Numbers Breakdown Of X's New Deal | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Numbers Breakdown Of X's New Deal

WCUPUNK

Club Member
Reaction score
1. Signing bonus: $7 million.
2. 2019 roster bonus: $7 million, fully guaranteed.
3. 2019 base salary: $1,285,641, fully guaranteed.
4. 2020 base salary: $11.9 million, fully guaranteed.
5. 2021 base salary: $12.075 million, guaranteed for injury at signing, and fully guaranteed as of the fifth day of the 2020 league year.
6. 2022 base salary: $12.375 million, $6.775 million of which is guaranteed for injury only.
7. 2023 base salary: $11.4 million.
8. 2024 base salary: $11.65 million.
9. Workout bonuses: $25,000 in 2020, $25,000 in 2021, $100,000 in 2022, $100,000 in 2023, and $100,000 in 2024.
10. Per-game roster bonuses: $31,250 per game from 2022 through 2024, for a maximum of $500,000 per year.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/11/inside-the-xavien-howard-deal/

Seems like a fair deal for all parties. If hes a top tier player at his position the Dolphins have themselves a bargain. If he falls apart physically or otherwise he'll still walk away with 30-40 mil in the bank. And Howard gets to say hes the highest paid corner for whatever that's worth.

Don't get the impression Tunsil is going to be nearly as easy and it will be interesting to see how they value the position.

Well @kd
Seems like a fair deal for all parties. If hes a top tier player at his position the Dolphins have themselves a bargain. If he falls apart physically or otherwise he'll still walk away with 30-40 mil in the bank. And Howard gets to say hes the highest paid corner for whatever that's worth.

Don't get the impression Tunsil is going to be nearly as easy and it will be interesting to see how they value the position.

Tunsil is going to get paid! While some may question if X is really a top 5 DB in the entire league I think few will deny Tunsil's talent.
If I were the Dolphins I would lock up Tunsil 1-2 years before his contract is up. You don't want to wait too long on that deal. The sooner you sign him the bigger the bargain.

That contract doesn't look bad at all for the team. Better than I thought. Very little dead money after next year.

Well @kd

Tunsil is going to get paid! While some may question if X is really a top 5 DB in the entire league I think few will deny Tunsil's talent.
If I were the Dolphins I would lock up Tunsil 1-2 years before his contract is up. You don't want to wait too long on that deal. The sooner you sign him the bigger the bargain.

yeah... except if you're locking him up 2 years early, you're also giving away two "cheaper" years and there goes your "bargain".

He's gonna get paid well no matter what, locking him up 2 years early would probably be actually more harmful than helpful. Just my opinion.

yeah... except if you're locking him up 2 years early, you're also giving away two "cheaper" years and there goes your "bargain".

He's gonna get paid well no matter what, locking him up 2 years early would probably be actually more harmful than helpful. Just my opinion.

That's a great point. Sounds like the sweet spot would be 1 year out from the end of his rookie contract.

Plus, God forbid he gets injured. Like Jake Long injured.

After that contract we have 62mill on cap space for next year plus whatever we can carry over from this year.......right now we have 26.5mill on cap space for this year and that includes all the draft picks except for Deiter so once he's in we should probably have about 23mill to carry over unless we get somebody else so......we're really looking at around 85mill on cap space for 2020

After that contract we have 62mill on cap space for next year plus whatever we can carry over from this year.......right now we have 26.5mill on cap space for this year and that includes all the draft picks except for Deiter so once he's in we should probably have about 23mill to carry over unless we get somebody else so......we're really looking at around 85mill on cap space for 2020
That's without any predicted cuts correct?

Decent numbers. $12mil/yr for one of the top corners in the league and chance for the team to cut ties after a few years if needed. Not too shabby FO. Not too shabby.

Nope much more team friendly

Team friendly is an under statement.

Having never negotiated an NFL player contract I could GUARANTEE X I could’ve gotten him quite a bit more if he let me negotiate on his behalf.

I am not sure I’ve ever been this thrilled with a contract doled out by this franchise.

Back
Top Bottom