolan turned the Broncos 29th ranked defense around to the 17th ranked defense. And that is with just a few really good players.

If I am not mistaken the Jets defense was still considered one of the better Ds in the league before Ryan's fat *** landed on New York. He had better weapons than Nolan did in Denver, so he was able to create a better deffense. And because he had better weapons to work with losing one player didn't bring the entire D down. I am sure Nolan would have done the samething for the Jets if he would have landed there as well.

7th - not 17th.

Whats funny is that most of the defenses Nolan has coached in his career were mediocre to bad.

man...some of you guys have a serious inferiority complex.

Back
Top Bottom