Oddsmakers Think Nick Foles Will Land In Miami Next Season | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Oddsmakers Think Nick Foles Will Land In Miami Next Season

nobody is 'tanking' you pick up foles.
What about Tannehill cap hit. Foles won't come cheap. The way his contract is worked out, he's set to make $20 million for simply being the back up in 2019.

So you are going to have to that much stronger than that to get him in the door...let's say $27 million. With Tannehill's cap hit, that's $40 million at one position.

I would hope we're more fiscally responsible than that....

Foles would definitely be an upgrade over our past and current QB situation and makes sense oddsmakers would peg Miami as the most likely landing spot given the draft order for teams in need of QBs. Giants, Jags, Redskins all likely to draft any QB (Haskins, Murray, Jones...) that does well in combine, pro day, etc...

The downside as a fan means I have to have faith that Grier can build a team by identifying talent picking in the middle of each round and/or get lucky with a Wilson or Prescott falling to Miami in a later round. Especially knowing Tua and Fromm will likely be the #1 and #2 picks in 2020 and Lawrence #1 in 2021 barring injuries, all three appearing to be franchise type QBs.

Me has little faith in that Grier will get this right (pessimism as a defense against disappointment) and yet I remain a fan and hold on to that faint hope this time will be different.

My money is on staying in Philly. If he really has some personal fire to him, and I am not sure he does, he goes and gets his money and ends his career somewhere else. A place with no state income tax makes sense. I would welcome him here because I have always been a fan, but I don’t think the price is right for where we are and what we need right now.

I do not understand the reasoning here, but +200 is still not anything close to a high probability.

It's not what I want us to do, but I could see it as a possibility, only because of his contract situation.

He has a 20 mil cap # next year, but after that, he is under contract for 2 years at next to nothing. No doubt that will be renegotiated, but it would be a short term rental regardless.
Only 1.8 Mill is guaranteed. For the Eagles it does not matter if they move him this year or next. $1.8 vs $1.2 is not much of a difference.
The 20 Mill he gets this year can be renegotiated by his new team.

What about Tannehill cap hit. Foles won't come cheap. The way his contract is worked out, he's set to make $20 million for simply being the back up in 2019.

So you are going to have to that much stronger than that to get him in the door...let's say $27 million. With Tannehill's cap hit, that's $40 million at one position.

I would hope we're more fiscally responsible than that....
You renegotiate and backload his contract. Guaranteed money early so it is easier if you have to move him in the latter years of the contract. It is not rocket science.

I know it won't go well over with the "tank crowd" but he would be a good fit for us and is above what we had at QB.

He is going to Opt OUT of the $20 mill 1 year deal.
He will likely get 4-5 year $100-130 mill
$50-$60 million guaranteed.
No thanks IMO.

But devils advocate- the kid plays damn well in big moments. If Alshon holds that ball- I was pretty confident they were taking that in for a score.
Also let’s not forget his 2013 year 27 TDS/ 2 Int.

He is going to Opt OUT of the $20 mill 1 year deal.
He will likely get 4-5 year $100-130 mill
$50-$60 million guaranteed.
No thanks IMO.

But devils advocate- the kid plays damn well in big moments. If Alshon holds that ball- I was pretty confident they were taking that in for a score.
Also let’s not forget his 2013 year 27 TDS/ 2 Int.
That's a deal I would grab. Frontload the guaranteed money.

If we had Foles last year we would have added 2 or 3 more wins easily. We had 8 games last year by QBs which were horrendous. Better QB and better play calling on O last year and we would have had a fair chance at the playoffs. Add better play calling on D and we'd been in the playoffs.

Phins4ever- it’s definitely an option to be considered. Bottom line is he won playoff games - by all accounts he’s a great lockerroom guy and competitor.
Cut RT17 June 1. Save some $$.
It’s tough call on Foles.
Will say this-
Foles - Paradis- Earl Thomas
Draft: Devin White/ 2nd Rd OL.
It’s on way to 10 win team.

Bet on that! Easy money. He’s going to the Giants.

Rather spend cap space locking up X and A Tunsil.

Get your young QB to go with the youth movement.

If you even added Foles to attempt to be competitive how are fixing all the other problems on this team? The lines etc I thought we wanted out of the 7-9 8-8 type seasons? Weren't those exactly the owners words?

Last edited:
He's not overcoming the 31st ranked defense we got. Not to mention the shotty oline play. He was in a good place. rather get a first round QB on a rookie contract that has higher upside. Rookie contract would allow us to build these lines up which is our main problem.

How do you plan on landing a top 5 2020 pick for a qb if you bring in foles this year?

He’s at least gonna get you to 5 and 11 if not more

This would be a mixed message.

I agree it’s not only a mixed message but a also a totally different course of action. I prefer a 2020 QB but there are certainly different avenues to building a team. You can make an argument on Foles. He’s an established 30 yr old QB.
For me - I have questions on Foles and want to build long term and really fill some holes. In my previous post above ultimately I say no to Foles.

I’m not building anything with Nick Foles.

Guy hasn’t been hit that much behind that o line but when he has been he’s been dinged up like every time. And that’s in like 5 games a year or less even.

IF we are trying to become a decade long year in year out contender that is not the route.

Back
Top Bottom