Not Much To Report Until May 21st... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Not Much To Report Until May 21st...

DIRTYCASHHOLDIN

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Hello Everyone...

I realize things are a little slow right now....but in 11 days....its back to camp reporting.

The next camp....QB SCHOOL #2 begins on TUESDAY...MAY 21st.....I will certainly be there.

All the rookies will be present for these 3 sessions.

Like I said.....things are pretty quiet right now....although....the players are continuing to do their weight training down at Dolphincamp.

The only news worth mentioning right now....

BRYAN WEIDMYER is being groomed to replace current Dolphin President....EDDIE JONES....who will officially retire from the front office---once this upcoming season is over. If you saw the list that OZZY put up earlier...on which teams are managing the NFL salary cap the best---you saw that the Dolphins were in that elite group of 8 teams. One of the main reasons is because of this guy....BRYAN WEIDMYER. He is a young guy also....and we should be happy that he will soon be signed up with a nice promotion.. WEIDMYER is an accounting wizard...and indeed...one of those salary-capologists. The DOlphins had to put WEIDMYER on a list of front office execs...who are soon to be promoted....to protect themselves...from other teams that might be interested in hiring him away. From what I understand....there were a number of teams...who have tried to speak with WEIDMYER....but the DOlphin brass did not grant speaking permission. Thus....the Dolphins have informed the LEAGUE OFFICES...that WEIDMYER is due to be promoted in due time.

There is a lot of talk about CADE McKNOWN...and its not positive. He needs to have a much better camp starting on the 21st. His 3/4 side-armed delivery is producing wounded ducks...more than spirals...and he is facing a very stiff challenge this time around....from TIM LEVCIK.

I did not see this as clear as the Dolphins coaches.....but after further reveiw and grading.....its TIM LEVCIK...all 6-6 240 pounds of him---that has been the most impressive out there....for the THIRD QB SPOT thus far.

LEVCIK has the best arm. out there....next to RAY LUCAS. His arm is stronger than both ZAK KUSTOK and MCNOWN...and the coaches liked the way he handled the offense overall.

Its almost unbelievable to see just how much CADE McNown's stock has fallen..... Yes...TIM LEVCIK has a chance to unseat CADE for the third QB job. Its going to come down to the pre-season games for CADE..... he has to produce....or I believe he will be gone.

The player whose stock has risen the most since last camp-----is none other than Te...ALONZO MAYES. He has remained working out at Dolphincamp...and is running out on the field daily to lose some more weight. MAYES...who originally reported to camp at about 290 pounds....is now down to 265 pounds...and is definately out of the doghouse. MAYES had put together some nice practices at the end of the last school....and was clearly the best TE during the last QB school...even out-performing JED WEAVER. MAYES...is back in the mix...he just has to stay healthy. It could be a battle on who will start----either WEAVER or MAYES.

As far as any immenent signings go......I don't think you will see the Dolphins do anything until after JUNE 1st.

Matter of fact....the Dolphins are really in good salary-cap shape right now....and if they did not release anybody on JUNE 1st....it would not surprise me. I keep hearing TODD PERRY is a candidate for release.....but the Dolphins don't necessarily have to do anything on the 1st...with concern to PERRY or anyone. I believe we are something like a tad over 3 million dollars under the cap right now....but some of that money will be going toward these draft picks.

ROB BURNETT.....if there is nobody the DOlphins see on that upcoming cut list that they deem is better.....he will most likely be here.

I would think....unless there is a complete unexpected turnaround with CHRIS CARTER's demands.....its a dead issue. The Dolphins know that CARTER is working out in BOCA...and wants to play here.....and they have said nothing...absolutely nothing on their end. WANNY said....CARTER...."is not on are radar screen"....before the draft...and that monicker has continued.

I am really looking forward to reporting in the next QB SCHOOL....because....all of the WR's are getting healthier....and this should provide some more offense out there. The lack of big plays and touchdowns were not that commonplace last time around....as the defense was much ahead of the offense....mainly due to the injured WR;s---and of course....the newness and unfarmiliar play-calling of one...NORV TURNER.

Lets all hang in there...for the next few days.....DOLPHINCAMP will be re-opening shortly..... thank goodness...we will get the boards moving shortly...I promise.
DCH

DE?

Hey everyone,

Thanks DCH for a little update and insight. I'm beginning to think we are okay at DE and would rather the Dolphins upgrade another area on the roster. If I had to pick today I would pobably go with WR instead of DE.

