Now!!! Finish This Roster With Real Veteran Talent That Will Give Us Legitimate HOPE! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Now!!! Finish This Roster With Real Veteran Talent That Will Give Us Legitimate HOPE!

New Heights

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The Dolphins still do NOT!!, I repeat.....do NOT! have a blind side protector for Tua. I love Liam Eichenberg but as most of you know he will be an interior OL guy in the NFL.

For God's sake create some cap space and sign Eric Fisher to start at RT. Fisher was the 16th ranked LT last year and has graded higher in previous years. He is very good in both the run game and pass protection and he doesn't get penalties. He is a highly intelligent player who can easily adjust to our schemes and the position change to the right side.

And for crying out LOUD!! We are still thin on the edge, very thin IMO. Sign edge/OLB Justin Houston to a multi-year deal. He had 9 sacks last year....yes, he is 32 but he obviously hasn't lost it.

An incentive laden deal with a minuscule first year cap hit.

Give Ogbah an extension and drop his cap hit this year to nil.

Trade or cut Jakeem Grant and Allen Hurns. Give extensions to both Will Fuller and Benardrick Mckinney and drop their cap hits this year to nil.

Dolphins could easily create a ton of cap space to sign these players and a few more if need be.

Even with these additions you are proposing, you think we are ready to compete for a Conference Championship? I still think we are a year or two away, that's just me though. Just for kicks, how old are you? I'm 38 but your post/thread remind me of someone much younger and more amped to see this team make a run at it this year. This team will eventually get younger more viable options at position of need. I would encourage you to check Feverdream's roster breakdown, we have youth and ascending guys all over the roster, guys like Fischer(coming off injury) and Houston are 100% progress/development stoppers. It's clear we are all in on building this team through the draft with a few sprinkles of second tier role players from the free agent pool.

:bobdole:

The Dolphins still do NOT!!, I repeat.....do NOT! have a blind side protector for Tua. I love Liam Eichenberg but as most of you know he will be an interior OL guy in the NFL.

For God's sake create some cap space and sign Eric Fisher to start at RT. Fisher was the 16th ranked LT last year and has graded higher in previous years. He is very good in both the run game and pass protection and he doesn't get penalties. He is a highly intelligent player who can easily adjust to our schemes and the position change to the right side.

And for crying out LOUD!! We are still thin on the edge, very thin IMO. Sign edge/OLB Justin Houston to a multi-year deal. He had 9 sacks last year....yes, he is 32 but he obviously hasn't lost it.

Trade or cut Jakeem Grant and Allen Hurns. Give extensions to both Will Fuller and Benardrick Mckinney and drop their cap hits this year to nil.

Dolphins could easily create a ton of cap space to sign these players and a few more if need be.

1) I'm sure Liam will get a chance but you may be correct that his arm length requires him to move inside

2) Despite being the #1 pick in his draft and being stellar at LT in college, the year they started him at RT (because we'll they can play either side), he was hot garbage and one of the worst tackles in the league. granted it was his rookie year. Body mechanics are different. No point in paying an average player good money to come here and play out of position. we're better suited just leaving Hunt over there and kicking Liam inside if he cant play tackle

3) havent paid attention to Houston in ages other than knowing he gets sacks...zero clue how he is on the run, so not even gonna lie and pretend to. This front office just doesnt seem the type to go out and pay a 32 year old pass rusher 13-14 million a season tho. If he has multiple suitors like it seems, he's not going to sign miniscule deal. its prob going to be a nice deal with nice incentives.

4) All for giving Ogbah an extension. This might even be the best time to do it. Only problem is....Is his agent already telling the dolphins that he needs to be paid Justin Houston money. he's coming off his best 2 seasons, and if he would've gotten the snap counts his last year in KC that he did in Miami then he would've been a 10 sack guy in 2019. Hes not extending cheap today, we might as well give him a season to see if he's def worth that money. Also he's already gotten his roster bonus of almost 4 million of the year, so dont know if that can be taken away from current.

5a) correct Grant and Hurns need to be gone. nobody is trading for either. Cap savings for 2021 really want be that much unless we designate them post june 1, but thats pretty much just giving us dead cap next year.
5b) Fuller is on a prove it deal, . I think TJ McDonald was the only free agent on a prove it deal that we were dumb enough to extend before stepping on the field. McKinney is signed thru 2023 when he's 31 (you dont extend that), unless you are referencing another Benardrick McKinney on the team

Normally we dont reply to one message thread starters, but I'm tired of banging my head on desk at work, needed a break

Last edited:

One of the great first posts ever imo. I do agree that we aren't done building this team.

I don’t agree with your assessment of Eichenberg....he started at left tackle at Notre Dame and didn’t allow a sack in two years....I see him as a right tackle and maybe the replacement at left guard.

Don't know how long you've been lurking. You may already know I place no value in theoretical conversations and little on what anyone wants to happen. I try to focus on what Flo WILL do or what his thought process is. If you've been here a while you already know I'm not always right.
Given that, I see no likelihood Miami will trade for or sign a top talent at any position and I don't think their is much cap fat on the roster. Grant, IMO, is most likely to be cut, but he's fooled me for 3 years. Wilson is going nowhere UNTIL a legitimate replacement is found. VERY possible he's already on the roster, but no one knows Flo's evaluation. Fej is STILL a ST ace and every team pays those guys well. He's safe until a replacement is found. McCain is a starting safety primarily because he's a very good QB in the secondary. Some don't understand the value of that talent. Again, until a replacement is found, he stays. Most of the remaining players are rookies, 2nd year guys, or rookie/vet minimums. I think it's more likely X or Jones or both are restructured OR a trade of one of the vets. I just don't see where the "ton of cap space" could come from..

Yeah I'm still concerned about the OL. I'm excited to see what Eichenberg(sp?) can do, but that unit has been our achilles heel for so long now.

This is the only part of the team where I'll have to see it to believe it, if you will.

Is Fisher going to be effective next year? Achilles is a tough injury to recover from, and he suffered it late. A lot of the big OL guys take a full season to get back to form after lower body injuries (think Jack Conklin year 3 with the Titans, and hopefully Skura last season).

Welcome aboard :UP:

I think they are okay with the prospect of either Hunt or Eich at RT, with Davis providing swing depth. I dont think we see a big signing impacting that position, though Id not be upset about bringing in veterans for competition

Houston...maybe depending on price.

Extension for Ogbah is a good idea...would not be surprised to see it, if he's not looking to break the bank. He'd be smart to take a reasonable extension as the scheme and strong secondary is a plus for him.

Agreed on Grant and Hurns, but Id want to see Fuller and McKinney perform here before extending them

While I agree with the general observation that you need to mix in seasoned vets with all the young players I also think our FO has a plan in place and am willing to trust their judgement on player acquisitions
Could not say that in the past so we are moving in the right direction for sure.

Back
Top Bottom