Now that the Draft is in the Rearview Window | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Now that the Draft is in the Rearview Window

The Chiefs are still tops but watch out for SD, err LA.

We are not overtaking the Bills - no one in the AFC East is this year for this simple reason: they have a “veteran” QB who is playing at a high level. Everyone else has rookies or basically rookies (Tua). Not happening this year for us, the Jets or Pats. That said, we will contend for a WC spot as long as Tua makes a nice jump. We have a good roster. It’s not as solid as the Bills but it’s good.

But the Bills have the edge in QB play. It’s unrealistic to think Tua, Wilson or Mac N Cheese Jone are going to play at a level high enough this year to really challenge them. If the Bills had weaknesses in other areas the possibility would be open - but they do not. They have the best roster in the division. Barring an injury to Allen they win the division by 1-2 games.

Finally, Allen is not elite and I’m not worried about him dominating the division for the next 10 years. He’s just better than everyone else in the AFC East until they get enough reps and develop.

**** the Bills.

We are not overtaking the Bills - no one in the AFC East is this year for this simple reason: they have a “veteran” QB who is playing at a high level. Everyone else has rookies or basically rookies (Tua). Not happening this year for us, the Jets or Pats. That said, we will contend for a WC spot as long as Tua makes a nice jump. We have a good roster. It’s not as solid as the Bills but it’s good.

But the Bills have the edge in QB play. It’s unrealistic to think Tua, Wilson or Mac N Cheese Jone are going to play at a level high enough this year to really challenge them. If the Bills had weaknesses in other areas the possibility would be open - but they do not. They have the best roster in the division. Barring an injury to Allen they win the division by 1-2 games.
I am looking forward to a combination of Allen shatting the bed, and Tua dominating, to prove this forecast incorrect :)

That's when you really need the balance, the ability to run the ball. Has Miami done enough to improve there?

The addition of Eichenberg could help. Skura if he's more like 2019. Obviously, you'd expect all three rookie linemen to improve as well.
I have my doubts but I’m not a coach.

The Chiefs are still tops but watch out for SD, err LA.

Finally, Allen is not elite and I’m not worried about him dominating the division for the next 10 years. He’s just better than everyone else in the AFC East until they get enough reps and develop.

**** the Bills.
I agree with all of this.

With the overall quality in the AFC, though, Miami might have to split the series with Buffalo to get into the playoffs. That could happen.

I also don't see Allen as elite, but certainly can recognize his athletic ability and toughness. He got away with a lot of throws last year. So, hopefully that will even out a bit.

Reminder, just my opinion:

At this point, Miami is a talented team that is close to reaching the playoffs, but have a lot to prove.

On the other hand, after this draft, the Oline very well might be good to very good this year with just bringing in o e of the most efficient Tackles in the draft. The drafting of Waddle, and signing of Fuller puts severe speed into this offense...Please crowd the line at your own risk.

This will bring a domino effect for the running game, the speed at receiver will make defenses play too close to the line, with a better line, we may actually find though we did not draft a RB, we already may have a few good ones on the team.

Add to that with the draft of Phillips and Holland, a very good defense last year,may very well become special.

If Tua can do what he dies best, at seeing the field, making the right, and quick decision, while picking apart defenses with the occasional deep pass here and there.

Not only can Miami compete with teams like the Chiefs and Bills, but possibly play at a higher level.

Bring us Brady and the Bucs (Or whomever in the NFC) to feast on in February.

That it does... and I think I'm one of the more patient ones.

I was just responding to the original question about whether we've closed the gap, and my answer is probably not, and then I listed why I don't think that we have.

If I were to get more specific, I probably would have taken Patrick Jones or Ronnie Perkins rather than Hunter Long, or better yet... traded up for Joseph Ossai, but hey... now that we've got him, I hope the coaches were right... but it doesn't mean that I won't be following the three guys that I just listed, especially Perkins, since he went to the Pattys.
I hear you, but you gotta remember Flo (and Belichick) prioritize great DB over great passrushers when push comes to shove.

I hear you, but you gotta remember Flo (and Belichick) prioritize great DB over great passrushers when push comes to shove.
True... but Bellichick just drafted Perkins (after we drafted Long), so he does value pass rush, he just doesn't pay elite rate.

I don't think he is elite yet (may never be) but until proven otherwise, he is the best in the division.
Agreed. And that’s why they have a big leg up to win it again this year. All the other QBs are rookies and Cam Newton.

We got the best pass rusher in the draft! They are going to move him all over the place and wreak havoc on opposing offenses, just you wait and see. I can't wait for the first time he plants Allen into the ground...
I do not think most people realize how good a healthy Phillips is. The whole question is will he stay healthy? He is a complete pass rusher and could be as dominant as Chase Young or an injury nightmare. Tua with the weapons he has around him this yr should shine. If not Jacoby step on up. We try to get our qb next yr or with the team we have built get Watson. We still have the draft cap to make it happen . The best option is of course Tua becomes a top 10 qb .

Back
Top Bottom