Not the consensus top pick... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Not the consensus top pick...

Reciever is a much larger need than TE and if you dont think they will draft one early you must of not followed last years draft. He drafted two recievers to TRY to fill that need of a true number 1 reciever and it seems like he has not filled it if Henne comes out and says he likes his recievers but would love a number one... He basically said GIVE ME HELP NOW!!!! Also if you dont think a number 1 reciever is a need look at the 4 teams in the afc and nfc championship...
Jets-Braylon
Colts-Wayne
Saints-Coulston
Vikings-Rice

Here's why Demaryous Thomas is worth the 1.12:
He's big 6'3" 225 lbs
Speed in the 4.4-4.5 range (game speed too)
Can catch, go up for the ball, come back for it, break tackles, run past DBs, solid route runner, and strikes fear in opponents.
I can't highlight enough how much fear he strikes in opponents. Casuing double teams, mismatches, better opportunities for Ginn, Bess and Hartline, and helping Henne tremendously.
He's underrated. He played in a dominate run first offense at GT and his stats suffered because of it. Had he played for Texas, OK, USC or some of these other teams, his stats would be through the roof. Some NFL team will "reach", per the media, and have the next AJ or Fitz. He won't last past round one either. We're not the Oakland Raiders reaching on DHB and getting burnt. (Although I think DHB, with a good QB, could be a heck of a WR) I may have just lost all credibility, but needless, Miami is not Oakland. We have a future stud QB, one of the best o-lines and running games, a solid and young defense, and most importantly great coaches and owner. Demaryous Thomas is going to be the sleeper of the 1st rd. Mark my words, some NFL team who does their homework on this kid will hit a homerun. I just hope Bill pulls the trigger.

I don't get this. Here's my viewpoint.

Since Georgia Tech ran the ball on 90% of plays (or whatever), Thomas would never have been double teamed. Also, the opposing D always had "run" in their heads, and more often than not, stacked the box. On the plays that Nesbitt actually threw the ball, Thomas would be in single coverage against a defense that was expecting run. How would this hurt his stats? If anything, it would pad them. In my opinion, the reason he had such high YPC was because the safeties would be drawn into the box more often than not, leaving only one man to beat.

CK made a good point. He is no where near the finished product Nicks was last year, and Nicks went after 25. This guy doesnt deserve to be in the first round. IMO.

Reciever is a much larger need than TE and if you dont think they will draft one early you must of not followed last years draft. He drafted two recievers to TRY to fill that need of a true number 1 reciever and it seems like he has not filled it if Henne comes out and says he likes his recievers but would love a number one... He basically said GIVE ME HELP NOW!!!! Also if you dont think a number 1 reciever is a need look at the 4 teams in the afc and nfc championship...
Jets-Braylon
Colts-Wayne
Saints-Coulston
Vikings-Rice
doesn't that mean they will be less likely to spend a high pick at the same position?

Jim and J, he broke his foot-what's to prove? I think you're putting too much stock in the combine and pro work outs. They're great to get to know players on a personal level and see how they've improved since December, but players don't become NFL caliber athletes over night. Demaryous' might not be a fast twitch wr like Wess Welker, but he won't play the slot. We don't need that. We need a physical WR who can be a difference maker. He has the physical attributes that allow him to catch the ball over defenders. He's a big pressence in the red zone. He can break tackles. He can make people miss. He can BLOCK. How much better will our RBs be when they can get to the outside because of a WRs superior ability to block? How many longer running plays can be credited to a gifted blocking WR? This is a major role our offense lacks and it often goes unnoticed. I know first hand what a difference a solid blocking WR makes. He has the intangibles that make others around him better. That's what we need in a WR. Golden Tate won't do that. Bryant might, but does he have the right character? Maybe, maybe not. Benn could be, but he doesn't strike fear in defenders like Thomas does. I'd love it if Miami traded out of the 1.12 and got Thomas with something like the 1.20 or later, but then they risk someone else drafting him.

What's to prove is that he isn't slow. And even if he ran a 4.4 he lacks explosion and elusiveness. A few WRs can get away with that in the NFL a la Boldin, but my fear would be NFL Cornerbacks draped all over him because he can't separate. Personally I think that Benn would strike more fear in NFL defenders than DT would. I would take Benn over DT in a heartbeat.

