NORV........Great or Riding The Coat Tails of.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NORV........Great or Riding The Coat Tails of....

Where does Norv fit in here....

• Great Play Caller........WOW

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Good Play Caller......

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • Bad Play Caller.....

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Should Retire.....

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
Keep in mind his only great seasons he had:

Hall Of Fame:
OL * QB * HB * WR = Superbowl Wins!!!!

without the above = (2) NFL Leading Rushers where the Team did not even make the playoffs!!!!

HELL I could have had my girlfriends cat call the plays and still win the same amount of supebowls...perhaps even more... with that much talent.

He is good, but not deceptive enough. Especially with the line we had this year. Some deception could have helped.

I blame Wanne and the lack of a passing game for much of Norv's apparent failures
Wannstedt doesn't deny imposing his will on the offense but defends his actions by saying he was doing what was necessary to win.

'You have to do what you can do as a coach to win,'' he said. ``We had a rookie left tackle. You want to drop back and throw it 50 times in a game? How much sense does that make?
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/7629204.htm

Norv is good, just not one of the best as we believed when we got him

Originally posted by dolphan39
I blame Wanne and the lack of a passing game for much of Norv's apparent failures http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/7629204.htm

Norv is good, just not one of the best as we believed when we got him

I agree totally. The offense this past season was supposed to install all the bells and whistles of Norv's system after the vanilla version was implemented in 2002. However, with all the OL and other problems, there actually was less diversity in 2003 than 2002. I will hold my assessment of Norv until he has the horses (near 50% of cap $) on O and has free rein to fit his system to that talent base. Will we get close in 2004? If the GM balances the cap $ between O and D and if Wanny doesn't dictate the O scheme - then maybe we will see what Norv can really do.

People forget that in 1999, when the Rams won the Superbowl with Kurt Warner and that explosive offense, it was Norv Turner's Washington offense that was #1 in the NFL.

Who did Norv have on that offense:

Stephen Davis -- A very good, but not great, running back.

Brad Johnson -- A middle of the road quarterback that fit the drop back passing system.

Michael Westbrook -- More known for knocking Stephen Davis cold than his 1,000 yard receiving season in 1999.

Albert Connell -- More known for stealing from Deuce McCallister than his 1,000 yard receiving season in 1999.

Stephen Alexander -- A solid, pass catching tight end.

Brad Baxter was his starting left tackle. Cory Raymer, who is now a back up in San Diego, was his starting center. His right tackle was a rookie in Jon Jansen.

Yet, that was the #1 rated offense in the NFL for that season.

I don't know if it's Norm of Dave, but there didn't seem to be much creativity.

One thing I cannot understand is why we don't use some of the bread and butter palys that seem to be in everybody elses repertoire. For instance, does anybody remember ever one WR screen? How about a shovel pass? What about the "long handoff" that Marino used to throw to Byars? Heck, those passes always seem to get about 5 yards! Everytime I saw Ricky or Konrad in the flat or on a swing pass, it appeared to be as a safety valve, and the plays were always so slow in developing that the LB was always there to blow up. The QB needs to make quicker decisions...

Originally posted by KBISBACK
People forget that in 1999, when the Rams won the Superbowl with Kurt Warner and that explosive offense, it was Norv Turner's Washington offense that was #1 in the NFL.

Who did Norv have on that offense:

Stephen Davis -- A very good, but not great, running back.

Brad Johnson -- A middle of the road quarterback that fit the drop back passing system.

Michael Westbrook -- More known for knocking Stephen Davis cold than his 1,000 yard receiving season in 1999.

Albert Connell -- More known for stealing from Deuce McCallister than his 1,000 yard receiving season in 1999.

Stephen Alexander -- A solid, pass catching tight end.

Brad Baxter was his starting left tackle. Cory Raymer, who is now a back up in San Diego, was his starting center. His right tackle was a rookie in Jon Jansen.

Yet, that was the #1 rated offense in the NFL for that season.

You beat me to it. People see this year's O and forget that Norv was handcuffed. It's beyond the scope of this thread to debate whether he was handcuffed by Wanny, the QB or the OL, but there is no doubt that we haven't seen the whole offense.

I think Norvs Griese experiment failed. which made fiedler the guy he would rely on to go over the middle. JF didnt do bad, but i think norv didnt do enough stuff. ya know?

It was average this year. It was bad at times, while it was good at times. It definitely was not as good as it was in 2002. Norv never used the counter play, which makes no sense after it was so successful in 2002. The playcalling was not as imaginitive as it was in 2002 either. There were many times during a game where I knew exactly what we were going to do. The run calls were pretty bad, all we really did was run right up the middle (there was a pitch every once in a while), and it didn't do us anything.

Back
Top Bottom