Offensive line | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offensive line

ZOD

Ruler of the Universe
Reaction score
I attempted to focus solely on the offensive line yesterday for some time. I wanted to make some notes on some individual players that I focused on a certain times during passing plays.

It was tough to keep my eye on one guy because once I saw a stunt I brought my attention back to focus on how the entire line reacted. The titans ran stunts against our 2nd team line on about every 4th or 5th play. At first the 2nd team guys reacted badly. Once even pointing out that 62 (Pierce) or 65 (Andrew) (fuzzy picture) missed his man who got the sack.

I don't know why :rolleyes: but my attention always seemed to start at Left Tackle. Mark Dixon still uses that low center of gravity that allows a defenders swatting hand to come over his shoulder. That has always scared the crap out of me. But in general Dixon was excellent in protection. On one drop back it simply amazed me of Dixon's ability to know where the QB was. He carried the defensive end all the way around Fiedler to the point that he and the defender were right behind Fiedler with Dixon's back to Fiedlers.

They gave Wade Smith a good look over there and he seemed to do fairly well. His footwork on forming the pocket was similar to Mark Dixons in that he let the defensive ends rush go straight back instead of attempting to halt the rush. It seemed he had the prescence of mind to let the pocket form using the defenders ability against himself. On one play that stood out though Smith got beat by a move where the end started upfield, placed his left hand under Smith's right arm, pushed Smith out of the way to the right, and opened up an inside rush. It was the only time I saw Smith actually tripping over his own two feet.

Borum got a long look at left tackle and his play was very different from that of Smith and Dixon. Whereas Dixon and Smith seemed to move backfield with their backs to the pocket or sideline, Borum would take a quick two or three step drop and plant for the first lick on the end. This method was successful when the end attempted to get to the QB fast to what seemed to be an open inside but Borum would plant his big body on him and the end continually got nowhere. Against the speed rush to the outside Borum didn't look too good though. I know he was playing against second or third team rushers and even they made him look silly when they started upfield and continuing to the backside of Rosenfels. He looks like he could be set up really easy by an end the caliber of JT. Overall he doesn't provide any confidence in his ability to protect his outside as he doesn't have a fluid movement back forming the pocket.

I hate that I didn't turn my attention to the other side as I would have liked to observe the right side too. But our QB is right handed and our LT is a guard so I guess I couldn't peel my eyes away. Overall I'd say that Dixon is still the best option at LT. I don't think Smith's footwork and balance will improve during the Preseason enough to take on the Left Tackle duties as he looked average against 2nd stringers.

Anyone else see something different or able to focus on the line elsewhere ?

No, General. But I will say that it's always appreciated when you and the others here who are pretty good at isolating and critiquing things do so. A focused left-tackle play assessment is every bit as welcome as a full blown camp report. Thanks for breaking it out a bit.

Good critique......This is why we are going to go after a tackle once cuts are made. I have no problem with Dixon, (I have a problem w/ his mom bad mouthing Feidler....J/K, had to say it! ) but it doesnt hurt to have a true tackle backing him up!!! We will see when rosters are down to 53 or maybe sooner, who becomes available!

Good read, it also seems the young Guard Yates had a good scrimage also, he didn't seem to miss any assignments..really can't tell about his run blocking since we didn't do a lot of that, if he was in when Henry was running the ball then he was good at that too, but the D was 2nd and 3rd teamers by then. As I keep saying, we'll know a lot more about our OL this Friday against TB. They've had one preseason game under their belts and should be a better gage for us.

I'm back and a little more critical on the left side and the 1st string in general as I got to watch it again with a little more clarity in the picture. I also watched the clock to see just how much protection Jay was receiving versus a live rush. This post will be about the first series of downs for our offense so keep that in mind.

It seemed in the first couple of downs the Titans rush was not very active or live. It seemed as though they needed a boot in da azz to get going after about three plays. I think they expected more rush plays that the D-line could really do nothing with since they were not tackling. After that I noticed more aggressive play out of the Titans D-line. Just my observation.

Back to our O-line.

On the play where Sam Simmons was hit coming out of the slot about 8 yards downfield he was the "hot route". Jay released the ball in 2 seconds. It was a standard four man rush and I think Jay would have been sacked by either end on second number 3.

The strike to Mcknight for a TD was play action to Ricky that froze the interior of the Titans D-line. Jay had all day because of the play action.

The play that I earlier congratulated Dixon on (where he and the defender were behind Jay) turned out to be bad blocking on the part of Dixon. I couldn't see it in the original viewing but Dixon was low in the chest of his man and the hand that came swatting across his shoulder caught Jay's sleeve, pulled and Jay flushed out of the pocket on a run. Dixon got bull rushed from the start of the play and his man continued outside of an off balance Dixon. It was a standard four man rush and Jay didn't get 3.5 seconds.

The next pass to Thompson, Jay released the ball in 3.5 seconds. Anymore and he would have been sacked. That's all you can ask of linemen in the NFL but some lines do provide more. The sack would have come from Dixon's end as he was bull rushed again and went off balance. Dixon held his own pretty good considering his ankle and the bull rush that he took.

The right side (Perry and Wade) that I said earlier I didn't get a chance to see ?

I watch the entire series off downs twice because I kept looking back to the left side :rolleyes:. But Perry and Wade were excellent on pass protection. No significant amount of pressure came from their side with the exception of the play I mentioned earlier to Sam Simmons on the "hot route" out of the slot. On that play the entire line seemed to cave in for some reason. I think it was the first significant amount of force used against the line so it probably caught them off guard. But in general I can't say enough about the pass protection from the right side.

Hold on...I'm going to watch it again...:lol:

ill just say that dixon was burned on that one play you were discribing. i remember that play. He did not step back far enough and take his ground and push him out of line. fiedler would have been sacked on that one and i actually thought they would rule it that way. But overall, we did well for a couple of reasons, one, we moved the ball very well anyways and we passed all afternoon and they figured that out. thats why they started to bring it. it would be totally different if ricky were more involved.

Excellent analysis of th OL Zod!

I agree that we will be looking for a b/u LT as the cuts begin, but it will be up to Dixon to get it done.

I have no where else to cram this so I'll just do it here.

Jason Coles Q and A..

Q.

We seem to have some depth at DB. How about trading for OL help. Likely candidates? Too late?
Shrink, Austin, TX 8/01/03

A.

Don't expect it. Every team in the league is short on offensive line right now. It takes a unique situation for a trade.
Jason Cole 8/02/03

Back
Top Bottom