Notre Dame FACT | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Notre Dame FACT

MikeO

Premium Member
Club Member
Reaction score
A little fact about Notre Dame that I heard today and I didn't believe but I just double checked and I was amazed by it.........

The past 2 years NOTRE DAME has only beaten 2 ranked teams...(1 last year, 1 this year)

That's it. Only 2 ranked teams. And if they beat USC and get some help they could be playing for it all this year. Everyone wants to bash Rutgers (and maybe with good reason) but how can ND play for it all this year with only 2 wins over ranked teams (assuming they beat USC being their 2nd win over a ranked team)??? Take them over an Arkansas/Florida or even a Michigan (who beat them this year in their house) if they lose tomorrow??

I dont think you can put Notre Dame ahead of Michigan even if Michigan loses.

BUT

They only have one loss this year so its not like ranked teams are beating them either, they just havent played a large enough sample of good teams to determine how good they are.

That's an interesting fact, but I still think ND would deserve to be in the Nat'l championship game if they are to beat USC and Florida slips up (that's the only way I see them making it). They've only lost one game this season -- to Michigan, who could be the best team in college football right now.

Having said that, if Florida are to win out, or if Arkansas can make a convincing run (say, winning the SEC), SOS would have to challenge ND in a cage match to the death.

I've found myself enjoying the Irish lately. I think I'm becoming a fan...even though I hate this pretty boy Clausen kid :(

If Michigan loses they will have only beaten 1 ranked team(ND). ND beats USC they would have beaten 2. Apart from SEC teams, no one plays more than a couple ranked teams in any given year anyway.

What makes NDs schedule year in and year out different from a Rutgers is that ND atleast puts teams on there schedule that in any given year could be good. (PSU, MSU, Purdue, UCLA, GT) They may not be power houses, but look at PSU last year, or UCLA last year. These teams could have just as easily been top 25 teams and ND had no way of knowing that they'd suck(minues GT) when they scheduled these games. Plus they always have UM and USC, so they are atleast challenged every year by top programs.

Compare that to playing Ohio, Howard, East Carolina, Marshall etc that some of the Big East teams play and it's just different. Howard will never be a power house, you schedule them because you know whenever you play them it should be a win. When you schedule PSU or UCLA you cant say that. That isnt to say that ND doesnt have some cupcakes on it's schedule, but they atleast put some big time schools on there also. Those schools just havent panned out the last couple years.

I have said however that ND doesnt deserve the title over a 1 loss UF team, and that'd probably get jumped by a 1 loss Arkansas team. I've said I'm not comfortable with ND going over a 1 loss UM team.

DonShula84 said:
If Michigan loses they will have only beaten 1 ranked team(ND). ND beats USC they would have beaten 2. Apart from SEC teams, no one plays more than a couple ranked teams in any given year anyway.

What makes NDs schedule year in and year out different from a Rutgers is that ND atleast puts teams on there schedule that in any given year could be good. (PSU, MSU, Purdue, UCLA, GT) They may not be power houses, but look at PSU last year, or UCLA last year. These teams could have just as easily been top 25 teams and ND had no way of knowing that they'd suck(minues GT) when they scheduled these games. Plus they always have UM and USC, so they are atleast challenged every year by top programs.

Compare that to playing Ohio, Howard, East Carolina, Marshall etc that some of the Big East teams play and it's just different. Howard will never be a power house, you schedul them because you know whenever you play them it should be a win. When you schedule PSU or UCLA you cant say that.

:yes: The Don makes good points here.

Back
Top Bottom