OFFENSIVE LINE IS OUR #1 WEAKNESS | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OFFENSIVE LINE IS OUR #1 WEAKNESS

Once Upon a Time

There was a football team with a great OL proven by years of consistent success oh wait, I meant months of off and on success in which a preseason camp will create solid top of the line quality with quickly learned days of experience for our OL and all gelling together. Cheered by its fans believing it will all come together in year 2. I mean they expectTua to be the top of the top tiered QBs in year two so I just expect OL should be close though we all know the little significance in having that top notched OL. specially when you have such shinning play makers in the fold. Hey we're so solid we even go FA shopping for top teir low cost OL backups. RB's don't need no stinking dependable hole openers. QB needs no time to pass the ball to our rocket WR's who could be 5 even 10 yards down the field before Tua gets creamed. Oh wait Tua doesn't get creamed he's a 2 year boy wonder.

Injuries our backup OL could be better than our starters " what a team ".

Jackson probably stronger
Kindley will get better
great depth ...wonderful
Center could be wrong ...... ya think ?

No worries mate, we're SB bound...............Oh shoot theres the alarm clock it's time to wake up ...

IMO the best OL is left to right: Eichenberg, Kindley, ??, Hunt, Fluker. That;s right Fluker. I have went back and watched Fluker in the A22 and he played much better than I was expecting. He is our best RT and that will allow us to play Eichenberg at his normal position. The center position has me terrified. We don't have a starter on the team. Skura was who I was watching on the A22 when I saw Fluker. Skura is not even as good as Karass and Karass was comically bad at times last year. I think our best option at center might be Cameron Tom, or someone not on the team.

We need to come to grips with the fact that Austin will never be a solid starter. Backup for short stints at best. If teams prepare for him he will be a turn stile. He was a bad pick and we need to prepare to move on. Let Eichenberg play LT where he didn't give up a sack vs very good college competition and let Fluker man the RT. Our OGs will be fine, and our OC will be a nightmare until we bring in some talent. Tua is not as fast as Jackson was last year to get away from Skura's mistakes. Tua will will have a DT in his lap every snap with Skura snapping the ball, well unless it's raining then Skura will be snapping the ball heaven knows where, but certainly no where near Tua.

I agree with the OP we have some real concerns up front. Especially at OC. Maybe Deiter takes a huge jump. Maybe they can move Robert Jones to OC and he can help, or maybe Cameron Tom can be the man, but Skura is gonna get Tua killed.

Please don’t make me go on my weekly tirade about what facts are.

You have no idea what Austin Jackson is going to be with ANY degree of certainty.

None.

Regarding Skura, go back a little farther than the two bad weather games he had last year with a cut hand. It’s not like he was tragic.

Last edited:
I understand a certain amount of skepticism, but it seems some are expecting the worst possible scenario across the line, with every individual player.

Is it likely that every individual shows up playing like Pro Bowlers? No, but it also isn't likely there is massive failure, and breakdown at every position either.

Isn't it "most likely" that the three rookies are better, to one degree or another, for the experience, as well as a normal offseason program?

Funny that you predicted 10-7 for last year's final 16 game season. I'm just messing with you bro, I know it's confusing all these 7's lately.....

After having Mr. Fistpumpfor3 seeing 7's are mind boggling 😆🤣

I know you meant 10-6, so Bravo 👏 to you for nailing it last year. But...10-7 isn't going to get us in this year, 10-7 is the new 9-7.

I am glad some folks here know how to count - LOL

I presented my entire seasons prediction. I thought we would make the play-off's, but lose the first playoff game.

I think we will do MUCH better this year, anywhere from 12-5 to 16-1depending on how quickly the team starts winning. Once we are in the playoffs I'll predict how far we will go in those games.

This is going to be a great year for the Dolphins!

" feel your post went "slightly" overboard by calling it our number one weakness in 2021. We do not know how good or bad this OL will be, yet! "

Yet you say " I expect it will be good, in that the running game will improve, largely because of the new OL play. I also anticipate that the passing game will be dazzling due to our receivers speed, and to an extent OL play." So sayin this from saying we don't know doesn't make sense.

A lot of pre judgement depending on the OL play. But why no explanation of why this OL will be improved ENOUGH. What support or actual facts have you to present besides I expect ? Do you have any concrete reasoning for backing that statement. Did you see some level of consistency or insight as to how you know they are going to improve substantial enough to be NFL above average... Love to hear it haven't so far from anyone just hopes. Love to feel secure about the whole OL because then we'd be a terrifing force for the league to reckon with.

Man ! the future of this season may just be resting on that OL significant leap on a consistent basis to have that successful RB and ability to take advantage of our rocket speading the field Wr's. And as far as the whole team that scares me the most....

True. I did use "yet" as a qualifier.

By the same logic there is no way we can now say the OL is our weakest link. It may have been last year, but then we still had a winning season.

I am glad some folks here know how to count - LOL

I presented my entire seasons prediction. I thought we would make the play-off's, but lose the first playoff game.

I think we will do MUCH better this year, anywhere from 12-5 to 16-1depending on how quickly the team starts winning. Once we are in the playoffs I'll predict how far we will go in those games.

