Now vs. June 1st | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Now vs. June 1st

finsfan4life

In Dawn We Trust!
Reaction score
Yesterday Ben Volin tweeted that we had about 15 million in cap space now, and will have an extra 7 million on June 1st. If we save about 6 million to sign draft picks, that means we have about 9 million to spend on free agents right now, if I'm not mistaken. This is something important to keep in mind when we post about the Fins needing to upgrade a position like cornerback. There are a lot of good cornerbacks out there, but maybe the Fins are waiting to sign one or two of them after they get the extra 7 million on June 1st. It's tough, but I think we need to be patient when it comes to us spending the money on certain positions. There will be players out there after the draft too.

If they have $15 million right now, they can actually spend it all right now. They don't need to save anything for draft picks, they will get the money on June 1st.

Rookies can participate in rookie mini camps without a contract. Tannehill participated in the May and June mini camps, but didn't sign until late July.

They can, but as the article states, teams are getting their players signed before mini-camps. If the Dolphins goal is to sign draft picks before June 1st, they'll save the money it takes to do so. We obviously don't know what the Dolphins strategy for signing draft picks is. My whole point is that, there will be quality players out there after the draft, and the Dolphins will have approximately 7 million dollars after June 1st to sign some of those players, if they wish to do so at that time. Let's be patient!

They need to save some for in season additions

The June 1st designation allows you to absorb a players cap hit from a terminated contract. This would apply to Dansby and Burnett this year.

They split their dead money over two seasons, but that cap relief won't be available until after June 1st.

And Nubs is right, you can have rookies in mini camps even though they don't have a deal signed.

The late round prospects tend to sign earlier and their cap figures wouldn't impact the salary cap anyways.

Nobody said he wasn't right. Yes, rookies can go to mini-camp without having a contract. The question is, do the Dolphins want them to? None of us knows that answer. There's a possibility that they may want to sign all of their rookies before mini-camp. If that's the case, they'll set that money aside. Only time will tell.

If they have $15 million right now, they can actually spend it all right now. They don't need to save anything for draft picks, they will get the money on June 1st.

Maybe Im misreading what do you mean by that.

Nobody said he wasn't right. Yes, rookies can go to mini-camp without having a contract. The question is, do the Dolphins want them to? None of us knows that answer. There's a possibility that they may want to sign all of their rookies before mini-camp. If that's the case, they'll set that money aside. Only time will tell.

I agree with you that some of the rookies tend to sign right away after the draft, especially guys in the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds. However none of those guys will really impact the salary cap. None of them will be one of the top 51 paid players on the team, therefore don't count against the cap. The 1st round picks, 2nd round picks, 3rd round picks and probably even 4th round picks won't be signing until July in all likelihood and they are the ones that will likely count against the cap.

Maybe Im misreading what do you mean by that.
Dansby and Burnett's release were tagged as "June 1st cuts". Which means their full salary cap hits both technically still count against the Dolphins cap at this time. On June 1st their contracts will be gone and the dead money will be split between the 2013 and 2014 cap. If they didn't designate them as "June 1st cuts" the entire dead money would go against the 2013 cap. Bascially what they did was surrender cap space right now in order to get more later. So if they currently have $15 million in cap space, that will increase to around $22-23 million on June 1st if they make no other moves.

I agree with you that some of the rookies tend to sign right away after the draft, especially guys in the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds. However none of those guys will really impact the salary cap. None of them will be one of the top 51 paid players on the team, therefore don't count against the cap. The 1st round picks, 2nd round picks, 3rd round picks and probably even 4th round picks won't be signing until July in all likelihood and they are the ones that will likely count against the cap.

I agree with you to an extent. This year though, being that we have a first, two seconds, and two thirds, I'd personally prefer to get the top picks signed early. The top picks will play a more integral part on our team, so the earlier we sign them, the better. As long as the Dolphins are spending the money though, I don't mind either way.

Why would the Dolphins care? They'll get signed when they sign. It's not like there's a lot of leverage beyond the first round.

Back
Top Bottom