Not A Good Draft | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Not A Good Draft

The problem is they have to play Rosen this season to see what they have in him. They need to know if he can be a franchise type QB by the end of the season. If they feel that he won't be, they will probably draft a QB in the 1st round next year. They don't have time to wait and find out down the road.

First and foremost, if Flores and Chad O'Shea are good evaluators they will certainly be able to see what Rosen is about based on his performance in practice and in class. Beyond that -- I'm sure they would prefer to get him some live bullet action next season but I don't see them being overly aggressive about that -- in fact I see the opposite. They're going to be conservative in the process, which IMO is also (by far) the BEST WAY to groom a young QB prospect as opposed to throwing him to the wolves.

Rumor has it this O is very demanding on the QB -- from a mental and functional perspective. That's all the more reason to take your time (because we're NOT winning the SB this upcoming season) and allow Rosen to get really comfortable in the system and PROVE in practice he's ready for live bullets. Testing the new product too early will only accomplish a set back IMO -- and potentially damage the merchandise.

Last, regardless of what Rosen shows or doesn't show in live action next season, that will not preclude our taking another QB in 2020. And if somehow Rosen masters the O quickly and demonstrates some serious results in the season (and I'm thinking a back-end sample of 6 games should be sufficient for that determination along with excellent, consistent practice results) we will have "significant options" for our expected high draft position.

I'm just going to say it again -- this upcoming season is purely developmental and there's no rush to prove the process at this point. And based on what I think Rosen is all about at this point in his career -- he's NOT READY to prove he's a vaunted "franchise QB" at this point. Gotta give it some time.

And I'm sure that "fact" bothers me as much as it bothers you. I was not pulling for the trade but now that it's done I sure hope we handle the process intelligently and don't force things.

Last, in terms of positioning ourselves for the highest draft position next year -- this draft accomplishes a lot in that direction. Simple fact is we could have added at least 2 more impact players (legit potential starters) with the R2 we traded along with a more aggressive approach in R3 R4. So I'd categorize this as "the draft that could have been" but was in large part deferred for longer term potential. So don't expect much immediate gratification...

As always, it's impossible to determine if this was good - great - or suck draft until the core results (or lack thereof) become clarified. In a year or 2 this draft could look like a hero -- or a total loser.

BNF

To hell with that. **** that mindset. We got a QB...coach him up and win. Period.

Very few. It's draft day. Everyone loves every pick and pick up and flames anyone who doesn't. With that being said I will reserve judgement until the real games start.
smart

Really don't get the, aww man this was a bad draft talk.

Name our for sure starters or guys ready to contribute early. That's your answer. We have a team devoid of talent and were only able to find one, since I do not think Deiter is ready yet, person that can play early.

Lets say the plan is Rosen, did we do enough to put him in a better situation than Arizona?

Edit: Look at what teams like Cincy and Washington, who are in similar situations, did and compare it to what we did.

Last edited:
Name our for sure starters or guys ready to contribute early. That's your answer. We have a team devoid of talent and were only able to find one, since I do not think Deiter is ready yet, person that can play early.

Lets say the plan is Rosen, did we do enough to put him in a better situation than Arizona?

We can't fill every position in one draft. It was a good start to a rebuild, especially if we found our starter at QB.

I think some of you would complain no matter what they did because there were still going to be holes regardless.

I think I should amend my earlier post. I don't mind that we traded for Rosen. What I do mind is the details of the trade.

We can't fill every position in one draft. It was a good start to a rebuild, especially if we found our starter at QB.

I think some of you would complain no matter what they did because there were still going to be holes regardless.
But it's not about filling holes. I said for-sure starter or contributor outside of Wilkins. There was no CB chosen to possibly challenge Rowe and Tankersley for the #2 CB spot, no SS to possibly supplant Reshad, no DE, no Center (Deiter may be a factor here), etc. We did better in UDFA than in the actual draft.

A critique isn't a complaint btw.

But it's not about filling holes. I said for-sure starter or contributor outside of Wilkins. There was no CB chosen to possibly challenge Rowe and Tankersley for the #2 CB spot, no SS to possibly supplant Reshad, no DE, no Center (Deiter may be a factor here), etc. We did better in UDFA than in the actual draft.

A critique isn't a complaint btw.
My point is if we drafted those positions, then the complaint would be that we didn't focus on the OL or whatever else. Can't do it all.

So, you wanted Rosen in the first last year, but you aren't happy that they traded a second for him this year? That makes no sense.

Also, since the recouped a 2nd for next year, it essentially cost us a 4th and 5th.

I wasn't enamoured with this draft class in the first place... Not our draft class, but the entire draft class. I think we did well with our first three picks and the ok the rest of the way. It was solid but not spectacular, and it goes without saying we need solid right now. We've tried the spectacular drafts on overall weak teams before and we've gotten nowhere. We just have too many needs to have gotten too cute in this draft. IMHO.

Not a good draft

I was wondering if there was anyone on this forum who did not like this draft at all.

For the our first pick at first I did not like the pick we made but now the big boy is growing on me.

As for the second round I'm not all that happy that we spent a second on Rosen even though we picked up another second for next year, you won't see me complain though as last year I was at the edge of my seat hoping that we drafted Rosen until Arizona crushed my dreams.

As for the rest of the draft I felt like it was horse ****, I'm not complaining, im all in for seeing how it all pans out, however I do have an early on opinion that I hope I'm wrong about.

There was all American talent all across the board in the later rounds and we passed them for players most of us are not familiar with or that was Barley productive in college.

I feel like they are trying to mold everything into the patriots way, ever since they came on board they are copying everything the patriots do and I feel like we have spend decades hating them just to follow their lead because of success?

These things come with good and bad traits, like in the lower rounds wastinf picks drafting running backs when we have huge needs in other areas. The patriots love having running backs and are always shifting through them, how about finding our guy at running back and one other guy to supplement them. Not go through 5-6 running backs a season with a few getting cut and brought back like new England does.

Can we just bring a bit of the patriots way and form our own way as well? Instead of trying to copy everything the patriots do? Seems like we are being followers in some shape or form.
How about our way sucks and if you like average why change - to do the same thing over and over again is the definition of insanity

I wasn't enamoured with this draft class in the first place... Not our draft class, but the entire draft class. I think we did well with our first three picks and the ok the rest of the way. It was solid but not spectacular, and it goes without saying we need solid right now. We've tried the spectacular drafts on overall weak teams before and we've gotten nowhere. We just have too many needs to have gotten too cute in this draft. IMHO.

This draft class wasn't amazing but there was still value that we failed to get.

We've tried spectacular drafts before? I can maybe only think of

2016-because of the Tunsil fall, and in that draft we netted three starters with our first three picks and a decent gadget player in Jakeem.

2012-Tannehill, Martin, Miller, Rishard, and OV were all starters.

We've gotten no where because we haven't had the right coach and or selected the correct player in drafts.

Back
Top Bottom