Offensive line Play | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offensive line Play

The hope (and I stress hope since it’s far from certain) is that the three rookies progress. Jackson, Kindley and Hunt all showed some positives year one, although consistency was lacking.

I am not sure if I trust Hunt as a tackle yet, and feel like his long term position is guard. So if we add a player, I would like it to be a tackle, not a center or guard.

respectfully will completely disagree with that sentiment.
1) that style of football has been outdated for nearly 15 years. you dont win like that in todays high/quick scoring NFL
2) two of those 3 quarterbacks had legendary defenses. without doing the research im confident their high draft picks went to the players that made up that defense
3) do you want to dedicate another draft to O lineman, leaving Tua (or any QB) with Parker and Williams as his top 2, not to mention no RB's?
How are you suppose to work the intermediate and deep parts of the field with these new weapons you want, when the QB will not have enough time to throw?

I thought the Dolphins were rebuilding 2 years ago. A rebuild doesn’t happen overnight?

A lot of people on this board comp Tua to Brees, no? What the Saints have always done for Brees is invest in his line. I don’t think Kamara, Thomas and the rest of the Saints Wr’s would have been that successful without their guys up front.

I've been advocating going after Corey Linsley in FA for some time.

Linsley plus drafting Jalen Mayfield at the top of the 2nd at RT, plus a full offseason for last year's rookies, and I think things get better quickly. Hunt can kick back inside to guard, and your line is Jackson, Kindley, Linsley, Hunt, Mayfield. Flowers, Dieter and Davis (plus a couple more) are depth.

If Jesse Davis is coming off the bench instead of starting it will show a lot of progression in the OL.
Agreed. OL play is more about a unit than about having one great player. Or trying to get 5-7 great OL. It's just not realistic. What's most important is not having weak links. I generally see OLs come together in that third year of continuity and they're not made up of top picks. They're almost always a mix of players including top picks, late picks and FAs. Miami started rebuilding again when they hired Flores. If they have continuity going into next year and the players they drafted high last season continue to develop, the OL will improve.

I've been advocating going after Corey Linsley in FA for some time.

Linsley plus drafting Jalen Mayfield at the top of the 2nd at RT, plus a full offseason for last year's rookies, and I think things get better quickly. Hunt can kick back inside to guard, and your line is Jackson, Kindley, Linsley, Hunt, Mayfield. Flowers, Dieter and Davis (plus a couple more) are depth.
I think they are really happy with a right side of Kindley/Hunt. IMO by the end of the season, Hunt was our best OL. I know many want to move him to G, but I don't expect that's the plan at all. My guess is that the plan is either to re-sign Karras or try to upgrade at C in FA. They like Karras more than some here so they may go that way. IMO Linley and Andrews would be upgrades. And maybe Nick Martin, but that's about it. Karras is the third or fourth best C available. I also expect them to draft a C/G to improve the depth, possibly upgrade from Flowers (I think they will try real hard to trade Flowers and may include a draft pick to do it) and provide flexibility. I think the guys they'll consider in the draft are Humphrey, Dickerson Meinerz and maybe Trey Smith depending on the medicals.

respectfully will completely disagree with that sentiment.
1) that style of football has been outdated for nearly 15 years. you dont win like that in todays high/quick scoring NFL
2) two of those 3 quarterbacks had legendary defenses. without doing the research im confident their high draft picks went to the players that made up that defense
3) do you want to dedicate another draft to O lineman, leaving Tua (or any QB) with Parker and Williams as his top 2, not to mention no RB's?

I don't think this is either or. It's uncommon for a team to get to the SB with a below average OL. It certainly needs to be addressed. But, as Miami fans saw last year, it's hard to win consistently without WR's who can get separation and a top third QB. The debate seems to be between those who think TT isn't a top third QB and/or don't think the OL is very good. Personally, I think the O may be 'average' to above and TT can be a top third QB. What's left is weapons.

I am looking forward to seeing how the 3 rookies perform in Year 2. Jackson and Hunt have high ceilings, and while Solomon will never be nimble, he will hopefully improve at pass protection.

I don't see Humphrey as being a big upgrade over Karras. They both get pushed backward by the better DT's when I watched them. Id rather they draft the kid from UW Whitewater if he is still available at 81. I liked the Iittle video I saw from the Senior Bowl practices. He was pushing guys backwards. Amazing for a player who had never snapped the ball before.

Would be great if they also picked up another young tackle in the draft. There are several with serious upside.

The Miami Dolphins started three rookies, each had his good points, and points where they needed to improve.

Jackson is extremely young and inexperienced, but before his injury, many were saying he was looking like one of the best of the 1st round Tackle class, in time and recoup from that injury, Jackson will be more then fine.

Hunt was considered a possibly great guard, or limited Tackle with the way he had problems handling speed rushers at the corner in college, remarkablely he did better then expected with those pass-rushers at the corner and really was nowhere as big a liability at the corner in pass-protect as many experts thought.

Kindleyof the three rookies, was the one that most stood out, and though he is not very athletic, he can in time be good enough at both blocking for Pass and Run.

In time all three will be much better then 2020. If anything, my problem is with Flowers.

Does anyone know how strong tis draft is in terms of Tackles?
I think Sewell and Slater are the only two worthy of a 1st round pick and I highly doubt Slater makes it past 12 let alone all the way to 18.

I don’t think Slater makes it past Dallas @ 10
I agree with you there I personally like Slater more than I do Sewell, but I've seen a lot of more him being from Illinois. I'm not totally sold on the competition that Sewell faced in comparison to Slater, but I personally don't like anybody at #3.

We definitely need to solidify the oline And Sewell Or a great free agent would certainly help. That being said we need both as a number one needs some play makers to take this offense to a new level
Agree. We need enough high pics I would like to trade back.
Assuming there is some agreement on our needs (2WR, RB, Edge, LB, OL; and that totals six picks) unless someone feels we have to have that “guy” at 3 I trade down if possible.
The only reason I stay at three is for a QB and I hope the FO and coaches feel Tua is good enough that we go the path of improving things around him.

I don't think this is either or. It's uncommon for a team to get to the SB with a below average OL. It certainly needs to be addressed. But, as Miami fans saw last year, it's hard to win consistently without WR's who can get separation and a top third QB. The debate seems to be between those who think TT isn't a top third QB and/or don't think the OL is very good. Personally, I think the O may be 'average' to above and TT can be a top third QB. What's left is weapons.
How conservative the offense became after injuries to wide receivers this past season definitely supports that.

Miami needs a player who isn't open just because they can win the 50/50 battles. Parker and Gesicki are both really good in that regard, but the Dolphins need someone who gets open quickly. A little bit like those NE receivers who killed teams consistently in the slot. Smith, Waddle, Toney, Eliah Moore look to be the best in that regard draft-wise. I'm sure there are others.

Now, if the team trades down to #6 or #8 and Sewell is still on the board that's a hard guy to pass on. But I think there are enough quality offensive linemen that the team can get help in the 2nd round there.

The offense is in a strange position. On the one hand, the o-line did not look good but it didn't look terrible and it has three rookies so there's hope for improvement. On the other hand, the weapons don't seem to have good chemistry with Tua and they can't seem to stay healthy. But otherwise it is the far more proven unit. So if they could stay healthy, and if Tua becomes more comfortable with them, then there wouldn't be much need to upgrade there. Of course those are two big ifs.

I can see the logic of going for Sewell at #3 just as much as going for Chase/Smith/Pitts there.

Back
Top Bottom