What's to prove is that he isn't slow. And even if he ran a 4.4 he lacks explosion and elusiveness. A few WRs can get away with that in the NFL a la Boldin, but my fear would be NFL Cornerbacks draped all over him because he can't separate. Personally I think that Benn would strike more fear in NFL defenders than DT would. I would take Benn over DT in a heartbeat.

a la Boldin

Thats the key part of your post, I believe DT could really be the next "Boldin" type player. He has amazing run blocking skills which we would love, especially on WR screens and the reverses we love to run. He is big and fast and gets that YAC. I would be thrilled to take him at #43 and I would take him over Benn. If DT worked out at the combine he probaly moves into the mid-top of the first.

Im going to watch some more tape on him in a bit.

CK do you have a good breakdown of D. Thomas? I know his route running needs to be worked on, which I would believe to be coachable.

I agree our defense needs improvement, but it was good enough last year to keep us in games. It was clutch dropped balls by TE's & WR's that killed game winning drives. That was the difference in the end result of games and if we're going to draft a position that addresses our biggest difference then it just seems logical to me that our first priority would be WR/TE. I'd rather a WR because WR will have the greatest impact on increasing the level of play of all the other skilled positions, but one could make the argument there are only 2 chances at a difference maker at TE while there may be 3-4 at WR. Even still, D. Thomas would have the best affect on all other WR's and even RB's because of his blocking ability.

Thomas may not have seen a ton of double teams but every team had to game plan against him. That's enough to neutralize the notion that teams were too focused on their run. Didn't you watch the Miami/GT game? Even Miami was scared of him. One could argue the announcers don't know what they were talking about, but even they were focused on DT. Against Miami, 6 catches for 133 yards and a score.

Dez Bryant said he ran 4.32 a week ago then runs 4.52 at his workout. Bebe says he runs 4.38 but has a broken foot and can't run right now so he's got to prove he has that type of deep speed.

As it is he runs two routes in that triple threat offense. He's not really faced press coverage cause every corner played 10 yards off of him.

He's got a lot to prove and without a workout there are more questions than answers. I like the kid a lot but #12 overall? Not sure about that.

As it is he runs two routes in that triple threat offense. He's not really faced press coverage cause every corner played 10 yards off of him.

He's got a lot to prove and without a workout there are more questions than answers. I like the kid a lot but #12 overall? Not sure about that.

Watch highlights of him. I saw deep and short outs, slants, fades, posts, flies, comebacks and curls. He wouldn't excell in the slot, but I saw him run every route Randy Moss is asked to run.

A couple things I see over and over again. He over powers corners and safeties with his size and leaping ability. He has stong hands. He blocks well, catches well, runs after the catch well, has a great stiff arm, breaks tackles and makes guys miss. Seriously, that's why Andre Johnson does so well. Compare their game films from college. There's a ton of similarities.

I agree our defense needs improvement, but it was good enough last year to keep us in games. It was clutch dropped balls by TE's & WR's that killed game winning drives.

Did you not watch the NO & INDY games? We had the leads, we just couldnt hold on to them. Defense is what LOST us games last year.

Did you not watch the NO & INDY games? We had the leads, we just couldnt hold on to them. Defense is what LOST us games last year.

Did you not see that those two teams went to the SB? And, both had 2 of the best offenses in the NFL??? And, the 2 best QBs in the NFL? And yet somehow we were in both and lost because we didn't convert on crucial offensive plays. Yes, our defense was at fault too, but you can't win big games, you can't come back to win, and you can't reach Henne's ceiling without a top WR. WR should be our 1st priority.

Brandon Graham at 12, trade back into the mid 20s for DT.

"Championshiiiip"

Explain to me how Boldin can get away with that and DT wouldn't? Thomas is as physical as any WR I've seen in a while. Route running? Can be worked on, like the majority of WR's who come out. I do like Benn better but don't try to use Boldin as an example when DT, Benn, and Boldin are all very similar.

I agree our defense needs improvement, but it was good enough last year to keep us in games. It was clutch dropped balls by TE's & WR's that killed game winning drives. That was the difference in the end result of games and if we're going to draft a position that addresses our biggest difference then it just seems logical to me that our first priority would be WR/TE. I'd rather a WR because WR will have the greatest impact on increasing the level of play of all the other skilled positions, but one could make the argument there are only 2 chances at a difference maker at TE while there may be 3-4 at WR. Even still, D. Thomas would have the best affect on all other WR's and even RB's because of his blocking ability.

Thomas may not have seen a ton of double teams but every team had to game plan against him. That's enough to neutralize the notion that teams were too focused on their run. Didn't you watch the Miami/GT game? Even Miami was scared of him. One could argue the announcers don't know what they were talking about, but even they were focused on DT. Against Miami, 6 catches for 133 yards and a score.
What games were you watching last year? It was our offense that kept us in games, while our defense let the other teams march right on down the field in no time.

Back
Top Bottom