:D :cool: :D

Nice update DCH. Whilst I don't enjoy hearing that Cade is not performing at an acceptable level, it's an interesting insight that Levcik is making the most of the opportunity and has a real shot at the 3rd place.

With around $2m Cap headroom we could make a significant upgrade at one spot or get a little solid pro depth at two. I like the idea of getting star WR over DE which I think is a good spot for DG.

Keenan is getting interest (according to KFFL) from several other suitors which might push him out of the financial reach we have (though they're the usual no hopers and a shot at the title might swing it in the Fins direction). I wouldn't mind if Carter came back on the scope post June 1 when he gets no offers from other "contenders", though he has already shown it's more about the $ bill than the title shot. If we had some serious saving to be made by cutting anyone , then Antonio Freeman might become a viable target and I think he's worth the $2.5-3 mill against the cap if we could get him for that. He's under 30 (just) and has consistent ypg stats (JMO).
:cool:

Thanks DCH. When talking to Oronde, he said Chambers was not doing anything yet...which is both suprising, and frightening at the same time.

I have never heard of a sprained ankle that took 4 months to completely heal.

He said no one was worried about it, but I don't see how that couldn't worry the coaching staff.

Originally posted by dolfan87
Thanks DCH. When talking to Oronde, he said Chambers was not doing anything yet...which is both suprising, and frightening at the same time.

I have never heard of a sprained ankle that took 4 months to completely heal.

He said no one was worried about it, but I don't see how that couldn't worry the coaching staff.

I always got the feeling that they were just treating him with baby hands. Not willing to push him back out there until it was 100% and not a percentage point earlier.

Must be Van.

Plus if the coaches were worried, Chris Carter would probably already be a Dolphin.

Figures that McNown is a complete flop. I never thought he was a first round talent. In fact, I had him graded in the 4th round and said he would be a back up at best. All he will ever be is a short QB with no arm that has to run around to throw the ball.

It is down right hilarious that Miami will be the only team in the league that doesn't have a single drafted QB on their roster.

Does St Louis have a drafted QB on their roster? I know Warner is first string, and Jamie Martin is second string...the rest of the guys I have no idea.

Re: DE?

Originally posted by SWS84
Hey everyone,

Thanks DCH for a little update and insight. I'm beginning to think we are okay at DE and would rather the Dolphins upgrade another area on the roster. If I had to pick today I would pobably go with WR instead of DE.

:D :cool: :D

There's a method to their "madness". Just have to take a step back and look at the position. Obviously, Jason Taylor is set over at RDE. Daryl Gardener is the LDE. And Daryl's role is going to be run-stopper extrordinaire. Behind these two are David Bowens and Alfred Ogunleye, followed by street FAs Al Wallace and Rod Kelly, who are both smaller/pass rush-type DEs.

Gardener's durability is unknown. His back hasn't held up the last few years. And if DG goes down, there is nobody else on the roster who can hold up at the point of attack (besides Taylor). And this is where Burnett comes in. Once considered one of the league's best DEs, Burnett is, pound for pound, one of the strongest players out there. Burnett is a very active DE. He can hold up at the point of attack. And when healthy, he can rush the passer. An all-around DE.

I've seen a lot of talk in the press and on boards about Burnett failing to register a sack last year. But everyone failts to mention that Burnett played injured for pretty much the entire year. In 2000 (Baltimore's championship season), Burnett played in every game and had 10.5 sacks..3 forced fumbles...4 passes defended...and 1 INT. Not bad at all.

Burnett does have a history of knee problems. And he had ankle and calf problems as well as a broken hand last year. So injuries are catching up to him. But being out of the starting lineup can only help.

All in all, he'd be a strong addition. Great for depth.

Originally posted by dolfan87
Does St Louis have a drafted QB on their roster? I know Warner is first string, and Jamie Martin is second string...the rest of the guys I have no idea.

Only their 3rd string QB, Marc Bulger, was ever drafted. But he was drafted in the SIXTH round. And not even by the Rams. Actually, Bulger was drafted by the Saints in 2000, then went to the Rams, then the Falcons, then the Rams again. So it's no sure thing that he'll make the team.

That doesn't discount the fact that he was drafted though.

Sure it won't KB, as long as he makes the final roster.

Which won't be a problem because they only have 3 QBs on their roster. Unless you count Steve Belisari as a QB.

Back
Top Bottom