Now vs. June 1st | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Now vs. June 1st

Dansby and Burnett's release were tagged as "June 1st cuts". Which means their full salary cap hits both technically still count against the Dolphins cap at this time. On June 1st their contracts will be gone and the dead money will be split between the 2013 and 2014 cap. If they didn't designate them as "June 1st cuts" the entire dead money would go against the 2013 cap. Bascially what they did was surrender cap space right now in order to get more later. So if they currently have $15 million in cap space, that will increase to around $22-23 million on June 1st if they make no other moves.

Where did u hear they were june 1 cuts

Why would the Dolphins care? They'll get signed when they sign. It's not like there's a lot of leverage beyond the first round.

I don't know if they care or not. If it were me though, I'd care because signing free agents after June 1st is going to be cheaper. Take Ominyiora for example. Say the Dolphins and Lions are the teams that are interested in him. If they both upgrade that position in the draft, Osi has to play for a cheaper price tag. There aren't as many defensive end jobs available after teams pick players that fill their needs in the draft. If the Dolphins spend that money early in free agency, they have to save the June 1st money to spend on draft picks. That could be the difference between Osi signing with the Fins, who would have more money after June 1st, or going to the Lions, who have more money because they decided to wait it out instead of signing free agents early.

Back
Top Bottom