Offensive Line | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offensive Line

Matt Ryan and Matt Stafford can obviously still play. But other than TLaw the other guys Fields Wilson and Lance are not seen as guys who are going to start day 1. So if your Atlanta or Detroit I think it makes a ton of sense to go ahead and draft your young QB and let him sit for a year and maybe even 2 similar to how GB done with AR and what they did last year by drafting Jordan Love in round 1. That’s just being a smart front office.

As for Denver Drew Lock is absolutely trash and if I’m not mistaken he led the league in INTs and John Elway is starting to feel some heat from the fan base bc he’s missed on Paxton Lynch and now Drew Lock. Yes Lock has a good game against us but that was more the Denver defense than it was him lighting us up.

Carolina did pay Teddy B last year but they had to have a stopgap and they only signed him for 3 years and now 1 year of that contract is already played out so it would make sense to again take 1 of the 3 Fields Wilson or Lance and let him sit for the next 1/2 years to develop behind Teddy B.

All 4 of these teams may choose to not go QB but chances are 1 of the 4 will and that’s when we need to be ready to take advantage of it and hopefully we will.
If any of them go QB I’d be shocked if they made a move up to 3 to get a guy like Wilson or Lance. Absolutely shocked.

now if the Jets pass on Fields? That’s our best case scenario for a trade down.

If any of them go QB I’d be shocked if they made a move up to 3 to get a guy like Wilson or Lance. Absolutely shocked.

now if the Jets pass on Fields? That’s our best case scenario for a trade down.
If their is 1 position that is always over drafted and teams are always willing to reach for it’s the QB position. I don’t think we need Fields to be there at all bc some people are starting to speculate that Wilson may be even above Fields on some draft boards. Which I tend to agree with. I think Justin Fields is a bust and will struggle with the nuances of a pro offense.

If their is 1 position that is always over drafted and teams are always willing to reach for it’s the QB position. I don’t think we need Fields to be there at all bc some people are starting to speculate that Wilson may be even above Fields on some draft boards. Which I tend to agree with. I think Justin Fields is a bust and will struggle with the nuances of a pro offense.
Who did you say the Fins should draft at 5 last draft? Be honest.

I wanted Isaiah Simmons if we’re being completely honest I wanted to pass on a QB and wait for this year. What’s your point?

Atlanta at 4 is not trading to the 3 to get a QB when the 3 has a QB.

You make a solid point however that these teams could all go QB. Denver I doubt as they have Lock and Rypien both. Carolina just paid for Teddy.

We will see how it all plays out.
They sure will. Its a very simple very common situation. Atl moves up one spot to protect thier choice of QB from Fins trading our pick to another QB hungry top 10 pick team.

I have to disagree with you. I see Panthers, Lions, Eagles and Broncos as potential trading partner with dolphins. All these team can use a young stud qb.

First off, all our opinions are just that opinions who's right or who's wrong No one has a legitimate clue. Though it is fun to imagine the alternative.

Like for me, what you just stated may not be such a bad idea although in my fantasy world we not only pick Sewell at 3 but see those trades, you mentioned for us, moving to a few of the following teams. A boat load of picks could interest the Falcons, Bengals, Eagles, Lions. Fourth pick on would or could still see the desparate for QB's in that trading mode in which the good thing for us is it may give us a little opportunity to move up fewer spots to grab either Smith or Waddle. Due to the potential run on those QB you see in play.....

And to walk away from this first round with Sewell and Smith or Waddle actually makes my toes tingle as Jim Mandich used to say..... and fills the holes of two critical areas we need. JMO

i think cincy is going to really have to have some help on the Oline so Joey B doesnt die, im pretty sure they would want 3 if the OT is sitting there

Kindley needs to lose the sloppy weight around his midsection. Jackson needs a full offseason to devote to core strength. Hunt needs to figure out whether they want him at guard or tackle, then define his shape accordingly.

The other guys are what they are. Yikes, first time I've used that phrase

The Dolphins OL is below average. It needs to be reinforced. What will carry you into the Superbowl is OL (strong run game and allowing the QB time in the pocket), QB and Defense not WRs. Spending a 3rd overall on a 170 pound WR is beyond risky. I'll take Devonta at 9th or 10 but not 3.

Dolphins Offensive Line allowed 34 sacks between Tua and Fitz. That is the 9th worst in the league. (this is not even counting QB hurries and hits).
Mahomes and Brady only got sacked 22 times total in 16 games.
Its time for the front Office to solidify this OL starting with Penei Sewell at #3.
Or, we could just realize we started 3 rookies for much of the year that all showed promise to where we'll be pretty damn good there next year.
Even Tunsil had plenty of growing pains and ugly moments in his rookie year, which Penei Sewell will have, too.
For the sake of 2021, only, Hunt could be just as good in his sophomore year as Sewell would be in his 1st.

A true alpha dog WR like justin Jefferson was carrying the Vikings offense. He was not a 1st round pick. Why not? 'Measurables'?

If Chase plays like an alpha dog, like that's 'His Ball' flying through the air, then I want him.

The fact we started three rookies on the line in a season with no OTAs or minicamps and they played at least as well as they did is very encouraging. I didn't like a few of those 'down' games in the second half of the season any more than you guys did - but this year that "rookie wall" was a real thing and it hit like a MOTHER$%#*ER. You could just see these guys were used to playing only ten games a year.

