off-season report card. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

off-season report card.

Jlt82

Practice Squad
Reaction score
It's a little past mid-season and I was curious on your report cards for Chris Grier and company this latest off-season. Gives grades for individual players that management acquired and give Chris Grier and company and overall grade. Feel free to explain why for the grade and add any players that I might have missed. I didn't add the draft class as I believe it's still too early, but feel free to lol.

Byron Jones (5 year/82 mil, 57 Guaranteed

Kyle Van Noy (4 year/52 mil) 30 mil Guar)

Jordan Howard ( 2 year/9.75 mil,) 4.75 Gaur)

Emmanuel Ogbah (2 year/15 mil) 7.5 mil guar)

Matt Breida (5th round pick traded for)

Shaq Lawson (3 year/ 30 mil) 20 mil guar)

Erek Flowers (3 year/30 mil) 20 mil guar)

Ted Karas (1year/ 4mil)

Elandon Robers (1 year/2 mil)

Byron Jones (5 year/82 mil, 57 Guaranteed) - B+. Hard to give any signing and A when you are dishing out that kind of money, but he has been as good as advertised.

Kyle Van Noy (4 year/52 mil) 30 mil Guar) - C+. Not playing up to the contract, but a valuable contributor.

Jordan Howard ( 2 year/9.75 mil,) 4.75 Gaur) - F. No explanation needed.

Emmanuel Ogbah (2 year/15 mil) 7.5 mil guar) - A+. No explanation needed.

Matt Breida (5th round pick traded for) -C-. He hasnt been terrible, and a 5th round pick isnt exactly a pot of gold, but not a good return on the investment.

Shaq Lawson (3 year/ 30 mil) 20 mil guar) - B+. Perhaps a bit of an overpay when looking at his production, but a huge contributor to the success of our defense.

Erek Flowers (3 year/30 mil) 20 mil guar) - A. Been a little sloppy lately, but he is one of the biggest reasons our line went from awful to average.

Ted Karas (1year/ 4mil) - B. Not a lot of money, fair contract for his value, which is average.

Elandon Robers (1 year/2 mil) - B-. Its so little money I dont want to give it in the Cs, but hes been extremely inconsistent.

Overall: B+. Its hard to hit big in FA, but relatively speaking they did a great job this year.

Byron Jones (5 year/82 mil, 57 Guaranteed) - B+. Hard to give any signing and A when you are dishing out that kind of money, but he has been as good as advertised.

Kyle Van Noy (4 year/52 mil) 30 mil Guar) - C+. Not playing up to the contract, but a valuable contributor.

Matt Breida (5th round pick traded for) -C-. He hasnt been terrible, and a 5th round pick isnt exactly a pot of gold, but not a good return on the investment.

Shaq Lawson (3 year/ 30 mil) 20 mil guar) - B+. Perhaps a bit of an overpay when looking at his production, but a huge contributor to the success of our defense.

Erek Flowers (3 year/30 mil) 20 mil guar) - A. Been a little sloppy lately, but he is one of the biggest reasons our line went from awful to average.

Ted Karas (1year/ 4mil) - B. Not a lot of money, fair contract for his value, which is average.

Elandon Robers (1 year/2 mil) - B-. Its so little money I dont want to give it in the Cs, but hes been extremely inconsistent.

Overall: B+. Its hard to hit big in FA, but relatively speaking they did a great job this year.
Well done. I might push Jones up to an A- as our D is completely different w him in the lineup. He and Howard make it really difficult for offenses to do anything as the other 9 guys can be used in creative ways. The money is high but I won’t complain!

I think you were very kind with some of those.I think Lawson would be a C
Flowers would be a B at best.....nobody on that O-line deserves an A
Brandon would be a C

I pretty much agree with all the others.

Its just my opinion but I think the past off-season was one of the best in my memory bank...

We brought in some quality players and didn't break the bank on a position that isn't important. Yes we paid Byron Jones but if you want top corners you have to pay for them.

Byron Jones (5 year/82 mil, 57 Guaranteed A - Seasoned performer that enhances what we do on the back end.

