Offense ranks 6th in preventing sacks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offense ranks 6th in preventing sacks

NYCphan

Stuck in Jetsville
Reaction score
While the debate about what's wrong with the offense continues, here's a statistic to ponder:

Miami has allowed 8 sacks in 6 games. That's sixth-best in the league, tied with KC.

Of course, there's more to pass protection than the number of sacks. Obviously a QB helps keep this number down, and a run-first team such as Miami will naturally take fewer sacks (the Fins are close to last in passes attempted). But I'm dubious of the claim that the O-line is the biggest problem with the passing game.

Here's the list at NFL.com

c'mon. that's such a misleading stat. people meeting ricky in the backfield is due to what? these guys aren't pass blocking or run blocking. you haven't seen jay avoid sacks with his feet or by ducking? you haven't seen jay throw a stupid pass under pressure? the sack number will go up if griese plays. i'm not going to sit here and say jay is playing well, because he's not, but i'm not going to sit here and say the blocking has been good, because it's not even close.

If Griese was back there, we would be bottom 5 in preventing sacks. Jay is mobile and has an ability to avoid sacks.

Keep in mind to back defenses off (8 men in the box) we need a QB who can throw downfield and atleast complete a couple which Griese will do no worse than Fiedler.

At this point if we can hit a couple and take 2 sacks in the process we will be better of - that is why some people would like to see Griese in there because of the unknown element that he brings which could give this offense a spark. It is not like Griese has never started and never won a game. He is a veteran. I know Fiedler has won more games but how many of them were wins because of him and how many losses did Denver really have because of Griese?

The key is 11th in rushing attempts and 30th in pass attempts. Combine that with a mobile QB who historically does not take sacks and those numbers are a little clearer.

But from the naked eye, you can see that our OL doesn't do a functional job. Below we see Jay 2.5 steps into his drop on 3rd and 12.

clear.gif

Originally posted by Muck
The key is 11th in rushing attempts and 30th in pass attempts. Combine that with a mobile QB who historically does not take sacks and those numbers are a little clearer.

Fair enough. I've combined it, and calculated sacks per pass attempt. Miami ranks ninth, with one sack per 20.9 pass attempts.

Tampa is first, allowing one sack per 57.8 attempts, followed by Indy at 51.3.

Of course you're right, the QB does have as much to do with preventing sacks (maybe more) than the O-line, as I said originally. A stat is what it is, just one indicator among many of what's going on. But I don't think it's fair to expect that anyone taking snaps from Miami's center will be instantly and repeatedly swarmed under.

Here are the top 16 teams, ranked by number of attempts for each sack taken:

Bucs......57.8
Colts.....51.3
Lions.....45.8
Packers...37.5
Jets......31.3
Chargers..23.4
Giants....23.1
Chiefs....22.9
Dolphins..20.9
Texans....20.8
Cards.....20.8
Saints....18.7
Niners....16.6
Cowboys...14.9
Panthers..13.2
Vikings...12.2

If you want to talk about misleading, I'd say finding a photo of one play where a defender comes through clean as somehow typical fits the definition. (Great play by JF to break free and at least attempt a pass downfield on that one, interception or not.)

No question, the O-line needs improving for any QB to succeed or Ricky to run as he did earlier. But I think the pass protection -- especially with the advantage of Ricky in play-action -- has been average, not dismal.

i think defenders are pushing the o-line back a lot. how many negative runs did ricky have? i think dixon has to get healthy and get in there, either to perform himself (hopefully he has something left) or to light a fire under someone else to get the job done. the whole offense is severely lacking, and i am with those who say "it all starts up front."

Who needs to ponder stats?

Is it not clear enough?

OurOFFENSEsucks!

Originally posted by NYCphan

If you want to talk about misleading, I'd say finding a photo of one play where a defender comes through clean as somehow typical fits the definition. (Great play by JF to break free and at least attempt a pass downfield on that one, interception or not.)

On the contrary, I think the photo demonstrates just how inept this line is right now. It's 3rd and 12 in overtime. Crucial down. The LB walks up directly into the center/guard gap and walks in untouched. Nails doubles with Smith on the DE. Ruddy doubles the DT. Absolute communication breakdown. I think it symbolizes a lot of what's wrong with this line. They make the wrong choices. They don't stick with their blocks in the run game. And they don't sustain blocks.

If there's a handful of plays where they have to get it right, this is one of them.

Back
Top Bottom