Notebook: Offensive Line Looking At Different Combinations | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Notebook: Offensive Line Looking At Different Combinations

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Dolphins Head Coach Joe Philbin said on the first day of training camp he would look at different combinations along the offensive line, and that’s just what happened Sunday.

Sam Brenner took snaps at center with the first-team unit, while rookie third-round pick Billy Turner got some work with the first-teamers at left guard. First-round pick Ja’Wuan James, Dallas Thomas and Branden Albert again took all the first-team reps at right tackle, right guard and left tackle, respectively.

Brenner started four games at left guard as a rookie late last season, but played center at the University of Utah.

As for Turner, he’s making the transition to guard after playing left tackle at North Dakota State.

“(I’m) definitely seeing a lot of development from the OTAs, where not surprisingly because coming from North Dakota State from left tackle, playing a new position, there’s a learning curve,” Philbin said. “I think we all acknowledge that. He’s far ahead of where he was in the OTAs, but there’s still a lot of work to be done. He’s an athlete. He has good movement skill. He’s one that really needs to learn the concept of leverage, especially when you go inside. I think it becomes even more of a critical factor.”

Another spot where a new player got first-team snaps Sunday was the secondary where second-year player Jamar Taylor sometimes lined up at cornerback opposite Brent Grimes.

Philbin said after practice Sunday that the way the players are lining up now doesn’t necessarily mean that’s how things will be a month from now.

“I think we’re going to look at some different combinations,” Philbin said. “I think there’s going to be excellent competition. This is kind of step one. This is kind of a transition from OTAs with nothing, from shells, now to pads. There’s going to be excellent competition and I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s some changes.”

PRACTICE HIGHLIGHTS

Damian Williams and rookie sixth-round pick Matt Hazel both made acrobatic catches early in practice, while Rishard Matthews came oh-so-close to making a spectacular grab on a deep pass when he jumped in front of cornerback Brent Grimes at the last second and reached for the ball. The official ruled the ball hit the ground, though. ... Cornerback Will Davis had an impressive interception in one-on-one drills when he beat the receiver to the corner on the route and reached up to snag the ball. ... Defensive end Dion Jordan picked off a screen pass when he got great penetration from the right side. ... Rookie wide receiver Jarvis Landry continued to impress with his ability to get open and catch everything thrown his way. ... Linebacker Jason Trusnik had a nice interception when he stepped in front of rookie tight end Arthur Lynch.
http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/a...inations/7a95c814-0730-458e-8a64-f92590ba675e

Back
Top Bottom