Now the D looks like a top 10 | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Now the D looks like a top 10

Top 20 yes. Add in any of the draft picks like Simmons or Winfield then I think we are looking at top half of the league

We made huge additions but idk if you can say we jumped from worst to top 10 yet. We still don’t have a bonafide pass rush. Hopefully a combination of Van Noy, Lawson and Ogbah can get it done. A lot of promise but still have to see how that meshes. Baker and McMillan need to take the next step (I think they will). Playmaking safety is needed (Delpit, Winfield Jr, or Jeremy Chinn in RD2 could be options). And then we need more depth at Corner, Needham and Wiltz both had up and down moments ideally their CB 4 and 5 in more developmental roles. Maybe if we draft a top safety McCain goes back to nickel and kills 2 birds with 1 stone

Lawson is probably more of a 34 end than Ogbah. Not that Lawson is either ... maybe sieler in those looks

Also in the 335 I’m guessing Eguavon is kicked to the bench and I doubt feje whatever is here to start

Last edited:
Not liking our nickle and dime looks. We still need better players in the middle of the field,. And we don’t have a natural pass rush even with the FA signings. If we have a top 10 defense in 2020, it will be due to excellent coaching.

I wouldnt suggest its a top 10 defence just yet. it is improved, but still needs more work. We need a dominant safety, we need a bullish MLB and we need another DE that can produce 10-15 sacks per year.

Miami have certainly improved there defence, but there is more to do.

I think that the type of players that grier and flores hired are guys that can play in two positions comfortably, that causes problems for QBs identifying defensive plays, Van Noy can play edge rusher or OLB, Ogbah can play inside in passing plays opening the edge for another DE, a 3rd and long against a front 4 with Lawson-Wilkins-Ogbah-Van Noy can be a problem.

The defense is close.. make it a top 10 unit:
2 simple- possibly moves:
Sign DT: Shelby Harris
Draft a FS- Delpit, McKinney, Winfield or Davis

Now you’ve addressed 3 needs- both slid into major snaps. McCAin back to Slot
You have 4 CBs - 2 Elite
Your scheme will generate pass rush
Rowe- TE eraser
Needham provides flexibility to move around Jones.

Not there yet, but definitely headed there. Add Winnfield jr. with pick 26, then grab DT Raekwon Davis in the 3rd round.

5 - QB
18- OT
26- Winnfield jr.
39- Cushenberry
56- RB
70- Raekwon Davis

Also, I would get Tanner Muse in a later round. Muse was a playmaker for Clemson. He plays smart and fast, and has been a key for Clemson the last 3 years.

For the nay sayers, don't forget what 2 solid corners can do for a defensive line. I'll take the money ball approach with 11 guys that execute, as opposed to 3 all-pros and 8 scrubs.

We made huge additions but idk if you can say we jumped from worst to top 10 yet. We still don’t have a bonafide pass rush. Hopefully a combination of Van Noy, Lawson and Ogbah can get it done. A lot of promise but still have to see how that meshes. Baker and McMillan need to take the next step (I think they will). Playmaking safety is needed (Delpit, Winfield Jr, or Jeremy Chinn in RD2 could be options). And then we need more depth at Corner, Needham and Wiltz both had up and down moments ideally their CB 4 and 5 in more developmental roles. Maybe if we draft a top safety McCain goes back to nickel and kills 2 birds with 1 stone
McCain is a very good slot CB my guess is that he will return to do nickel work and we draft the best safety in the 2020 class with our 18th pick

McCain makes this a bottom 10 defense. Bottom 5 to be exact.

don´t get me wrong I put McCain as S because that is what we have right now but I seriously think he will return to do nickel and dime CB work, fejedelem could be a suprise and maybe we also draft a very good S in 2020. Rowe has excelled at safety .

I don't think "top 10" (which is ONLY a few notches above average) is out of the picture.
With all the new talent acquisition we'll definitely get to see what Flo can do more this year
than last. So yeah, no earth quake necessary for us to make that spec.

Back
Top Bottom