Now the D looks like a top 10 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Now the D looks like a top 10

Lawson, Van Noy and Ogbah are good edge setting players. Something Miami lacked last season. On paper that aspect should improve. What's still missing is a big, burly DT, who's forte is stopping the run and plugging up the middle. Miami doesn't have that at the moment. I expect teams to try and exploit the middle of Miami's defense this year. The LB unit lacks true coverage LB's although I loved Van Ginkles, coverage in the flats. He's got instincts. The secondary is where I expect the most improvement, due to the young players who are in the system a 2nd year and the experience, should come an improvement. Signing Jones to pair with Howard was a genius move. Coverage should be elite. To assume top 10 defense is understandable but let's see what happens the season starts. High expectations are going to be the norm.

On paper looks like a nice foundation is being built but need to see a produce on the field. I expect a few more pieces and hopefully will be a force to be reckoned with

We have to remember where we were last year. Which was not very good. Those first few games were a train wreck, as the year went on coaching had an effect and we got better on D, but there were still very bad days at the office, late season, like allowing Cincy back into the game and almost losing it when we should have locked it down and the Giants game where we got mauled.

Going from that to a top 10 D is not realistic right away, however what I like most about the moves we've made is that they've obviously identified scheme fits and paid them what they needed to to get them through our doors. I expect the D to get progressively better during the season as the players adapt and I also expect the D to be 100 times better than the one we put out last year but I'm not expecting top 10 just yet.

I'll say this, we look to have the best pair of CB's in the league. Now our safety situation is not settled. I hope Rowe can duplicate last year, but he's a short term solution. I would like to see McCain move back to the slot. So, we probably need to draft 2 safeties over the next 2 years.

Our LB corps is poor. With the exception of Van Noy, everyone is long on potential and short on production. We can't be an elite defense until ALL of our LB's learn to stop the run, not just Van Noy and McMillan. That means a dramatic improvement from Baker would be needed, or Van Ginkel would need to improve and stay healthy, or Biegel would need to become more consistent. At the moment, none of those three guys has earned a starting spot, IMHO. None is Top 10 defense caliber production.

Our DL is subpar. Everyone loooooooooooooooves Godchaueux, but he simply isn't special. Only Wilkins is better than average up front. None of our current DE's has earned even a roster spot pass, including Taco Charlton. Lawson and Ogbah will start, but neither is the type of DE you expect from a Top 10 defense. We need more help at every level. We need better pass rushing options. But, aside from Chase Young, the pass rushers in this draft are a very weak group.

IMHO, use the strength of the draft. Get a QB, CB, WR, OL and BPA as much as possible. Get what talent you can this year, and reload with the rest you need in 2021, when we also have a ton of stockpiled draft picks. Don't force it. We need talent at every level offense and defense.
I agree. The offseason additions and Flores's coaching should move this defense up significantly. Maybe top half of the league.

But Miami needs a run stuffing DT, preferably a player who can also provide some pressure in the passing game.

At least the potential is there with Baker. Hopefully he can take his game to the next level.

The draft will mostly be offense, but there will be a few additions on defense as well.

This is a little pie in the sky. At best, they can have a run near the end of the season, and we can say, "over the last six weeks of the season, Miami had the 8th best offense," or something to that effect.

4/3 Lawson-Godchaux-Wilkins-Ogbah

Baker-McMillan-Van Noy

B.Jones-McCain-Rowe-Howard

-----------------------------------------------------------

3/4 Wilkins-Godchaux-Ogbah

Biegel/Roberts-Baker-McMillan-Van Noy

B.Jones-McCain-Rowe-Howard

--------------------------------------------------------------

3/3/5 Wilkins-Godchaux-Ogbah

Baker-Van Noy- Eguavoen

B.jones- Fejedelem-Rowe-Howard-McCain slot

Rotation and second teamers : Colbert-Wilks-Parker-Needham-Charlton-Harris-Roberts-Eguavoen-Biegel-Grugier-Van Ginkel-Willis-Webster. Note; If we add Simmons in the draft it automatically becomes a nasty D.

"Top 10" is too strong for me. They may get there, but it will take some surprises. Safety is a clear need and I'm not a McCain fan - even in the slot. Top 10 Ds don't need an elite pass rusher - just talent and scheme - nor do they need do-ti-all LBs. That said, I'd like another DT and LB. All in all, I'd say Miami ends the season with a mid range D, minimum

Depends on the draft and how much time is lost to the virus. I’d say if we crack the top 20 it would be a good jump.

By top 10 I'm going to assume we mean PPG. Last year we let up 494 total points, last in the league. Denver, who was 10th, let up 316. We would need to let up 178 few points to match that, over 11 PPG. That's not realistic based off the moves we've made.

In order to get out of the bottom 10 we would basically need to let up 100 fewer points than last year.

This team hasn't fielded a top 10 scoring defense since 2013. We're probably still a bottom 10 defense after all the moves we've made. Baby steps, we improved but not that much.

Total Defense or PPG?

We just spent a lot of money on Defense; some of you need to raise your expectations if anything under top ten is acceptable.

The "growing pains" year was last season.

They've at least pointed them in the right direction...
View attachment 42043

With FAs? You believe in this new version of Davie doing the exact same thing that led us to today's world to some how achieve a different result?

Right direction? That will be determined in week 17. We will see.

Total Defense or PPG?

We just spent a lot of money on Defense; some of you need to raise your expectations if anything under top ten is acceptable.

The "growing pains" year was last season.

You do not build a foundation off of FAs and one offseason with a new regime.

Not top 10. Improved, but not there yet. IMO, stopping the run is by committee. You have to have 2 players on the DL that can occupy a double team, and you have to have a LB(s) who have the instincts and the cojones to step up and fill the gap and make tackles. We didn't have that last year and maybe a lot longer than that. It's just like having lock down corners, you automatically improve the pass rush because of the improved coverage . (IMO) In other words, "it takes a village" to make things work and I think we will be improved. Solid, not spectacular free agnecy. Now let's see what happens in the draft, and how the pieces fit.

With FAs? You believe in this new version of Davie doing the exact same thing that led us to today's world to some how achieve a different result?

Right direction? That will be determined in week 17. We will see.
Last I checked they didn't overspend for any veteran free agents on the backside of their careers and lock them into long term cap crushing contracts with no exit strategy in place. They signed younger ascending players short term with the ability to cut them in a few years without negative cap consequences. They filled needs, built depth and opened the doors to ensure flexibility in the draft. I don't see it as doing the same thing we have done in the past, quite the opposite. Half of our signings most likely won't be on the roster in a few years but that's the plan, they will have been replaced with younger and less expensive draft selections. Did you really think we were gonna sit on that money we spent for FA's? That's what it's there for, buying time to build a roster through the draft. If we wait to fill the roster with only draft pics, we'll be waiting a long time as we're not going to hit on every one of them...

Last I checked they didn't overspend for any veteran free agents on the backside of their careers and lock them into long term cap crushing contracts with no exit strategy in place. They signed younger ascending players short term with the ability to cut them in a few years without negative cap consequences. They filled needs, built depth and opened the doors to ensure flexibility in the draft. I don't see it as doing the same thing we have done in the past, quite the opposite. Half of our signings most likely won't be on the roster in a few years but that's the plan, they will have been replaced with younger and less expensive draft selections. Did you really think we were gonna sit on that money we spent for FA's? That's what it's there for, buying time to build a roster through the draft. If we wait to fill the roster with only draft pics, we'll be waiting a long time as we're not going to hit on every one of them...
That's his MO blast the FO and team without seeing what's going on.

Back
Top Bottom