Kyle Van Noy (4 year/52 mil) 30 mil Guar) A - Leader with knowledge of the D that flo wants to run.

Jordan Howard ( 2 year/9.75 mil,) 4.75 Gaur) - F - Failed experiment.

Emmanuel Ogbah (2 year/15 mil) 7.5 mil guar) - A - Turning into an impact player on the DL. Didnt like the signing to start with but love it now.

Matt Breida (5th round pick traded for) - D - Not getting enough out of the Run game and it seems we just dont put him on the field for more than 5 touches.

Shaq Lawson (3 year/ 30 mil) 20 mil guar) - B - Needed Position and a quality starter with the potential for improvement.

Erek Flowers (3 year/30 mil) 20 mil guar) - C- - In my opinion we need some vets on the OL and he hasn't been terrible but 20 mil guaranteed is to much.

Ted Karas (1year/ 4mil) ; B - A need and an Upgrade @ 4 mil I am cool with it.

Elandon Robers (1 year/2 mil) = C - Every time I want to dump on him he makes a splash play. Not a great player but he isn't completely useless.

Over all I thought the Free agent haul was a C to start the season but with wins and Ogbah's play has moved that to a B plus for me at the mid part of the Season. Only complete miss was Jordan Howard. Brieda has the speed and talent to turn it around if they give him the ball more.

Well done. I might push Jones up to an A- as our D is completely different w him in the lineup. He and Howard make it really difficult for offenses to do anything as the other 9 guys can be used in creative ways. The money is high but I won’t complain!
I think you were very kind with some of those.I think Lawson would be a C
Flowers would be a B at best.....nobody on that O-line deserves an A
Brandon would be a C

I pretty much agree with all the others.
In retrospect I agree, Jones has to be in the As regardless of the contract. He changes the whole defense.

Lawson and Flowers I might have been a little high on, but I think they both made a huge difference in the trenches for us at reasonable price tags. But yah, the trenches still aren’t great so it’s only saying so much.

Byron Jones (5 year/82 mil, 57 Guaranteed - C- - huge contract and we're not getting the Cowboys' version of Jones either, Arizona was an extremely ugly game fpr Jones

Kyle Van Noy (4 year/52 mil) 30 mil Guar) - C - solid contributions on the field, good not great play, has either been battling some injuries or he's beginning to lose a step

Jordan Howard ( 2 year/9.75 mil,) 4.75 Gaur) - D- - not a lof of production but not a big salary either, he did have 3 TDs

Emmanuel Ogbah (2 year/15 mil) 7.5 mil guar) - A - playmaker at a crucial spot, amazing contract for the team, too

Matt Breida (5th round pick traded for) - D - not getting a lot of opportunities, but doesn't show he deserves more either when he plays, missed some time hurt

Shaq Lawson (3 year/ 30 mil) 20 mil guar) - B - solid contributor all around, big TD vs. Arizona

Erek Flowers (3 year/30 mil) 20 mil guar) - B- - doesn't get noticed a lot which is usually good for a OL, the whole team struggles in run blocking though

Ted Karas (1year/ 4mil) - B+ - had the communication of the OL down in pass pro until Denver, very team friendly deal

Elandon Robers (1 year/2 mil) - C - by virtue of the salary alone, makes a few plays but also misses a ton

i realize that might seem harsh, but i'm not throwing around A's or B's for spot play.

Slam dunk. The best crop of Free Agents in team history.

When I see people quibble about the dollar amounts of these contracts, I am forced... again, to point out that the NFL has a minimum spending rule. Teams MUST, by rule, spend at least 89% of their cap. Here's the exact rules:

There are two cash requirements in the current CBA.

• The first is a league wide spending requirement of 95% of the NFL salary cap over two four year periods (2013-2016 and 2017-2020).
  • The second is that each team must spend to a minimum of at least 89% of the salary cap to make certain that the 95% number is not being met by a minority of teams.
We LITERALLY had to spend this money, Had to by rule. There is no rule about who you have to give it to, but if we hadn't given it to free Agents, we would have had to give it to our existing players (who weren't very good)... so the idea that we overpaid this or that player is mostly a non-starter. The fact that we structured most of these contracts as pay-as-you-go with relatively easy outs after two years proves that Grier has not really committed to ANY of these players besides Jones and Van Noy.

