not as bad as it looked | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

not as bad as it looked

downfield

Starter
Reaction score
Guys:

I watched the game today. I think there was one notable turning point: when Traylor lost the sack on Losman in the second quarter and he hit the 24 yd pass to the tightend. Had we sacked him they punt into the wind from their 6 yd line. That play turned the field position battle around in favor of the Bills, shortly after which they scored.

Here is what I saw today:

1. We gave up touchdown passes, yes, but we had good pressure on Losman and they couldn't run on us. The problem was that our cb's continually don't play the ball well. That needs to be improved.

2. The coaches didn't have faith in Joey and that was clear. I am sure he sensed that himself, and when he did throw, he was off-target or his receivers dropped balls. Joey also missed Chambers on the deep throw, and he has done that a couple times in the past four to five weeks.

3. The play calling was too conservative in the first quarter when we were moving the ball. Once the Bills d started putting 8 in the box, we needed to pass on first down to loosen them up.

My take:

1. If we get another cb who can play the ball, we are looking pretty good on defense. This game was not lost by our D. The last touchdown was a waste since we were blitzing in desperation. We would not have played the same D on that play had we been even or ahead in the score. That means the D would have only given up 14 pts, and we should be able to win with that.

2. The main problem on offense is hard to decifer. But, the problem is QB. Joey is not accruate and throws the ball too hard on short routes. That said, Randy and Chris dropped passes too, especially Randy. My question is did joey throw the ball too hard and inaccruately for him or does Randy just have questionable hands? Which came first the chicken or the egg? Well, I think QB is the problem- while also acknolwedging that Randy and Chris do drop catcable bals. This is our predicament. The line played fine today, we need a QB who can control the game and put fear in the eyes of the other D.

3. Randy and Chris are inconsistent, but Chris has been WIDE open on several occassions DEEP down the field during the past eight weeks. Remember the long passes Joey missed in the Bears game to Book and Chris? He missed Chris in the Patriots game too, wide open deep. He missed him again today after Chambers pushed off on Clements, again, open enough for an NFL caliber QB. My point is, Chambers gets open deep, that is his forte, and we don't get him the ball. I say our TE and WR are fine, although we need a SPEED wideout to hit those reverses. If Ginn had that Booker reverse today, he would be gone.

4. We need 1 dominant O-lineman. I don't care if it is a guard, tackle, or center. All good lines have one dominant lineman.

So, we really aren't that far away, the problem is our biggest need is QB and those are difficult to come by. That said, if Pep can come back and we can get: 1- cornerback who plays the ball well, 1 - speed, very fast WR, 1 - dominant O-lineman, we shoudl be fine.

What do you think? We could have had this game today with a QB. What sucks, is watching the bills look like they have a decent and improving QB.

. We need 1 dominant O-lineman. I don't care if it is a guard, tackle, or center. All good lines have one dominant lineman.

Uhhhhhhhh we need at least 2 good OL.

Yes, it was as bad as it looked.

Quite frankly, we could have had Peyton Manning back there and I still don't know if we would have won.

The receivers dropped passes. The secondary gave up too many big plays. The play calling was too conservative.

Joey stunk, but he had some company.

When you're making excuses saying a 21-0 shutout loss is not as bad as it looked, you've got a serious problem, this team is not that good. Period. Our D is good, but it's never won us a big-time game, as for the offense...well 0 points should just about sum it up. Flame me all you want, but this team needs a serious shakeup.

RoninFin4 said:
When you're making excuses saying a 21-0 shutout loss is not as bad as it looked, you've got a serious problem, this team is not that good. Period. Our D is good, but it's never won us a big-time game, as for the offense...well 0 points should just about sum it up. Flame me all you want, but this team needs a serious shakeup.

agreed :up:

dude that game was pretty awful for you guys. we beat you in every aspect of the game.

I disagree. We aren't that far away. Just look at the Saints as an example. The Bills didn't destroy us.

downfield said:
I disagree. We aren't that far away. Just look at the Saints as an example. The Bills didn't destroy us.
Were you guys saying you didnt destroy the Pats last week??? You guys got your butts kicked today.......PERIOD!!!!!!!!:cooldude:

downfield said:

21-0...what in the hell do you call that? We have no playmakers on offense, they already had Deuce, got Brees, drafted Bush, found a gem in Colston and had a lot of speed in Henderson. They also happened to hit on some of their drafted lineman like Jamal Brown and Jahri Evans. When this happens to us, let me know. We're a lot farther away than our performance the past two years indicates, and without having any certainty on Daunte's knee, we're probably further away than I even care to see.

We might have a chance to reverse that this offseason with the cap room we've got, but we've got a long way to go. We don't stockpile picks, we bring in stop-gap free agents. That's not the way to win in today's NFL.

Bills16Fins6 said:
Were you guys saying you didnt destroy the Pats last week??? You guys got your butts kicked today.......PERIOD!!!!!!!!:cooldude:
yea we know hes wrong

PhinGeneral said:
Yes, it was as bad as it looked.

Quite frankly, we could have had Peyton Manning back there and I still don't know if we would have won.

The receivers dropped passes. The secondary gave up too many big plays. The play calling was too conservative.

Joey stunk, but he had some company.

Maybe not won, but C'mon that's a completely different ballgame with Peyton freakin Manning back there. First off when we were running the ball at will at the begining of the game the coaching staff would have had enough confidence in Manning to start using play action right away. Second, Manning would never check down with every throw so that alone probably would have saved us 5 or 6 drops. Harrington may not have been the only problem today but he was most definetly the biggest. How can an NFL QB not get anything going when his offense is running the ball well and get a qucik turnover at the begining of the ballgame?????

The bills didn't destroy us. THe conditions destroyed Joey. There is a big difference. Joey was not hit and pounded on like Brady was. Enjoy the win Bills fan's, but this was not as bad as it looked.

I just don't think we are that far away. I prefer the glass if half full viewpoint.

We got our behinds handed to us, period. If J.P. Losman is able to play in that weather then Joey should be able to as well

Back
Top Bottom