Offensive line Play | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offensive line Play

Honeybadger08

Active Roster
Reaction score
Has anyone watched this tape of Tua’s rookie season? It’s a film breakdown by this guy, Douglie DoWrong, on YouTube?

I’ve watched most of it and I can’t for the life of me figure out why so many fans on this site are pounding the table for weapons for Tua in the first round?

After watching the game film, from a number of last seasons games, what I see is a offensive line that is absolutely deplorable in pass protection.

I really don’t see how skill players are going to be any better than what we have if Tua’s pocket breaks down almost every time?

The line is absolutely terrible identifying stunts on plays in this film session.

The whole interior line needs replaced and from what I saw the tackles were not much better.

I know there was no OTA’s but I’m sure they went over game film as a unit during the season. That unit to me is not very good, especially Flowers and Jesse Davis from what I saw. kindley seems to be a road grader and not a very good pass blocker.

I personally think this line needs fixed before you start adding skill positions to this offense.

That is a fair point. I am one of those calling for us to forego drafting Sewell and add a high-level WR or TE (Pitts) instead. My reasoning is this, Tua has a quick release and decent pocket awareness. I think we need players who can separate quickly at the line of scrimmage, so he has somewhere to go with the ball. Smith and one of the better RB prospects like Harris or Williams, who have good hands and can catch the ball, should help Tua. I do want to add someone to the mix at OL. I just don't want to do it with pick #3. A trade back a few spots to get us some more picks, and then BPA between Smith, Chase, or Waddle would probably do it for me.

Last edited:
Has anyone watched this tape of Tua’s rookie season? It’s a film breakdown by this guy, Douglie DoWrong, on YouTube?

I’ve watched most of it and I can’t for the life of me figure out why so many fans on this site are pounding the table for weapons for Tua in the first round?

After watching the game film, from a number of last seasons games, what I see is a offensive line that is absolutely deplorable in pass protection.

I really don’t see how skill players are going to be any better than what we have if Tua’s pocket breaks down almost every time?

The line is absolutely terrible identifying stunts on plays in this film session.

The whole interior line needs replaced and from what I saw the tackles were not much better.

I know there was no OTA’s but I’m sure they went over game film as a unit during the season. That unit to me is not very good, especially Flowers and Jesse Davis from what I saw. kindley seems to be a road grader and not a very good pass blocker.

I personally think this line needs fixed before you start adding skill positions to this offense.
First of all Douglie DoWrong is a funny guy and a true fan. I like him. But he's not really a strong analyst.

Second, one of Tua's strengths is supposed to be his mobility, which translates into him being able to generate passing offense with sub-optimal OL protection. So when you look at the far worse OL that QB's like Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, Russell Wilson, and Deshaun Watson had; it's tough to claim that Tua's mobility is a strength if he cannot produce with this OL. That being said, average may be a bit of a high point in Miami, but it's still not good enough, and we need to continue investing in our OL. Draft a RT and a C and help the young guys grow.

Third, our OL was drafted for specific purposes. Austin Jackson was drafted to be an elite pass protector at LT, and before his injury, he looked well on his way to proving that. Hunt and Kindley were drafted to be run blockers, and both excelled in that role. There were always questions about Hunt's pass protection, and for a rookie, he did pretty well ... but he needs to continue improving to be a success. While those two guys were premier draft picks (Jackson a 1st rounder and Hunt a 2nd rounder), by contrast Solomon Kindley was a 4th rounder, and you're simply not going to find many elite OL in the 4th round. He is a power pig role player, so don't expect him to be a pulling guard or a dominant pass protector ... that's not who he is nor why he was drafted. Kindley performed very well until his injury. So, all in all, this OL is a work in progress, and before we villainize the best OL we've had in years, we ought to acknowledge that they were NFL average, which is a big step up for Miami, and that they are new and young, so its going to take time for them to gel.