We spent the money we had to spend, and we spent it on a group of good players, rather than blowing it on one or two high-priced idiots. Le'Veon Bell anyone? Anyone?

Jones has allowed us to run lots of blitzes and cover zero. Ogbah has been a freaking steal. Van Noy has set the tempo of the entire defense and been the elder statesman. Flowers has filled a hole that has vexed us for a decade. Lawson has been very good, though over-shadowed by Ogbah. Karras, Roberts, Grugier-Hill... has provided average play for cheap and disposable contracts. Even the Howard signing was not catastrophic, because there are no cap implications past this year.
Brieda was a miss... but if (when) he signs elsewhere next year, he will be part of the compensation formula for extra draft picks.

This was just yeoman's work by Mr. Grier.

Last edited:
Let me expand on what you've done with this thread... namely, what's next?

First, I think you have to start with which players are already signed through next year. Yes, some of them can be easily cut or dealt away with very little cap consequences, but for the most part, these men are the core of our team.

QB: Tua
RBs: Gaskin, Ahmed (ERFA), Laird, Cox
WRs: Parker, Williams, Grant, Wilson, Hurns, Bowden, Perry, Callaway (RFA)
TEs: Gesicki, Smythe, Shaheen
OL: Davis, Flowers. Jackson, Hunt, Kindley, Deiter
Sp: Sanders, Ferguson

DT: Wilkins, Davis, Sieler, Strowbridge, Ledbetter
Edge: Ogbah, Van Noy, Lawson, Van Ginkle
LBs: Baker, Eguavoen (ERFA), Munson (ERFA)
CBs: Jones, Howard, Iggy, Needham (ERFA), Perry (ERFA)
S: McCain, Rowe, Jones, Fejedelem

All of the guys on this list can be brought back at no real added cost. (Yes, I know the RFAs and ERFAs are due smallish pay raises).
Most of them will make it to camp. Yes, we can quibble over guys like Hurns who probably won't, but in general... this is the guts of the team.

So... what's next?

QB: Obviously... we need at least one more QB. Will Fitz return, and if not... will we sign a vet or draft a mid-round guy? It'd be nice to find another lefty, but that's probably a pipe-dream.
RB: Cox? Laird? Both are easy cuts, but then again, they don't cost much. Laird plays on specials, so he'll probably stick... maybe. We'll bring it (at least) 2 new backs. One will, at least, be a 2nd day pick.
WRs: Geez, we have a lot of WRs under contract... and while I'm pretty sure that most of them will make it back to camp, I'm much less sure that any of these guys besides Parker and Williams make it out of camp. Hurns is dead where he stands, and Wilson is a good trade candidate. Grant will be targeted by Bowden and Perry, ultimately... I think all three might be fighting for one spot. We will take some minor cap damage when we drop some of these guys... but nothing we can't afford. Ultimately... I think we'll bring in 2 new WRs to compete, both through the draft.
TEs: This group is absolutely set... unless of course, we draft a guy in the first two days of the draft. No lower round guy is gonna stick on our roster any more than Myarick ever has. This is a very solid group, so unless Flores wants one of the top two TEs in the draft, I think he waits one more year before doing anything here.
OL: We need a Right Tackle. Period. Full stop. We might need a Center, depending on whether Karras is resigned (or alternately, we give Deiter the job). Other than this... we will likely bring in some UDFA types for the practice squad.
Sp: Obviously... we need to resign Haack or bring in a rookie.

So: my take on offseason acquisitions. We'll need (at minimum) 1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 Tackle, 1 Center, and a Punter. Obviously, filling out the practice squad will happen too, but this is not Grier's main job... filling the Sunday roster.

