OFFENSIVE LINE IS OUR #1 WEAKNESS | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OFFENSIVE LINE IS OUR #1 WEAKNESS

Agree with everything except I think Fluker is better than you think. He can be a starter in this league and above average in Run and Pass pro. He NEVER gets beat off the snap like Austin, he at least slows them down and is very strong at the POA. He has gotten a lot better since the last time I studied him in his first few years. He has obviously gotten better. Go watch the A22 on him, I think you will feel better with him as a starter which then gives us two LTs which means Austin doesn't HAVE to be a starter. Then with the two OGs being serviceable we will just have to find a center.
Weird how much of what I've been saying gets turned around into an evaluation of these players.

Don't know much of Fluker and IMO the fact he is a Vet kind of gives an advantage. Still from little I've see a22 and highlights its kind of difficult to evaluate since much shown is highlights. Watch some of the season games he was in and see possibly adequate but definitely not what I'd expect from this FO as starter for a QB's blind side but again have little to judge by and making crap up I leave to the others.

My whole point of the post is concern over all the hurdles that have to be jumped that we should all obviously know but IMO jadded by Oh they are the Dolphins so they'll be fine from feelings and hopes, not actual evaluation of the player and the hill they must climb to be successful. Fluker IMO adds again that same uncertainty, he may be worth the minimum salary given him and just a experience vet backup.

I'm not saying that our 5 young inexperienced kids are going to be failures just that the odds at this stage a signiificantly more development and consistency is needed and seems more reasonable than them all coming in and knocking our socks off (so much depends on their success). Normally that takes time and IMO that is a reasonable request. It's not so much the talent though that also is still in question but more the timing of all these guys coming out now especially after seeing the progression from last season. Now if we accept going into the season as mediocre as a standard like last 20 years we'll do fine. But to compete on that high level with the big boys IMO we need to see a bit more progress and strength in that line, which I don't see or even attempted such as 1- 10th the imput for the defense, which we also needed to do. But come on, a little more intensity with the OL is also just as important and critical enough to do something of shown proven improvement and not the same old crap of the past years.

Here they come But But look at all we did in the draft with several draft picks, ..ya passed up several actual damn good OL. Sewell ( ok you wanted a playmaker) as if Sewell is not a huge part of there even being a play maker. Last year passed on Ruiz another level talent. Creed Humphry.... you following.
Sign FA middle of the road again Flowers Karras year before Kigore now Skura and Fluker.... Again maybe we hit a lucky spot and get a good one point is " maybe ".

Don't think many in here understand the real value of the OL so having a discussion is kind of futile especial when their factual resposes are I think They should They be fine all mental masturb*** and excuses. Be nice to see like yourself the understanding but it's a different world out there.

Funny the amount of pressure and criticism they comfortably lay on Tua (the best thing to happen for use in years, win or lose) and yet blind to the actual realistic semi flop that has serious potential of being our OL.

Pretty much every time I come in here it's, Tua this Tua that, did he wake up on the wrong side of bed, RB issues, do we need upgrade?, WR corp. of real play makers. Team better be improved over last year, Playoffs...." PLAYOFFS ??', Superbowl. Another defensive free agent ?

Wake up people.
Our biggest problem at this point that seems to go under the table but can possibly be the biggest weakness which if it doesn't turn around and successfully jump through a significant amount of hoops which again most are not even putting in discussions, We're Screwed again ! ( don't understand the lack of insight of this team for a legit OL for the last 20 years) were some beauties were there for the taking !!!!!!!!!!!

Its like people are expecting 3 of last years rookies who showed some ups and downs, to all take that significant step (all 3), New Rookie RT not even having a down in the NFL already there. Skura the Karras upgrade having old 2018 abilities or Dieter winning position, also never playing center (NFL)

H E L L O People. This could and IMO IS the #1 weakness of our 2021 Dolphins. AND if all the 1/2 doz.+ upgrades don't happen, the results realistically could be disasters. And the start of many again putting the blame on Tua....

Fans and public should be screaming at the top of their lungs to get the FO to make this upgrade and less dependent on so much improvement to appear by pretty much everyone on the OL.....