This is going to be a great year for the Dolphins!
16-1........wow

That woul be quite the feat.

You do realize 16 regular season wins has only been accomplished once in history?

I understand a certain amount of skepticism, but it seems some are expecting the worst possible scenario across the line, with every individual player.

Is it likely that every individual shows up playing like Pro Bowlers? No, but it also isn't likely there is massive failure, and breakdown at every position either.

Isn't it "most likely" that the three rookies are better, to one degree or another, for the experience, as well as a normal offseason program?
Everyone else has to be at fault in some way or another in order to provide the reason Tua doesn't succeed...if he indeed doesn't succeed. It was the WR's and now It's the o-line's turn on the rotisserie.

Everyone else has to be at fault in some way or another in order to provide the reason Tua doesn't succeed...if he indeed doesn't succeed. It was the WR's and now It's the o-line's turn on the rotisserie.
I don't think "most" fans here are that cynical or irrational, though there are a few who seem to drown out common sense at times.

Yes, the offensive line is extremely important. The team realizes this

we’ve selected a LT in the 1st round, a T/G in the 2nd, a guard in the 4th. Another OT in the 2nd round this year. Been trying for center upgrades

clearly we know it’s an issue and they are looking to get better there. What else would you have them do? Drafted Sewell over waddle maybe? God not that again

these are young players that need time to develop. If you just keep switching out the pieces, no consistency is ever going to happen. Give them time
I can tell you that plenty of Bills fans were a little concerned that the Dolphins might have gotten Sewell. Yes, Waddle is going to be great. But, he will be a wasted talent if Tua has to turn into Captain Checkdown.

They looked slow footed, especially towards the end of the season, when at times it looked like a jailbreak. Jackson played admirably, but, towards the end of the season; he was giving up way too many pressures. Kindley while he showed his power and girth by throwing players around early, looked exhausted by seasons end. So I concer, the line could become a worrisome unit, if they don't step it up.
The play of the offensive line is probably the biggest factor in whether or not Miami makes the postseason this year.

I think it's realistic and expected that the rookies from last year will improve. But how much? Significant improvements and this unit could be league average, or maybe even a tad better.

Smaller improvements and maybe the offensive line is in the 18-22 range.

I'm not sure what to expect at center, whether Skura is an upgrade over Karras and if Detmer can wrestle the starting job there.

Eichenberg could be a nice answer at RT. Lots to like on the line, but it's a young group.

The play of the offensive line is probably the biggest factor in whether or not Miami makes the postseason this year.

I think it's realistic and expected that the rookies from last year will improve. But how much? Significant improvements and this unit could be league average, or maybe even a tad better.

I'm not sure what to expect at center, whether Skura is an upgrade over Karras and if Detmer can wrestle the starting job there.

Eichenberg could be a nice answer at RT. Lots to like on the line, but it's a young group.
Honestly, I think its far more important how the play "together" and function collectively as a unit, than as individuals.

Please don’t make me go on my weekly tirade about what facts are.

You have no idea what Austin Jackson is going to be with ANY degree of certainty.

None.

Regarding Skura, go back a little farther than the two bad weather games he had last year with a cut hand. It’s not like he was tragic.
There is a 5 part A22 series on youtube even, that shows how Skura played last year. I was really excited about the signing until I watch his tape. Maybe he can improve from how played last year, maybe he was hurt or something but he was bad all of last year. He was good in 2018 but I don't know what happened since then, but he isn't the same player. And it certainly wasn't just the weather games, they were where he had problems with the snap but he was being thrown around and shoved back in the QBs face on his best plays. His base is just non- existent compared to the player we saw in 18. He looks and plays weak, plays too high with no leverage. Hope I'm wrong because we need someone to step up at OC. That is the spot I am most worried about. We have options at all the other spots but not at OC.

trust me, I am one of the biggest advocate of OL play, frustrating what Ryan had to play behind and I am always looking to improve it.

My point was people make it seem like these two picks were huge reaches and picked way before they should have been, I don’t beleive that is true. Lets keep in mind also, some of the higher ‘rated’ OL didn’t work out either so far.
To make your point: I think Wirfs is the only 1st Rnd tackle that actually did fare well in 2020.
Plug&Play rookie LTs are the exception, not the norm, even if drafted 1st Round.

Honestly, I think its far more important how the play "together" and function collectively as a unit, than as individuals.
True and that should improve year two as well. I'm hoping that Jackson can make a significant jump. He was coming off the bone marrow surgery, which may have been a factor in not finishing strong.

But, you are right. It's always more about the cohesiveness than individuals on the offensive line.

Agree. The OL WILL improve (overall). Even honest doubters won't deny that. The question is how much. Marginable? Some? A lot? In run only? Pass only? No one knows, but improvement will be there. My minimum goal for ANY OL is 'average.' with an average OL, top 3rd QB, some weapons and good coaching, any team should do well.
My criteria for the OL, TT, and RBs is NOTICEABLE improvement. At the end of OCt I want to be able to say I see noticeable improvement. No debate. While I think noticeable improvement is given, I'm uncertain if it will be noticeable, but it will take 'noticeable' to get to 'average.'

Back
Top Bottom