DT: One of the strengths of the team. 3 Excellent starters and a good project DE in Strowbridge. My guess... maybe a third day pick will be expended here. I'm not sure we even make an offer to Godchaux. I like him, but he isn't needed.
Edge: We can get by with these, but as they say, you can NEVER have too many pass rushers. My guess is that we'll draft one. Maybe early.
LBs: We got nuthin' here... nuthin'. Baker is signed for one more year, but he is so replaceable, and our mikes? Ick. We'll bring in 2 ILBs minimum... maybe three. Parsons is still a possibility and I've predicted that he'll slide a bit, but if we miss on Parsons, there are other very draftable ILBs.
CBs: Strongest area of the team. We'll bring in a guy on the third day... and maybe a cheap vet who plays special teams.
S: Flores likes these guys better than many of the Safety-pushers here on Finheaven. McCain, Rowe, and Jones are all signed and ready to return. Needham may eventually be moved into McCain's role as Flores seems to view his deep safety and his slot corners as interchangeable. My guess... a third day pick to replace Kavon Frasier, but that's about it.

So: 1 DT, 3 LBs, 1 Edge and 1 DB of some sort.

14 players total. Haack and Karras could be part of these 14, so I'll call it a dozen. This is doable. Hell... we'll have about 10 draft picks to spend plus whatever players that we pick up in free agency. Competing from the division title is a very real goal for next year given our nucleus.

Let me expand on what you've done with this thread... namely, what's next?

First, I think you have to start with which players are already signed through next year. Yes, some of them can be easily cut or dealt away with very little cap consequences, but for the most part, these men are the core of our team.

QB: Tua
RBs: Gaskin, Ahmed (ERFA), Laird, Cox
WRs: Parker, Williams, Grant, Wilson, Hurns, Bowden, Perry, Callaway (RFA)
TEs: Gesicki, Smythe, Shaheen
OL: Davis, Flowers. Jackson, Hunt, Kindley, Deiter
Sp: Sanders, Ferguson

DT: Wilkins, Davis, Sieler, Strowbridge, Ledbetter
Edge: Ogbah, Van Noy, Lawson, Van Ginkle
LBs: Baker, Eguavoen (ERFA), Munson (ERFA)
CBs: Jones, Howard, Iggy, Needham (ERFA), Perry (ERFA)
S: McCain, Rowe, Jones, Fejedelem

All of the guys on this list can be brought back at no real added cost. (Yes, I know the RFAs and ERFAs are due smallish pay raises).
Most of them will make it to camp. Yes, we can quibble over guys like Hurns who probably won't, but in general... this is the guts of the team.

So... what's next?

QB: Obviously... we need at least one more QB. Will Fitz return, and if not... will we sign a vet or draft a mid-round guy? It'd be nice to find another lefty, but that's probably a pipe-dream.
RB: Cox? Laird? Both are easy cuts, but then again, they don't cost much. Laird plays on specials, so he'll probably stick... maybe. We'll bring it (at least) 2 new backs. One will, at least, be a 2nd day pick.
WRs: Geez, we have a lot of WRs under contract... and while I'm pretty sure that most of them will make it back to camp, I'm much less sure that any of these guys besides Parker and Williams make it out of camp. Hurns is dead where he stands, and Wilson is a good trade candidate. Grant will be targeted by Bowden and Perry, ultimately... I think all three might be fighting for one spot. We will take some minor cap damage when we drop some of these guys... but nothing we can't afford. Ultimately... I think we'll bring in 2 new WRs to compete, both through the draft.
TEs: This group is absolutely set... unless of course, we draft a guy in the first two days of the draft. No lower round guy is gonna stick on our roster any more than Myarick ever has. This is a very solid group, so unless Flores wants one of the top two TEs in the draft, I think he waits one more year before doing anything here.
OL: We need a Right Tackle. Period. Full stop. We might need a Center, depending on whether Karras is resigned (or alternately, we give Deiter the job). Other than this... we will likely bring in some UDFA types for the practice squad.
Sp: Obviously... we need to resign Haack or bring in a rookie.