I know those truly aware of the realistic values a NFL team needs to be successful but for those who don't, it's not a long shot to tell you to be prepared for a shock.
Now it is true that all the essential improvements by all 5 OL can happen but truthfully no one including the FO should like the odds.

Yes Tua mention but this post is not about Tua so keep him out of it. It's about the Offensive line and will it be what we fantasize or reality is improving but still not much better than average this year.

Importance of OL lets ask possibly the best young QB, out there Mahones and how his OL weakness screwed his timing, play and success....
The modern NFL is all about adding play makers to help your team win. Adding Fuller, Waddle and Long helps Tua, but it also helps our young OL. Having Parker, Fuller, Waddle, and Gesicki on the field means defenses are going to have to rely on the 3 or 4 man rush to get pressure more often. That should hopefully give Tua an extra second or two to throw. The truth is that blocking is mostly a numbers game; if the defense doesn’t respect your passing/running game they can bring more players than you have blockers because it’s worth the risk. Are we going to field 5 pro bowlers on the OL next season? Probably not. However, the unit should be improved from 2020.

Agree. The OL WILL improve (overall). Even honest doubters won't deny that. The question is how much. Marginable? Some? A lot? In run only? Pass only? No one knows, but improvement will be there. My minimum goal for ANY OL is 'average.' with an average OL, top 3rd QB, some weapons and good coaching, any team should do well.
My criteria for the OL, TT, and RBs is NOTICEABLE improvement. At the end of OCt I want to be able to say I see noticeable improvement. No debate. While I think noticeable improvement is given, I'm uncertain if it will be noticeable, but it will take 'noticeable' to get to 'average.'
Well said. Another point, that doesn't necessarily equate to improvement, but can help the offensive line is having wide receivers who can separate and get open quickly.

Miami should have that with the additions of Waddle and Fuller.

Weird how much of what I've been saying gets turned around into an evaluation of these players.

Don't know much of Fluker and IMO the fact he is a Vet kind of gives an advantage. Still from little I've see a22 and highlights its kind of difficult to evaluate since much shown is highlights. Watch some of the season games he was in and see possibly adequate but definitely not what I'd expect from this FO as starter for a QB's blind side but again have little to judge by and making crap up I leave to the others.

My whole point of the post is concern over all the hurdles that have to be jumped that we should all obviously know but IMO jadded by Oh they are the Dolphins so they'll be fine from feelings and hopes, not actual evaluation of the player and the hill they must climb to be successful. Fluker IMO adds again that same uncertainty, he may be worth the minimum salary given him and just a experience vet backup.

I'm not saying that our 5 young inexperienced kids are going to be failures just that the odds at this stage a signiificantly more development and consistency is needed and seems more reasonable than them all coming in and knocking our socks off (so much depends on their success). Normally that takes time and IMO that is a reasonable request. It's not so much the talent though that also is still in question but more the timing of all these guys coming out now especially after seeing the progression from last season. Now if we accept going into the season as mediocre as a standard like last 20 years we'll do fine. But to compete on that high level with the big boys IMO we need to see a bit more progress and strength in that line, which I don't see or even attempted such as 1- 10th the imput for the defense, which we also needed to do. But come on, a little more intensity with the OL is also just as important and critical enough to do something of shown proven improvement and not the same old crap of the past years.

Here they come But But look at all we did in the draft with several draft picks, ..ya passed up several actual damn good OL. Sewell ( ok you wanted a playmaker) as if Sewell is not a huge part of there even being a play maker. Last year passed on Ruiz another level talent. Creed Humphry.... you following.
Sign FA middle of the road again Flowers Karras year before Kigore now Skura and Fluker.... Again maybe we hit a lucky spot and get a good one point is " maybe ".

Don't think many in here understand the real value of the OL so having a discussion is kind of futile especial when their factual resposes are I think They should They be fine all mental masturb*** and excuses. Be nice to see like yourself the understanding but it's a different world out there.

Funny the amount of pressure and criticism they comfortably lay on Tua (the best thing to happen for use in years, win or lose) and yet blind to the actual realistic semi flop that has serious potential of being our OL.
Have you considered, given the discussion, that you may just be on the "fringe", as far as what most ppl see?

