Offensive Line | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offensive Line

I like how Bills built their OL. Went and got athletic Pass Blocking lineman. And being athletic allows the trap game and misdirection Run game to work well. Their power Run game struggles. But they built this line to pass protect not Run Block Power Grinding OL like they have had in the past. I think you guys are on your way to building that as well.

IMO it is easier to Buy and OL in UFA anymore. College play has hurt the development of OL so much coming out of the draft, Specially at the OT positions.

Could be a cap casualty. The saints are in a bad, bad place and he's a big cap savings with no dead money.
THAT is possible... but I think he's one that they'll resign to a high bonus contract with an initial small salary.

Whyizzit that the three rookie o-linemen aren't given the same amount of time to gel as other positions?

I was reading how bad Andrew Thomas was doing for the Giants. He tightened up the more he played. I didn't read the Giant fanbase saying how their line has to improve.

Whyizzat?

Ask the Dallas Crybabies how they feel about investing as BUNCH of 1st round picks on the OL? They have had the BEST OL in football over the past decade, and won how many Super Bowls? Jake Long was the first pick in the draft. He was very good but was hurt enough not to finish 2 of his 5 years here and was out of the NFL in 6...
Dallas also has a great RB, a very good QB, and some very nice receivers...

Dallas loses because of a crappy defense. The fault isn't that they drafted O line over weapons... their defense sucks.

I like how Bills built their OL. Went and got athletic Pass Blocking lineman. And being athletic allows the trap game and misdirection Run game to work well. Their power Run game struggles. But they built this line to pass protect not Run Block Power Grinding OL like they have had in the past. I think you guys are on your way to building that as well.

IMO it is easier to Buy and OL in UFA anymore. College play has hurt the development of OL so much coming out of the draft, Specially at the OT positions.
Athletic, pass blocking linemen...

So NOT Robert Hunt.

Austin Jackson yes.

Get an athletic pass blocking tackle to pair with Jackson.

Athletic, pass blocking linemen...

So NOT Robert Hunt.

Austin Jackson yes.

Get an athletic pass blocking tackle to pair with Jackson.
Cosmi. He's also spent like half his time at RT. Unfortunately, he's moved up mock boards since I eyed him in October.

Cosmi. He's also spent like half his time at RT. Unfortunately, he's moved up mock boards since I eyed him in October.
I've also mentioned Abraham Lucas... He isn't great at pass blocking, but has EXCELLENT feet... and has played RT in a full pass system.

He's probably a 3rd rounder.

THAT is possible... but I think he's one that they'll resign to a high bonus contract with an initial small salary.
So you mean a restructure? I'm really not sure how a situation like this works where you have teams like the eagles and saints that are going to be so far over the cap. Even if you go the route of making all the cuts post-June, they're still gonna have to cut/trade a lot of guys to get below the cap.

I've also mentioned Abraham Lucas... He isn't great at pass blocking, but has EXCELLENT feet... and has played RT in a full pass system.

He's probably a 3rd rounder.
Yeah, he's one of the three I'd like to take if it's middle rounds.

The tackles I'd like to see them get:

Late 1st/Early 2nd: Cosmi and then Mayfield
Third: Little, then Lucas and Carman

Obviously, Sewell would be great, but I'm leaning toward trading down and taking Parsons or Pitts and picking up picks in '21/'22.

So you mean a restructure? I'm really not sure how a situation like this works where you have teams like the eagles and saints that are going to be so far over the cap. Even if you go the route of making all the cuts post-June, they're still gonna have to cut/trade a lot of guys to get below the cap.
Here's how this works...

You sign a new 5 year contract (for instance). You give the player a 20 million signing bonus, and contracts of 2M, 10M, 15, 15, 15.

This causes the 2021 cap hit to be the 2M salary plus one fifth of the bonus money (4 million)... so 6 million the first year. 14 the second, then 19, 19, 19.

There are two MAJOR problems with doing this however. 1) What you see with X. He got his bonus money and now he wants even more. It opens yourself up to greedy players with no ethical boundaries. and 2) whatever remains of the 20 Million signing bonus comes IMMEDIATELY due if you cut or trade a player early... and this just SCREWS your cap. Go to overthecap and look at the Eagles. They are so screwed because they've done this over and over.

Yeah, he's one of the three I'd like to take if it's middle rounds.

The tackles I'd like to see them get:

Late 1st/Early 2nd: Cosmi and then Mayfield
Third: Little, then Lucas and Carman

Obviously, Sewell would be great, but I'm leaning toward trading down and taking Parsons or Pitts and picking up picks in '21/'22.
I'm... obviously... a huge Sewell guy, but I understand that these other ideas ARE winners. We need to get Hunt inside where he belongs and quit pretending he'll be a blind side protector for a left handed QB.

Here's how this works...

You sign a new 5 year contract (for instance). You give the player a 20 million signing bonus, and contracts of 2M, 10M, 15, 15, 15.

This causes the 2021 cap hit to be the 2M salary plus one fifth of the bonus money (4 million)... so 6 million the first year. 14 the second, then 19, 19, 19.

There are two MAJOR problems with doing this however. 1) What you see with X. He got his bonus money and now he wants even more. It opens yourself up to greedy players with no ethical boundaries. and 2) whatever remains of the 20 Million signing bonus comes IMMEDIATELY due if you cut or trade a player early... and this just SCREWS your cap. Go to overthecap and look at the Eagles. They are so screwed because they've done this over and over.
I noticed that with the Eagles situation. Unlike the saints, most of their big contracts have no cap relief. I'm not sure if that's what you suggest would be realistic for Ramczyk, but if so, then his cap hit goes from 11M to 7M which is a decent savings, but they could also cut him and save 11M. Would stink to lose him, but that 4M is just scratching the surface for them. Maybe they trade him and at least get a draft pick.

I noticed that with the Eagles situation. Unlike the saints, most of their big contracts have no cap relief. I'm not sure if that's what you suggest would be realistic for Ramczyk, but if so, then his cap hit goes from 11M to 7M which is a decent savings, but they could also cut him and save 11M. Would stink to lose him, but that 4M is just scratching the surface for them. Maybe they trade him and at least get a draft pick.
It's possible that they move him... and I'd look at a deal if the price was right, but I'm thinking that it won't. He is a very good, very young player... that they might want to build around... and unlike most of their team... a renegotiation wouldn't kill them because he only has one year left anyway.

I know he's a popular target for Dolphin fans who don't want to draft a lineman... I am just trying to explain that the Saints have enough options on this guy that they won't make it easy.

I'm not saying no... just beware.

God the idea of drafting a linemen that high and then eventually having to pay him a monster deal bc we took him so high... much like Long.... sounds awful to me personally.

Sewell is a great talent, but honestly I'd rather not invest that much capitol in any one olinemen.

God the idea of drafting a linemen that high and then eventually having to pay him a monster deal bc we took him so high... much like Long.... sounds awful to me personally.

Sewell is a great talent, but honestly I'd rather not invest that much capitol in any one olinemen.
Long was in a slightly different time... because he was drafted in the era before the rookie payscale, he started out making a HUGE amount of money because draft position generally determined your pay... so when he came up off a huge number, he wanted even more... and he had made 4 pro bowls and been name 2nd team all-pro twice. He was legitimately one of the best players we ever had... and he'd easily be in the Hall of Fame if he hadn't been destroyed by injuries...

He DID his job... we didn't... and then he got unlucky.

If we draft Sewell... we'll have him for 5 years before anything happens... and then we could franchise him or deal with him. The options are better than they were with Long.

Back
Top Bottom