Now the D looks like a top 10

Sherif

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We need Rashad Jones to play like 2017 and 2018 Jones and would be great if Charlton developed into a premier pass rusher. We need to add a good free safety in the draft, we still have lots of needs and holes to fill but making the offense better will automatically improve this defense.

superphin

don't go clown shoes on us
Finheaven VIP
Reaction score
We need Rashad Jones to play like 2017 and 2018 Jones and would be great if Charlton developed into a premier pass rusher. We need to add a good free safety in the draft, we still have lots of needs and holes to fill but making the offense better will automatically improve this defense.
Reshad Jones is no longer a Dolphin.

Joe Dolfan

Starter
Reaction score
Reshad Jones was already cut a few days ago.

dlockz

Hall Of Famer
Reaction score
While I think we made some solid additions to the defense we didn't sign any blue-chip talent outside of Jones. Hopefully I'm wrong but I don't see enough stand out players on defense to turn this into a top 10 unit.
i think you are spot on but maybe the draft adds excitement to the defense

fansinceGWilson

Super Donator
Finheaven VIP
Reaction score
By top 10 I'm going to assume we mean PPG. Last year we let up 494 total points, last in the league. Denver, who was 10th, let up 316. We would need to let up 178 few points to match that, over 11 PPG. That's not realistic based off the moves we've made.

In order to get out of the bottom 10 we would basically need to let up 100 fewer points than last year.

This team hasn't fielded a top 10 scoring defense since 2013. We're probably still a bottom 10 defense after all the moves we've made. Baby steps, we improved but not that much.
I get your point, but follow my logic. First, I'm arbitrarily removing the 1st 4 games. The whole team was abysmal. Instead, I'm taking the last 12 and adjusting PPG to get to 16 games.

Doing that, Miami ranked 27th in PPG. If they can allow 4 fewer PPG (not unreasonable), that takes them up to 19th. Well within mid-tier and within 3 of exactly 'average.' This is with some 12th string players on D and everyone learning a new system. I agree, 'top 10' isn't impossible, but will take a lot of things going right. Getting to 'average' isn't unreasonable.

NY8123

Sophisticated Redneck
Administrator
Super Donator
Finheaven VIP
Reaction score
that's embarassing. Sounded like the typical reporter that knows nothing about the phins and writes garbage. So we took a cap hit of 8M and we only have 49M left?
Lol. well in all fairness there is a lot of **** going on in the country right now so don't beat yourself up too bad brother.

We took the cap hit but actually gained 5M in free money by cutting him.

moley6969

Rookie
Reaction score
i would have loved to have got a big NT in FA like pierce,robinson,reader [they took big money] even billings who was young and cheap ,
thats our bigget weakness imo [we may re sign john jenkins who played ok last year ,shelby harris would interest me on def line but not a big guy ]
am still hoping we can sign vonn bell at safety to really be a very good 2ndary on paper ,dislike mcCain at safety , nickel his ok

but we maybe looking at draft for NT = elliott,hamilton,jones,lawrence [some tolookat ]
safety ,davis,dugger,chinn,winfield i like alot

Lovethefish

Second String
Reaction score
Not there yet, but definitely headed there. Add Winnfield jr. with pick 26, then grab DT Raekwon Davis in the 3rd round.

5 - QB
18- OT
26- Winnfield jr.
39- Cushenberry
56- RB
70- Raekwon Davis

Also, I would get Tanner Muse in a later round. Muse was a playmaker for Clemson. He plays smart and fast, and has been a key for Clemson the last 3 years.
I’m on board with this - depends on board and which OT is there at 18.
I think Jones or Niang may drop to 26.
So if top 4 are gone and Jackson, Jones and Niang are on board at 18 - I may pivot from OT at 18 and move up from either stay at 26 or move up from 26 for the OT.

j-off-her-doll

Finheaven VIP
Reaction score
Ogbah and Lawson are excellent fits. Big, strong, fast DE's who are very sound in their responsibilities. They're going to push the pocket, set the edge, get their hands on passes, and they'll be excellent on stunts. That's really all the D asks of the position. Both are going into the primes of their careers.

Neither is super dynamic as a pass rusher, but I don't think the D needs that. For a D wants to spend its premium assets in the secondary and wants to play a lot of DB's and blitz a lot, Lawson and Ogbah are pretty much exactly what you want.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Top Bottom