I mean if 99% disagree, perhaps the1% need to reevaluate their position.

Jackson looked pretty decent for a rookie all things considered. How did Josh Jones look during his 55 snaps? I remember some being pretty upset we didn't take him at 18.

Of course we're banking on growth from a young offensive line, as we should be. I don't think anyone's expecting a top 5 unit or even top 10. However, if we improve to top 15-20 that's significant growth and points towards a possible top 10 unit in 2022 when our SB window should be wide open.

The front office has definitly recognized this issue and has reacted correctly in investing heavily in draft capital BUT the final answer is hiring the correct Oline coach. We had that coach under Shula who could take other teams castoffs lower round picks and create a decent oline. Bill Billicheat begged his old recently Oline coach to come back out of retirement after a disasterous season or so. So at this time this this is on Florres realizing that every oline pick in these past couple of years have been his guys, we traded up in the draft both this year and last year for 2 of our picks, Hunt went very high in the 2nd round last year along with our 2nd 1st rounder. Realize we have used 6 draft picks on 4 players that excludes the 3rd round pick we used on Dieter 2 years ago. So that's really 7 high round picks on 5 players. Florres wanted these guys imo now it's up to him to find their coach.

I think people only forget the OL leading up to the draft. When the season starts, they seem to remember, for some reason.

16-1........wow

That woul be quite the feat.

You do realize 16 regular season wins has only been accomplished once in history?

It somehow seems to be appropriate for the Dolphins - LOL

IMO the best OL is left to right: Eichenberg, Kindley, ??, Hunt, Fluker. That;s right Fluker. I have went back and watched Fluker in the A22 and he played much better than I was expecting. He is our best RT and that will allow us to play Eichenberg at his normal position. The center position has me terrified. We don't have a starter on the team. Skura was who I was watching on the A22 when I saw Fluker. Skura is not even as good as Karass and Karass was comically bad at times last year. I think our best option at center might be Cameron Tom, or someone not on the team.

We need to come to grips with the fact that Austin will never be a solid starter. Backup for short stints at best. If teams prepare for him he will be a turn stile. He was a bad pick and we need to prepare to move on. Let Eichenberg play LT where he didn't give up a sack vs very good college competition and let Fluker man the RT. Our OGs will be fine, and our OC will be a nightmare until we bring in some talent. Tua is not as fast as Jackson was last year to get away from Skura's mistakes. Tua will will have a DT in his lap every snap with Skura snapping the ball, well unless it's raining then Skura will be snapping the ball heaven knows where, but certainly no where near Tua.

I agree with the OP we have some real concerns up front. Especially at OC. Maybe Deiter takes a huge jump. Maybe they can move Robert Jones to OC and he can help, or maybe Cameron Tom can be the man, but Skura is gonna get Tua killed.'ve had to cobble together starter stiffs thru free agency to be competitive and try to use the draft to improve the long term prospect of the team,
It's awful early in that kids (AJ) career to pick that hill to die on. You don't know, nor does anybody else about what the kid can do with a full offseason, and not having the transplant issue. Skura may be different, but there's only so many draft choices VS the needs of this team. Remember 2 years ago when Flo came in we didn't have enough good starters to beat a championship college team, it was that bad. We had UPS drivers and grocery clerks starting in the secondary last year. We signed one year starters, taking chances on potential knowing that they were failures to the point that they were made available thru FA, that are gone now. Back on track, Jackson has a huge upside that the coaches felt was good enough to take the chance AFTER we got THE QB. I think most on the board here saw enough early on last year to think that this dog can hunt, given time to bloom. Drafting a center was no where near as important as adding speed outside and some form of regular pass rush. You can argue about the safety and I can point to the 2nd Barfalo game. Give the kid (AJ) a chance.

On purpose?

Reason is worth listening to. He caveats his PFF stats. He adds context to situations. He watches all22. He's played the game. He adds a lot of nuance to his takes. He's got a good knack for draft rankings.

Ck is the Pope, but Reason is a worthy Cardinal.

Reason just gets whiny about being right all the time...ya gibroni! 😆

Back
Top Bottom