All football players - especially linemen - often see their biggest talent jumps from Year 1 to Year 2. I fully expect improvements from all three. We'll know by next year if the light has fully come on for none, some or all three of them. Robert Hunt was our best-rated lineman over the last 4-5 weeks of the season. Will his footwork continue to improve, allowing him to stay at RT? Perhaps. He already was our best run blocker. Will Kindley continue to refine his technique and get more physically fit to complement that monster strength and badass attitude? Perhaps, probably. Will Austin Jackson, by all accounts a physically gifted Left Tackle, continue his technical improvements and gains in core body strength? I think it's safe to assume so.

Listen, I'd like 5 Pro Bowlers up and down the whole length of the line just like you guys. But unless the Sewell pick is staring you right in the face (no good trades down and he scouts out amazingly) then I'm okay with it. But I don't think there's any doubt the worst unit on our team is the wide receiving corps [<- and yes, that's how you spell it]. Between chronic injuries, dropped passes, and a total lack of separation downfield, this unit is a five-alarm fire and the Miami Dolphins need to put it out before the start of next season. We owe it to the investment we made in this quarterback.

The fact we started three rookies on the line in a season with no OTAs or minicamps and they played at least as well as they did is very encouraging. I didn't like a few of those 'down' games in the second half of the season any more than you guys did - but this year that "rookie wall" was a real thing and it hit like a MOTHER$%#*ER. You could just see these guys were used to playing only ten games a year.

All football players - especially linemen - often see their biggest talent jumps from Year 1 to Year 2. I fully expect improvements from all three. We'll know by next year if the light has fully come on for none, some or all three of them. Robert Hunt was our best-rated lineman over the last 4-5 weeks of the season. Will his footwork continue to improve, allowing him to stay at RT? Perhaps. He already was our best run blocker. Will Kindley continue to refine his technique and get more physically fit to complement that monster strength and badass attitude? Perhaps, probably. Will Austin Jackson, by all accounts a physically gifted Left Tackle, continue his technical improvements and gains in core body strength? I think it's safe to assume so.

Listen, I'd like 5 Pro Bowlers up and down the whole length of the line just like you guys. But unless the Sewell pick is staring you right in the face (no good trades down and he scouts out amazingly) then I'm okay with it. But I don't think there's any doubt the worst unit on our team is the wide receiving corps [<- and yes, that's how you spell it]. Between chronic injuries, dropped passes, and a total lack of separation downfield, this unit is a five-alarm fire and the Miami Dolphins need to put it out before the start of next season. We owe it to the investment we made in this quarterback.
Need to add a free agent WR

2 observations that pose a dilemma for the FO:

1) As decent as the line was for a bunch of rookies with no off-season, there are reasons to think that the FO will have to draft OL. I saw from Jackson what I saw in college - that he's too willing to cede ground to the rusher in pass pro. And so while our interior tended to hold up ok, The pocket tended to collapse from the outside in, making it very narrow and forcing him upfield into the DL/LB. That's a very new feeling for a college shotgun QB used to playing behind a dominant OL. We need our tackles to be able to keep ends at bay without letting them squeeze the QBs pocket. Sure, our rookie tackles will get an off-season to improve strength and technique, but that will become evident well after the draft happens. The FO can't bank on it, especially as behind the starting tackles there isn't much competition.

And if Miami want a running game to take pressure off Tua, they're going to need better push from their tackles in particular.

That speaks to me to a tackle possibly being taken high and a reason Sewell is very much in play.

2) In direct contrast, this is likely Miami's only top 5 pick for the next 5-7 years. Even more rare is that they have a second pick in the 1st, so it's kind of a free roll of the dice. It's a Willy Wonka golden ticket for taking an insurance QB in case Tua doesn't work out. Timing wise, it's not ideal. You'd like to have a more definitive feeling about Tua one way or the other, but you can't really pass up the chance to use your top 5 pick on a QB.

So, as I said, big dilemma. If the FO really thinks that the scramble for the 3rd QB taken will start at around pick 17-19, maybe Miami goes BPA at 3 and looks to snag competition for Tua with the second pick. That BPA could well be Sewell.

i think cincy is going to really have to have some help on the Oline so Joey B doesnt die, im pretty sure they would want 3 if the OT is sitting there
Your logic is sound - Cincinnati needs help on the O-line, but the Bengals 85 year old owner/GM Mike Brown rarely trades or trades for high Draft picks. He has even made known his total reluctance to participate in the trade negotiations like other teams and would be especially wary of negotiating with Chris Grier after the Laremy Tunsil trade decimated the Texans last year. Brown will be hoping that Miami drafts Devonta Smith and that Sewell lands in his lap without giving up draft picks.
There are 31 GMs who trade high Draft picks and 1 who doesn't. Never bet on Mike Brown trading up for a Draft pick - he's very risk averse.

Last edited:
How many of the current top 10 wide receivers in the game were top 5 picks??
Answer is: 1 Amari Cooper at 4 overall pick.
Next in line is Julio Jones at 6 and Mike Evan at 7.
Without an offensive line you can't throw, you can't run. You are putting the cart before the horse.
Spending the 3 overall pick on Devonta Smith who is 170 pounds soaking wet is extremely risky, IMO. You can get decent WR talent with the 18 overall pick.
How did that strategy work out for the Texans?

Go Smith. Go deep. Like your mother said last night Trebek

Back
Top Bottom