Norv Using Mcknight...he Will Have The Most Routes. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Norv Using Mcknight...he Will Have The Most Routes.

DIRTYCASHHOLDIN

Practice Squad
Reaction score
While I am at camp this morning....I am really going to see how NORV TURNER is using WR JAMES McKNIGHT....in that slot WR position.

When I was at camp this past weekend.....the reporters were talking about how McKnight...will be used in NORV's system.....and that it is McKNIGHT.....who will be running and will have to be responsible for learning the most routes, in NORVS scheme.

People were asking on the boards...about the depth chart....and how McKNIGHT has supposedly leap-frogged over GADSDEN...on the team's depth chart. This is really not correct. Actually.....you can say....that McKNIGHT has leap-frogged over DEDRIC WARD. GADSDEN is just not yet close to being 100% healthy.....thats the case....its not like he was "demoted". WARD....will be used in the 4-wide sets...so he has not fallen off the cliffs....either.

But from what I am hearing......NORV really wants to optimize JAMES MCKNIGHT in the slot this season......as he and Coach FORD have gone over with JAMES....time and time again---all of the drops, bops, and blunders....all the ones that the fans seem to remember. They both seem to have him focused on the task at hand now.....as they realize that Mcknight was probably a little down this off-season. The coaches know that Mcknight was brought in here to produce...and to get into the endzone.....but unfortuantely....McKNIGHT...has been somewhat of a disapointment thus far.

Now....with a clean slate...a new year...and a new OC in NORV TURNER.....could this be the BREAKOUT YEAR.....for one JAMES McKNIGHT?

So far....it looks like he is having a lot of action go his way....as NORV is literally giving him the playbook....so to speak.

This is probably going to be the most critical season for JAMES McKNIGHT's....future.....particularly in a Dolphin uniform. He must produce....big-time....this season.

One things for sure.....his TD's better be more than his "mistakes". It was pretty close last season....
DCH

Even though a lot of people get down on McKnight for his drops, I really like watching the guy. I especially remember a play last year when Fiedler got his bell rung- big time- and wanted to stay in on the play (I can't remeber who they were playing.) McKnight was the first one over to Jay to see if he was alright and, when he saw that he was knocked a little silly, he was right there trying to convince him to step out for a play or two. While this was a relatively small thing this just showed me that the guy cares and is not just out there to make a buck. I really hope he does well this year and produces at a Pro-Bowl level...for his sake and ours. :)

Interesting. I look forward to see how it pans out with McKnights hands in the slot. I've always been a believe of keeping your speed on the outside and having your best pair of hands in the slot. I guess Norv's playbook calls for speed there.

I have complete faith in McKnight. I have always backed him up vs. the nay-sayers. I know he will have a very productive season. And with him being a busy component in the Fins offense as the slot receiver, I see good things to come from him. I like the match up of McKnight's excellent speed vs. a nickel back. All the focus will be on Chambers and Gadsden, and McKnight will be the one that will hurt the opposing defense. No knock on Chambers, because he is our best receiver and will be stud for many years in the NFL. All I'm saying is our opponents will pay careful attention to Chambers this year and McKnight will be running wild all over the field. :D

Since we have Ricky Williams, and Norv is sipposedly going to use our TEs and FBs more in the offense, other teams will have much more to worry about than just our WRs!! Great post!!

I wonder if James will trully be the go to guy, or is it because he is the only healthy WR that is likely to see any playing-time, that is in camp right now? I just don't see Mcknight being the go to guy, with Ward emerging late last season, Chambers stepping up to be our future at the WR postion, and Gadsen's consistentsy when he is healthy. I would have to beleave that Mcknight needs to have a great training camp and preseason to stay among the top 2 wrs.

DCH - what about Chambers ? Or is it too soon to tell since he's hurt ? Chambers seemed to have about 2 or 3 routes all of last year and I figure no team can give him single coverage and stop him, but if he's double-teamed he needs new routes like the Colts run for Harrison that get him open, i.e. crossing routes.

after watching mcknight drop the ball

so many times last year(he'd better be better this year) i sure hope your talking about "paper routes!"

Norv Using Mcknight...he Will Have The Most Routes.

Re: after watching mcknight drop the ball

Originally posted by dolfan06
"paper routes!"
clear.gif

If McKnight has another bad year it will be Paper Routes...Hell I'll even give him a bike...:D

that article certainly makes you want to give McDrops another chance, especially:
His focus was on getting first downs, and in running quick outs and stop routes over the middle. He had 20 receptions on third down, seventh-most in the NFL.
:cool:

this is why some of us hate him:
Receivers coach Robert Ford believes about ''five bad plays'' obscured an otherwise fine season. Most notable among the errors: a bobble that turned into a Jets interception touchdown, and a drop on a deep ball against Baltimore in the playoffs. McKnight said he ignored offseason media reports on the Dolphins, but friends and family informed him of criticism.

McKnight and his game......

There is no question in my mind that James McKnight has the speed and ability to be an impact player in our games. However, for whatever reason, he hasn't shown the consistentcy that makes a Star a Star. On one play he runs a great route, makes a tough catch, or has an awesome run after the catch. The next time we go to him he runs a lame route, or drops an easy ball, or bobbles it into a defender for an easy INT.

Stars are Stars because they play at a higher level than everyone else. McKnight is now in a staring role on our team....without having earned that role. It's put up or shut up time for him. If his season isnt WAY better than last he won't be a Fin next year.

I just don't know if I can forgive the bad plays... even how few they were. The Jets bobble/int/TD-return was a back-breaker and swung the momentum permanently in that game. The Drop on a PERFECT pass that was a bobble/INT in the Baltimore game would have been a TD and momentum turner in that game also.

But, even without those... there were TOO many times last year where he had catchable balls and just did not make the effort to go up and get them. I remember a few that sailed just over his fingertips... if all he had done is leave his feet they would have been catches for big plays... but it seems he didn't want to get dirty... or just didn't care enough. That is unacceptable IMO.

he has the talent.....

Originally posted by grooves12
I just don't know if I can forgive the bad plays... even how few they were. The Jets bobble/int/TD-return was a back-breaker and swung the momentum permanently in that game. The Drop on a PERFECT pass that was a bobble/INT in the Baltimore game would have been a TD and momentum turner in that game also.

But, even without those... there were TOO many times last year where he had catchable balls and just did not make the effort to go up and get them. I remember a few that sailed just over his fingertips... if all he had done is leave his feet they would have been catches for big plays... but it seems he didn't want to get dirty... or just didn't care enough. That is unacceptable IMO.
and the speed, it just seems like he goes through the motions, but really would rather be someplace else!

Back
Top Bottom