Fourth, Tua himself was a rookie, rehabbing a major hip injury that robbed him of velocity because he couldn't fully torque his hips, and had a pandemic-shortened offseason without any preseason games. Let's give the kid some time to adjust. At Alabama, his team was dominant at almost every position vs. almost every team they played. In the NFL, your teammates are worse than the opposition 50% of the time .. so the margin of error is razor thin compared to the acres of space at Alabama. It's too early to judge Tua yet ... so let's just mark where he is at and keep seeing if he continues to improve.

Fifth, QB's benefit from building an offense around them, and most of us think that's the best thing to do for Tua. Pairing a young QB with a young WR or two, like Shula did by adding Dan Marino to his young cadre of WR's Mark Duper and Mark Clayton, helps build chemistry quickly over the first few years. It has potential to pay off tremendously. I think adding 1 elite WR to pair with Tua would be a great way to build this offense for the future. Reasonable minds may differ on what is the best way forward.

We definitely need to solidify the oline And Sewell Or a great free agent would certainly help. That being said we need both as a number one needs some play makers to take this offense to a new level

Does anyone know how strong tis draft is in terms of Tackles?

I wouldn't say Tua's biggest strength is his mobility. He's mobile, but he's not elite in that regard. IMO his biggest strengths are getting the ball out quickly and accurately. His release is elite. It's up there with Marino in that regard. He's also one of if not the, most consistently accurate QB in CFB history. Those are the clearly his biggest strengths.

Miami's top skill targets, Parker and Gesicki were both among the worst in the league at getting separation. If you look at the film on many of Tua's sacks, he was ready to get the ball out even when the OL blew it, but Tua held the ball b/c the target didn't get separation. Reality is that it's almost impossible to sack the QB when he gets the ball out in under 2 seconds. With a WR that excels at getting quick separation, the pass rush becomes a non-factor.

And if you put a special RB in the backfield that makes the DL and LBs have to take a second out of respect for the potential run, then the pass rush is even less of a factor. Upgrading those two skill positions would, far and away, provide the biggest impact on our defense and most fit Tua's skill set.

Tua never had a clean pocket... Hell, look how bad mahomes looked without a pocket.. win the trenches and you win the game... if you don't believe me ask trent dilfer, mark rypien, doug Williams, and jim mcmahon

We definitely need to solidify the oline And Sewell Or a great free agent would certainly help. That being said we need both as a number one needs some play makers to take this offense to a new level
Agree.
Round 1 and 2 pics: WR, OL, LB, RB, Edge, WR.
Looks like we need to trade back.

The Blues Brothers car had a similar arc to last year's offensive line...

FlamboyantAccurateFunnelweaverspider-max-1mb.gif

I would wait until round two to add to the offensive line.

I think there will be some talent there and it doesn't make sense for Miami to miss on skill players early.

Humphrey maybe at #50. I like the RT from Notre Dame. He could sneak into round two.

Now, if Miami trades down and Sewell is there at, say #8, you'd have to consider that.

My first choice would be to trade down. But, if we have to pick 3rd, Sewell would be the wise choice. Then we can move Hunt to RG. There are a lot of playmaking WRs we can get later in the draft. Now if he can trade down a bit and still get Sewell that would be awesome. But, I don't think he gets by the Bengals at #5.

This has been debated to no end. Lets say we need our O-line to play better but last year we had 3 rookies up front. you'd take they have a chance to get better. As far as WR's tho the cup is bare. We could get a guy like Linsley in free agency and maybe draft an OT in the 2nd round and move Hunt inside but we need WR's that can make plays. There's 3 top guys and we need to draft at least one of them.

Tua never had a clean pocket... Hell, look how bad mahomes looked without a pocket.. win the trenches and you win the game... if you don't believe me ask trent dilfer, mark rypien, doug Williams, and jim mcmahon
respectfully will completely disagree with that sentiment.
1) that style of football has been outdated for nearly 15 years. you dont win like that in todays high/quick scoring NFL
2) two of those 3 quarterbacks had legendary defenses. without doing the research im confident their high draft picks went to the players that made up that defense
3) do you want to dedicate another draft to O lineman, leaving Tua (or any QB) with Parker and Williams as his top 2, not to mention no RB's?

Back
Top Bottom