Offense More Productive with Backups??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offense More Productive with Backups???

BenchFiedler

Undrafted Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Call me crazy but this is a pattern I noticed in the dolphins scrimmage where Tannehill was 15 of 27 passes for 139 with two touchdowns and that was with Wallace and Hartline out. Same pattern for the 1st preseason game where he was 6 for 6 and a quick TD with Wallace and Hartline out. I'm not even sure if Clay was there during the scrimmage.

Is this a pure coincidence? Maybe our backup WR's are that good and can be starters in this league?

Call me crazy but this is a pattern I noticed in the dolphins scrimmage where Tannehill was 15 of 27 passes for 139 with two touchdowns and that was with Wallace and Hartline out. Same pattern for the 1st preseason game where he was 6 for 6 and a quick TD with Wallace and Hartline out. I'm not even sure if Clay was there during the scrimmage.

Is this a pure coincidence? Maybe our backup WR's are that good and can be starters in this league?

This is the best WR group we've had in years. When your top 5 guys are set and you feel comfortable putting in all 5 of those guys at any given moment, you've got some depth there.

Eh, I think they are just giving the veterans a break and want to see who has a knack for making plays on the bottom end of the roster. Plus all three of the top WR's are nursing injuries, Hartline and Gibson knee and Wallace his tweaked hamstring. I believe the real work (perfecting the offense with the 1's) will come after this week when fans and media are no longer allowed into TC.

More coincidence and the fact people are moved around this year. Another issue with our offense under Sherman was that the WRs were exclusively trained either outside or as slot guys. Now they're being cross trained.

Agree wide receiver is the deepest position on team.
Somebody is going to get a good WR when we cut down to 53..

Funny how a year or two ago we had *nobody*.

I think the lesson is, these things take time.

Brandon Gibson is better than he's given credit for, IMO, and Rishard Matthews seems to be making strides.

I anticipate a lot of 3-4 wide receiver sets from this team this season.

Brandon Gibson is better than he's given credit for, IMO, and Rishard Matthews seems to be making strides.

I anticipate a lot of 3-4 wide receiver sets from this team this season.

I think Gibson got a lot of hate because A)It was initially reported we were giving him a contract similar to Brian Hartline and B)A lot of people had their hearts set on Steadman Bailey or Quinton Patton. Then people were writing him off after the injury because we drafted Landry and Hazel. I honestly think some people forget how good Gibson was for us before the injury.

Several things to take into account here 1) Who is playing DB on the second string WRs? Is it the D's first string or the second string covering? 2) What is the offense working on? Are they pressing the ball down-filed or working on play action etc...3) What is the D working on? Is the D working on man coverage, zone, etc...4) Everything during pre-season has to be taken and weighed carefully, the coaches are also evaluating talent levels by forcing match-ups and that also plays into the equation.

So it is hard to just say Miami's second string appears to be better than our starters, it really might not be a fair comparison if all things were equal.

Matthews needs to see the field more and Gibson, if healthy, as well. I'm over hartline as a starter.

How can anyone say this when they haven't seen the offense with the 1 and 2 WRs yet? All you can say is that there is little to zero drop off when the starters are out but you have yet to see the starting offense under Lazor with those guys yet. You can't make that statement

Matthews needs to see the field more and Gibson, if healthy, as well. I'm over hartline as a starter.

Your over our most productive WR in a decade? Okkkkkk

I wasn't for paying the guy over 6 million per year, but if you can't see that he and our young franchise QB have a bond between them that no other WR on this team has, both on and off the field, then I can't help you.

Matthews, Gibson and Landry are very similar WR's . . . really good fits for the offense of Joe Philbin and Bill Lazor. Wallace and Hartline both have some dimensions to their game that allow them to be difference makers outside of the slot. Not saying the other 3 guys don't, but I think Wallace/Hartline is a very solid 1-2 and all hell breaks loose with the other 3 guys and Charles Clay on the field. It'll be fun to watch.

I know I am so over a WR who put up back to back 1,000 yard seasons and has the best chemistry with our Qb. Get him outta here.

Back
Top Bottom