Now that the Draft is in the Rearview Window | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Now that the Draft is in the Rearview Window

You don't have a couple of years to build in this league.most teams have talent windows.

A few core foundational pieces are the building blocks that survive. But every 3 - 5 years you shed groups of players that have propelled you to a new level; you hope.

Some of those foundational pieces can give you 5-7 years of consistency and presence on your team. They keep the momentum moving forward. QB, DE, OT or OG, CB, LB and maybe a WR or TE. Players that truly impact your team.

But in essence every team rebuilds every 3-4 years. Some for losing reasons a d some for winning reasons.

In today's NFL, the stark reality is you should know in 1 year if your team has truly improved due to FA and Draft. If not, you start into a talent deficit that eventually sends you to a rebuild at the core.

But remember this ... If you don't find your QB, you are spinning wheels until you do. You can't mold an offense or defensive scheme until you know what kind of QB you have. QB dictates everything... Even on D.

If we can't get a playoff victory this year, something is wrong with our design.

We can't let ourselves get into the "one more year" mindset. If it's built right, you should get into winning playoff football sooner and not later. Know when it is time to pull the plug.

If you lose coaches every year and players every year, what is propelling your team forward? Find those pieces, invest in them heavily and build from there. Constantly churning around them but keeping the core philosophy intact.

If Tua can't do it, the rest of the offense is pointless

I would actually put us in the top 3 of the AFC.

1. KC
2. BUF
3. MIA
4. CLE
5. BAL
6. TEN - may fall off bc Henry is getting a bit old for a RB

Teams i expect to fall off this year.....

IND - Wentz might make them worse
NE - might slightly improve from last year but not enough to make playoffs. But a fall from their traditional dominance
PIT - Big Ben is aging rapidly they need a rebuild honestly
LV - I think Vegas will be awful this season
HOU- they will prob be the worst team in football

Teams i expect stay about even from last year ....

Den -* unless they land Rodgers then they are a playoff team.
SD
CIN

Teams I expect to slightly improve ....

NYJ - really like their last 2 drafts they will be better than last year under Gase.... no where to go but up. Prob 4 wins.
JAX - also prob around 4 wins. They have talent on defense and Lawrence will do pretty well.

I think that's all the AFC.... im sure ill be corrected if I forgot someone
Good analysis.

Honestly, I did forget about Wentz in Indianapolis. Great chance for him to rebound, but agree that could be a downgrade.

I've been expecting Pittsburgh to fall off for about three years, but they keep winning. So, I really don't know there. I like the adds of Harris and Freiermuth.

I wonder how far Gruden will get in his contract. I didn't like their draft and I could see them as the last place team in their division.

Denver's in the discussion if they add Rodgers.

You don't have a couple of years to build in this league.most teams have talent windows.

A few core foundational pieces are the building blocks that survive. But every 3 - 5 years you shed groups of players that have propelled you to a new level; you hope.

Some of those foundational pieces can give you 5-7 years of consistency and presence on your team. They keep the momentum moving forward. QB, DE, OT or OG, CB, LB and maybe a WR or TE. Players that truly impact your team.

But in essence every team rebuilds every 3-4 years. Some for losing reasons a d some for winning reasons.

In today's NFL, the stark reality is you should know in 1 year if your team has truly improved due to FA and Draft. If not, you start into a talent deficit that eventually sends you to a rebuild at the core.

But remember this ... If you don't find your QB, you are spinning wheels until you do. You can't mold an offense or defensive scheme until you know what kind of QB you have. QB dictates everything... Even on D.

If we can't get a playoff victory this year, something is wrong with our design.

We can't let ourselves get into the "one more year" mindset. If it's built right, you should get into winning playoff football sooner and not later. Know when it is time to pull the plug.

If you lose coaches every year and players every year, what is propelling your team forward? Find those pieces, invest in them heavily and build from there. Constantly churning around them but keeping the core philosophy intact.

If Tua can't do it, the rest of the offense is pointless
This is a really great post.

The quarterback position has always been critical, but now more than ever with the rules changes favoring the offense.

With elite quarterbacks, they can go through games where the ball rarely hits the ground. They are almost undefendable.

Everyone needs talent around them to be sure, but Tua's emergence is no doubt the key to this season and beyond.

To go a step further, if Miami missed on Tua both Grier and Flores could be gone in a couple of years.

I hope that is not the case. I don't expect it to be.

It wasn't formidable BECAUSE it was so scheme-driven. In order to get sacks, we had to rush 5 and even 6 players. We had to run tons of cover zero which meant that every single receiver was in single coverage.

You are looking at this from a statistics standpoint, saying that the number of sacks equates to a equivalence in positive plays... and it just doesn't, because going cover zero and sending six is feast... or famine. It leads to a few more sacks, but a lot more completions as well, and this is one of the reasons we were way down the charts in yardage given up and average yards per play. Sadly, that's the flipside of using a scheme to generate sacks.

Formidable teams generate lots of pressure by sending only 3 or 4.

This isn't a narrative, this is football 101.
Football 101? Hmmmm.

Wouldn't that be points allowed? (Top 10)...ooops!

Oh yeah...better spin something else of how we had to gamble to get sacks and therefore that made the defense bad, even if it didn't lead to points! Dang...

That twisted logic might seem like, you know, a narrative.

But if you say it's not, I'll trust you on that. It's good! 😜

I would actually put us in the top 3 of the AFC.

1. KC
2. BUF
3. MIA
4. CLE
5. BAL
6. TEN - may fall off bc Henry is getting a bit old for a RB

Teams i expect to fall off this year.....

IND - Wentz might make them worse
NE - might slightly improve from last year but not enough to make playoffs. But a fall from their traditional dominance
PIT - Big Ben is aging rapidly they need a rebuild honestly
LV - I think Vegas will be awful this season
HOU- they will prob be the worst team in football

Teams i expect stay about even from last year ....

Den -* unless they land Rodgers then they are a playoff team.
SD
CIN

Teams I expect to slightly improve ....

NYJ - really like their last 2 drafts they will be better than last year under Gase.... no where to go but up. Prob 4 wins.
JAX - also prob around 4 wins. They have talent on defense and Lawrence will do pretty well.

I think that's all the AFC.... im sure ill be corrected if I forgot someone
I disagree. I think Cleveland and Baltimore are probably ahead of Miami right now and San Diego looks like a team that might make a huge leap. If Tua doesn’t end up progressing and end up being the QB that everyone hopes for, you could probably put a lot more teams ahead of Miami.

I disagree. I think Cleveland and Baltimore are probably ahead of Miami right now and San Diego looks like a team that might make a huge leap. If Tua doesn’t end up progressing and end up being the QB that everyone hopes for, you could probably put a lot more teams ahead of Miami.
I agree, if Tua isn't better, it's going to be tough sledding.

It truly is a zero sum league though. Ws=Ls

Everybody can't be better. Some teams have to regress. We can't be one of them.

I think the Fins are a 12-4 team with minimal injuries.
Buffalo is a 12 win team with minimal injuries.
We need to win our home games and sweep the Jets and Pats.
Once we play the Bills head to head, we will have a better idea how we stack up.
My .02

San Diego?

I think we go as far as TUA takes us. He has to lead. He had a few masterful drives last season. I remember a td pass to Hollins in the corner of the endzone where the cb never saw the ball. Thats the Tua we need.

Can Tua win in Buffalo? Or at NE? Until then they haven’t made up ground.
That's when you really need the balance, the ability to run the ball. Has Miami done enough to improve there?

The addition of Eichenberg could help. Skura if he's more like 2019. Obviously, you'd expect all three rookie linemen to improve as well.

Back
Top Bottom