Offensive line Play | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offensive line Play

Guys that create separation and get open faster make it so the QB doesn’t have to hold the ball as long. That’s how they help an average or subpar online.

Also, elite weapons tend to be given a bit more cushion which opens up shorter, quicker throws. And they can take the bubble screens that go nowhere now much further.

In short, you’re not looking at this 3 dimensionally.

But, yes, we’d all like to see the line improved. But not at the expense of a 1st round pick and missing out on elite skill players.

And, because they demand attention, the 'lesser' receivers may get open more.

Because they addressed it, over and over again, and it is what it is. The players on the Oline are young, rookies. They should be given more time. But more importantly, we cannot be rebuilding every year. Something needs to be called as fixed. Skill positions are not one of those areas,
What the film shows is irrelevant.
What the film shows is irrelevant?

It's the only thing that is relevant.

I do agree that the kids on the line will improve. I even think it could be substantial.

Aren't you the guy that stated before that Grier's job was to get pro bowlers at every position, and to keep churning until you get them?

Have you changed your entire basic philosophy?

It might be 3 rookies with a joke of an offseason, and no preseason?

As @Feverdream once said, it takes a year or two for linemen to get better. Not saying we have the best damn things to ever exist in the planet but that is a fact. Some come to the NFL as billed "NFL Ready" but no one truly knows who they are. Wirfs from the Bucs wasn't billed NFL ready, but he ended up the season in 2020 as the 2nd best offensive tackle. Perhaps the best tackle in the 1st round, and the whole draft.

As @Feverdream once said, it takes a year or two for linemen to get better. Not saying we have the best damn things to ever exist in the planet but that is a fact. Some come to the NFL as billed "NFL Ready" but no one truly knows who they are. Wirfs from the Bucs wasn't billed NFL ready, but he ended up the season in 2020 as the 2nd best offensive tackle. Perhaps the best tackle in the 1st round, and the whole draft.
It does take time for an O-line to mesh as a cohesive unit.

Wirf's situation was completely different. That was inserting one very good player into an already established line. That's much easier than our situation.

We not only had 3 rookies playing substantial snaps without a preseason, Karras and Flowers were also FA adds. None of these guys, including Davis, played a single game snap with any of the others before week one.

TBH, it's a miracle it wasn't a complete disaster.

Normally, OTAs and TC is when young guys get a crash course in NFL level technique, including use of hands, footwork, stunt responsibility, etc.

I'm positive we will have a much better, in "sync" unit this year.

Aren't you the guy that stated before that Grier's job was to get pro bowlers at every position, and to keep churning until you get them?

Have you changed your entire basic philosophy?

Yes, 53 blue chippers, that's the job, that's the goal. But he gave it a shot last draft for the Oline. Now it's time to improve other spots, namely the backfield and receivers.

It does take time for an O-line to mesh as a cohesive unit.

Wirf's situation was completely different. That was inserting one very good player into an already established line. That's much easier than our situation.

We not only had 3 rookies playing substantial snaps without a preseason, Karras and Flowers were also FA adds. None of these guys, including Davis, played a single game snap with any of the others before week one.

TBH, it's a miracle it wasn't a complete disaster.

Normally, OTAs and TC is when young guys get a crash course in NFL level technique, including use of hands, footwork, stunt responsibility, etc.

I'm positive we will have a much better, in "sync" unit this year.

Without a doubt brother in was a miracle. And as much as Chan Gailey was critiqued, play calling was also a factor. It was also a while that we scored that many points in a season.

We ranked 28th in the league but at the end of the day the line gave up 20 less sacks almost than the season before.

Guys that create separation and get open faster make it so the QB doesn’t have to hold the ball as long. That’s how they help an average or subpar online.

Also, elite weapons tend to be given a bit more cushion which opens up shorter, quicker throws. And they can take the bubble screens that go nowhere now much further.

In short, you’re not looking at this 3 dimensionally.

But, yes, we’d all like to see the line improved. But not at the expense of a 1st round pick and missing out on elite skill players.
Roethlisberger got the ball out the fastest after the snap last season. He had better weapons then the Dolphins do and he had no running game but a much better line than the Dolphins.The average yards per attempt were about the same for both teams QBs, with JuJu and Dionte Johnson ranked around 12 & 13th in the AFC with YAC yards. Miami’s Gaskin ranked 10th in YAC in the AFC. The only difference in those team’s offenses were that Miami QBs were sacked 20 more times.

So with the addition of some elite weapons we can expect to improve by about 17 yards per game in the air. Pittsburgh averaged 250 and the Dolphins averaged 233 last year.

I just want Sewell so we can f*** people up. Baltimore gets it, run 1st pass 2nd, to hell with what the league is doing.
That's fine for racking up regular season wins, but when you want to make regular deep playoff runs, at some point you have to be able to pass the ball.

Don't get me wrong, having a dominant rushing attack is a thing of beauty. You can break the spirit of opponents.

It doesnt do you muck good when you are down by 17 in the playoffs though.

How many championships has Baltimore won with that formula again? Even the one they did was based on an elite D, and the QB playing out of his gourd during the playoffs.

That's fine for racking up regular season wins, but when you want to make regular deep playoff runs, at some point you have to be able to pass the ball.

Don't get me wrong, having a dominant rushing attack is a thing of beauty. You can break the spirit of opponents.

It doesnt do you muck good when you are down by 17 in the playoffs though.

How many championships has Baltimore won with that formula again? Even the one they did was based on an elite D, and the QB playing out of his gourd during the playoffs.
I hear u. My main point is with Flores and the pieces we have I think we can build an elite defense. Nothing compliments an elite defense like an elite rushing attack. That's why I want Sewell IF we can't trade back, and that's how I want Grier to build this team. Inside out, the Parcells way.

We will draft him.
Honestly I think a trade back with the Eagles, grab Chase and the extra picks would probably be the ideal scenario for us. But if they cheap out on us or we can't trade back, Sewell is my guy.

I would like if they traded back and took Slater @ 10. He has short arms but can play all 5 positions. I’d mine him to center and add a right tackle in the beginning of the second round and call it a day. You could get Harris with 1b and a slot receiver with speed and separation later.

if it is showing to take 3 years for a young line to gel, why not fix the line and then when there ready and Parker’s contract is up then go get your we pieces? I don’t see this team going to the super bowl any time soon.

Honestly I think a trade back with the Eagles, grab Chase and the extra picks would probably be the ideal scenario for us. But if they cheap out on us or we can't trade back, Sewell is my guy.

Most likely teams to trade back with will likely have the players they want available.

Back
Top Bottom