Now the D looks like a top 10 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Now the D looks like a top 10

I like the idea of drafting 2 safeties in this years draft. Antoine Winfield Jr. and Jeremy Chinn in the second round would be a dream scenario for me. Antoine Winfield Sr. is known to be one of Flores' favourite DB's and Chinn apparently is a poor man's Isaiah Simmons (he tested about the same as Simmons at 17 lbs lighter) per Kyle Crabbs. I know it's not everything but their highlight tapes are really fun to watch.

Last I checked they didn't overspend for any veteran free agents on the backside of their careers and lock them into long term cap crushing contracts with no exit strategy in place. They signed younger ascending players short term with the ability to cut them in a few years without negative cap consequences. They filled needs, built depth and opened the doors to ensure flexibility in the draft. I don't see it as doing the same thing we have done in the past, quite the opposite. Half of our signings most likely won't be on the roster in a few years but that's the plan, they will have been replaced with younger and less expensive draft selections. Did you really think we were gonna sit on that money we spent for FA's? That's what it's there for, buying time to build a roster through the draft. If we wait to fill the roster with only draft pics, we'll be waiting a long time as we're not going to hit on every one of them...

I understood they would spend.

I just advocated a more draft centric and development process. Building a foundation and not renting players other teams moved on from. Yes they are younger than past years acquisitions.

But this thread original point was about enough talent to make this a TOP 10 defense. Some posters are saying expecting less is silly.

My point remains. You do not build a foundation through the FA process

What about "Snacks" Harrison? If we can get him for a decent price our line is STOUT.

Honestly, when Detroit gave up basically nothing to get him from the Giants a few years back my first thought was that we should have made said trade. Given his age now I’d love to see us offer him a 2 year deal with the guaranteed money up front.

I don’t think these moves make the Dolphins a top ten defense. More than likely they are still a defense which will finish in the bottom third in the NFL but at least they shouldn’t be the worst defense in the league again.

I’d agree that we probably won’t have a top 10 defense. However, if you look at our schedule it has gotten a heck of a lot easier since the season ended. Yes, we have the 49ers, Chiefs and Seahawks. However, we also have the Bengals, Chargers, Rams, Patriots, Jags, and Broncos who all have significant question marks on their rosters. It will be the first year in a while we don’t have some insane strength of schedule compared to our previous year’s standing.

Baker and McMillan will be included in the trade to Cincinnati for the #1 pick.:D

4/3 Lawson-Godchaux-Wilkins-Ogbah

Baker-McMillan-Van Noy

B.Jones-McCain-Rowe-Howard

-----------------------------------------------------------

3/4 Wilkins-Godchaux-Ogbah

Biegel/Roberts-Baker-McMillan-Van Noy

B.Jones-McCain-Rowe-Howard

--------------------------------------------------------------

3/3/5 Wilkins-Godchaux-Ogbah

Baker-Van Noy- Eguavoen

B.jones- Fejedelem-Rowe-Howard-McCain slot

Rotation and second teamers : Colbert-Wilks-Parker-Needham-Charlton-Harris-Roberts-Eguavoen-Biegel-Grugier-Van Ginkel-Willis-Webster. Note; If we add Simmons in the draft it automatically becomes a nasty D.
you think a lot of McCain, Id rather see Needham, and I think Equavoen is a cut

I understood they would spend.

I just advocated a more draft centric and development process. Building a foundation and not renting players other teams moved on from. Yes they are younger than past years acquisitions.

But this thread original point was about enough talent to make this a TOP 10 defense. Some posters are saying expecting less is silly.

My point remains. You do not build a foundation through the FA process
We agree on that and I believe they realize that. The majority of our FA signings are stop-gaps, nothing more than to field a team while we continue to build through the draft. Some of them will probably end up being around for a bit even if eventually as backups.
Byron was a little more than I would like to have seen them spend, but at least they paid for a solid guy in his prime that will instantly contribute and should be around for a while. He is bolstering a major weakness on this team. When X went down, we got torched, can't risk that again, Jones being here should help elevate our coverage defense. Our previous mistake was trying to build solely through FA and you are correct, that doesn't work, I don't see that as being the case here at all. I think ist's a combination of the two, young ascending free agents on reasonable contracts and smart draft selections.

We agree on that and I believe they realize that. The majority of our FA signings are stop-gaps, nothing more than to field a team while we continue to build through the draft. Some of them will probably end up being around for a bit even if eventually as backups.
Byron was a little more than I would like to have seen them spend, but at least they paid for a solid guy in his prime that will instantly contribute and should be around for a while. He is bolstering a major weakness on this team. When X went down, we got torched, can't risk that again, Jones being here should help elevate our coverage defense. Our previous mistake was trying to build solely through FA and you are correct, that doesn't work, I don't see that as being the case here at all. I think ist's a combination of the two, young ascending free agents on reasonable contracts and smart draft selections.
Jones certainly makes the Dolphins better. The combo of Jones and Howard should make it much harder for opposing QB's having a lot of success throwing the football. Rowe proved his worth at FS by shutting down opposing TE's. I'm confident the secondary will become the strongest unit on the team, barring any unforeseen problems with Howard. The contracts Miami agreed to with the F/A they've signed aren't cap killers. They gutted the roster to absorb a few big contracts moving forward. It was a very smart plan to jump start a rebuild years in the making. Once players around the league saw Flores wasn't a run of the mill rookie coach, it sold these kids to want to play in Miami. Now it's time to finish what they started. I can live with what they did at LB. The DL I think still needs a run stuffing DT.

I think we're off to a good start but I'm not calling them top 10. They haven't even played a down yet. I like the fact they got young players unlike other years when they were bringing in older players with injury histories. But I'll say the defense is better now(on paper) than it was before free agency started.

I think we're off to a good start but I'm not calling them top 10. They haven't even played a down yet. I like the fact they got young players unlike other years when they were bringing in older players with injury histories. But I'll say the defense is better now(on paper) than it was before free agency started.
I think Flores definitely has more to work with this year

Back
Top Bottom