OFFENSE HAMMERS DEFENSE! practice stoped. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OFFENSE HAMMERS DEFENSE! practice stoped.

clayton83

Practice Squad
Reaction score
this from the sun sentinel:

Coach Dave Wannstedt stopped Thursday’s practice during a "red zone" (inside the opponents’ 20-yard line) passing drill and spoke to the team. The offense was hammering the defense at the time and after receiver Chris Chambers caught a touchdown pass in the back of the end zone middle linebacker Zach Thomas lashed out at no one in particular.

"I wasn’t upset," Wannstedt said. "I just thought that we were practicing, in the first half, like our minds were on the airplane [to Tennessee]. I said we cannot afford to waste a practice.........

Maybe dave, like the rest of us, is just not used to seeing our offense "hammer" anyone. it freaked him [and zach] out!

hopefully, this is a sign of great things to come.

I hate training camp... because there is no such thing as really good news.

If the offense does great... that means the defense is doing horrible. If the defense is getting continuous three and outs, that means our offense is sucking. Thats why everything has to be taken with a grain of salt, until the pre-season comes around. All we can really take from these practives right now, is which INDIVIDUAL performers stand out.

Because thats all it is really about right now. Trying to find out who the starters on the team will be. Once the second or third training camp comes around, thats when you will start to see a lot more strategizong as far as game plans go, and when you start to see the character fo the team.

I'm happy to see the offense blow some people- especially our defense- off the line for a change. Grooves is right, there is no such thing as good news in a training camp. I guess the only thing that could really be construed as totally good would be if both units played at such a high level that absolutely nothing happened; it would be sorta' like a football black hole. :lol:

DNY, I had to remove your post that you copied for tne Sentinel's insider report.

That subscription costs like 20 bucks, and it isn't fair to the subscribers, or the Sun Sentinel to simply post it here for all the world to read.

I don't want to have to keep hammering on this, but you guys need to keep the copyright laws in mind when posting other peoples material.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by grooves12
I hate training camp... because there is no such thing as really good news.

If the offense does great... that means the defense is doing horrible. If the defense is getting continuous three and outs, that means our offense is sucking. Thats why everything has to be taken with a grain of salt, until the pre-season comes around. All we can really take from these practives right now, is which INDIVIDUAL performers stand out.

Because thats all it is really about right now. Trying to find out who the starters on the team will be. Once the second or third training camp comes around, thats when you will start to see a lot more strategizong as far as game plans go, and when you start to see the character fo the team.

Not only that but our defense may not want to go at it full throttle against our offense.....They may not want to get hurt or hurt someone.....you made a good point.

I don't know if you can make a case for complete relativity....I mean I guess from our point of view you can because we dont actually see whats going on just hear the results, however if you actually watch the practices you can see the talent levels. Even if the offense is beating down on the defense if you watched it happening you could see perhaps that it was just because Jay Fiedler was making pinpoint throws under pressure, Chris Chambers and Oronde Gadsden were making circus catching the norm, and Ricky Williams was bowling for extra yardage. Not saying thats what happened but if you notice that the D was always in position to make a play and capitalize on a mistake, then you know its not your D thats bad its your O thats good. This is why in the end the XFL was boring...no matter how close the games were and how competitive the talent level just wasn't there. That said I think Dave pulled everyone aside because it was the defense that was getting lax, where they usually dominate they were probably taking the day off.

Back
Top Bottom