So: my take on offseason acquisitions. We'll need (at minimum) 1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 Tackle, 1 Center, and a Punter. Obviously, filling out the practice squad will happen too, but this is not Grier's main job... filling the Sunday roster.

DT: One of the strengths of the team. 3 Excellent starters and a good project DE in Strowbridge. My guess... maybe a third day pick will be expended here. I'm not sure we even make an offer to Godchaux. I like him, but he isn't needed.
Edge: We can get by with these, but as they say, you can NEVER have too many pass rushers. My guess is that we'll draft one. Maybe early.
LBs: We got nuthin' here... nuthin'. Baker is signed for one more year, but he is so replaceable, and our mikes? Ick. We'll bring in 2 ILBs minimum... maybe three. Parsons is still a possibility and I've predicted that he'll slide a bit, but if we miss on Parsons, there are other very draftable ILBs.
CBs: Strongest area of the team. We'll bring in a guy on the third day... and maybe a cheap vet who plays special teams.
S: Flores likes these guys better than many of the Safety-pushers here on Finheaven. McCain, Rowe, and Jones are all signed and ready to return. Needham may eventually be moved into McCain's role as Flores seems to view his deep safety and his slot corners as interchangeable. My guess... a third day pick to replace Kavon Frasier, but that's about it.

So: 1 DT, 3 LBs, 1 Edge and 1 DB of some sort.

14 players total. Haack and Karras could be part of these 14, so I'll call it a dozen. This is doable. Hell... we'll have about 10 draft picks to spend plus whatever players that we pick up in free agency. Competing from the division title is a very real goal for next year given our nucleus.
Great breakdown

Byron Jones (5 year/82 mil, 57 Guaranteed - C- - huge contract and we're not getting the Cowboys' version of Jones either, Arizona was an extremely ugly game fpr Jones

Kyle Van Noy (4 year/52 mil) 30 mil Guar) - C - solid contributions on the field, good not great play, has either been battling some injuries or he's beginning to lose a step

Jordan Howard ( 2 year/9.75 mil,) 4.75 Gaur) - D- - not a lof of production but not a big salary either, he did have 3 TDs

Emmanuel Ogbah (2 year/15 mil) 7.5 mil guar) - A - playmaker at a crucial spot, amazing contract for the team, too

Matt Breida (5th round pick traded for) - D - not getting a lot of opportunities, but doesn't show he deserves more either when he plays, missed some time hurt

Shaq Lawson (3 year/ 30 mil) 20 mil guar) - B - solid contributor all around, big TD vs. Arizona

Erek Flowers (3 year/30 mil) 20 mil guar) - B- - doesn't get noticed a lot which is usually good for a OL, the whole team struggles in run blocking though

Ted Karas (1year/ 4mil) - B+ - had the communication of the OL down in pass pro until Denver, very team friendly deal

Elandon Robers (1 year/2 mil) - C - by virtue of the salary alone, makes a few plays but also misses a ton

i realize that might seem harsh, but i'm not throwing around A's or B's for spot play.

these grades are good a little high on Shaq Lawson a little high on Ted karras.

id probably give van noy a c- losing a step is a good assessment and howard didn’t get much opportunity so I’d leave his grade out. We cut the only guy that we had for short yardage which I find real damn dumb frankly with no replacement

The only guys I would give a plus grade would be ogbah maybe flowers maybe karras. In terms of just their play. The 2 oline guys maybe flowers a b- maybe karras a c+

best money value ogbah and karras

Bredia huge miss considering it was the pick we got for drake that we used for Bredia. Rather have drake.........wait for it. Drake did not want to be here. No kidding . I wouldn’t either If you just gave the starting job to ballage then mark Walton. Look how that turned out. Ugh.

You're all very kind in my opinion. A CB with 2 career interceptions and has been beaten 1 on 1 too many times gets an $82M contract? D

Van Noy has been solid if unspectacular B-

Ogbah has been a steal A

Lawson has been Good B

Flowers and Karras have been Okay C+

Roberts is cheap and okay B-

The rest are fairly predictable in their grades..........

Back
Top Bottom