Observation: Old School Football Is "semi" Back! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Observation: Old School Football Is "semi" Back!

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Leave it to the New England Patriots to be one step ahead of the curve. I must admit, I saw this coming in April when the Patriots took an offensive lineman and a running back in the first round.

Yep, an old school running game is a big part of why New England won the super bowl. Every team is scrambling to get faster and cover the passing game and the Patriots are suddenly running to success, adding another dimension to what they do.

The interesting thing about this super bowl is that Tom Brady wasn't very good for most of it. He did have two very amazing touch throws on the touchdown drive and a couple of others during the game. But this game wasn't about Brady. It was the running game, the defense and a couple of pass plays.

I always wonder about trends and I think we saw it right before our very eyes. No, I'm not thinking football is returning to the 1970's, but this super bowl had a very 1980's feel to it. I believe the 16 total points were the lowest ever.

What does that mean for Miami moving forward? Well, maybe with a new coach with a Patriots background the team will finally be on the right side of trends and innovations?

Doubtful, this board remembers Cory Dillon, the former Bengals running back who got tired of losing and signed a below-market contract to play for the Patriots. The Pats have always had power back this was the first time the back was featured instead of Bradys' right arm.

Nice to see in the playoffs the reemergence of the fullback.

The NFL is a copycat league and teams will always (over)react to successes and trends and eventually they will come full circle. I don't think the trend towards offensive coaches and 'the next Sean McVay' is over, and the lean towards offensive coaching and play will never be fully countered as the league wants explosive passing performances and will encourage it with various rule changes and implementations, but yeah it's entirely possible that there is a reaction to the Superbowl and as a result different styles are adopted.

The Patriots are willing to adapt to anything. That's all that it means. The younger spread type coaches are almost always stubborn and refuse to incorporate anything else. They have no idea what to do on short yardage and it can be hilarious.

Belichick isn't that stupid. That's why he's got I formation power football on demand when needed. Double tight end sets. An actual fullback. He realizes that wrinkles like that are more necessary now, with Brady not as capable play after play and game after game.

Football allows either method to succeed on occasion. That's one reason it is a fascinating sport. But always best to look at the totality and not the outlier. In this era you need to score points. Goff just happens to be a considerably more one dimensional and vulnerable quarterback than almost anybody who has ever led an offense to that many points over the course of a season.

Brady is now like a senior golfer who might play 2 or 3 good rounds, but not all 4. Then eventually the 3 disappears. I'm not bothered by the fact that he didn't consider the Dolphins game a loss. It was individual based. He knows darn well that he was about as good in that game as he can be right now. That first half was terrific for the first 20 minutes or so, including that rocket for a touchdown that might have been his best throw all season.

I loved the old school game that it was. 3-3 midway through the 4th, high tension was awesome. But consider the rules and what the NFL wants they get - more scoring. And every week the zebras help offenses stay on the field to ensure this.

In the SB they let them play - they let them be Hand-sy - both teams. That would have been PI on the play to Cooks where one arm was pinned down as he went for the ball in the EZ if that were regular season. I’m sure a bunch of those passes defensed by the Rams on 3rd down would have had PI or holding calls in the regular season. They let them play because they screwed up so royally w the NO debacle they were trying to keep a low profile.

And yes, Brady was not good yesterday. And he would look like that every week (as would Goff) if the zebras called games the same way. By the way that hit on Goff after he slowed down / gave himself up running OOB is a penalty 100% of the time in the regular season. To be honest, I preferred the way last nights game was officiated. I don’t care is it means more 13-3 scores. The product is better when you can play defense.

The question is... did Flores defense win the game?

Or was Goff that bad?

I’m still not sure?

I think the saints would have won this thing if not for the blown call!

Having a good OL and RB has never gone out of style. Spending a 1st round draft pick on a RB unless they are obviously special did and resigning one to a big contract also went out of style since they wear down.

Good RBs are being found in later rounds. Jacobs probably only RB going round 1 this year.

The Pats drafted 32nd and had their QB. OL and RB were areas of need. Guaranteed this draft is going to be heavy on DL in round 1.

I loved the old school game that it was. 3-3 midway through the 4th, high tension was awesome. But consider the rules and what the NFL wants they get - more scoring. And every week the zebras help offenses stay on the field to ensure this.

In the SB they let them play - they let them be Hand-sy - both teams. That would have been PI on the play to Cooks where one arm was pinned down as he went for the ball in the EZ if that were regular season. I’m sure a bunch of those passes defensed by the Rams on 3rd down would have had PI or holding calls in the regular season. They let them play because they screwed up so royally w the NO debacle they were trying to keep a low profile.

And yes, Brady was not good yesterday. And he would look like that every week (as would Goff) if the zebras called games the same way. By the way that hit on Goff after he slowed down / gave himself up running OOB is a penalty 100% of the time in the regular season. To be honest, I preferred the way last nights game was officiated. I don’t care is it means more 13-3 scores. The product is better when you can play defense.
Agree. I also liked that the officials let them play.

the minute we load up on DB's the league will trend back to running

The question is... did Flores defense win the game?

Or was Goff that bad?

I’m still not sure?

I think the saints would have won this thing if not for the blown call!
Brees would have found the EZ but wonder if the Saints D would have played as well as the Rams D. That may have been the best defensive performance by 2 teams in a SB at the same time. Only 1 RZ trip for each time. Wowza.

the minute we load up on DB's the league will trend back to running
We are always behind the curve it seems. Though I do think Gase was trying to build a KC-like fast break offense as he realized the trend of speed / chunk plays that has taken over the NFL. However, as we saw last night one of the slowest offensive teams in football won the SB so there you go.

You have to have the ability to switch it up as awsi stated. Gase didn't understand that, he was very pass happy and when his offense didn't work he basically blamed the players. Utilize the players you have to the best possible outcome. Change schemes to fit them. I think Flores loves versatility as he stated we will run a multiple defensive scheme. Keeps the opponent guessing and use your players in different ways hopefully to their strengths

It's still crazy how the Rams chose not to run in the game. I'm not sure what the heck was up with Gurly? But that's crazy to have that kind of RB and not feed him the ball in the SB.

1) Helping to keep Brady off the field
2) Helping to give your DL a breather.
3) Helping to wear down that Pats DL.
4) Opening up the passing game later on and PA

Even tho it was the lowest scoring SB in history, it was still a good game. Flores' D was impressive. I have to say that I'm cautiously optimistic about him as HC. Idk, he just looks like he means business and won't put up with any bs. I don't see him as a guy that will tank in '19 just to get a better draft pick in '20.

Back
Top Bottom