Offensive Line | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offensive Line

Jake Long was supposedly great for a few years in Miami but never moved the needle in a game far as I could tell. Give me a speedy WR who can catch the deep ball behind the D and a QB with the arm to get it there and we are on the way.
Matter of fact I would bet blocking gets much much easier after a few of those land behind enemy lines

Jake Long was supposedly great for a few years in Miami but never moved the needle in a game far as I could tell. Give me a speedy WR who can catch the deep ball behind the D and a QB with the arm to get it there and we are on the way.
Matter of fact I would bet blocking gets much much easier after a few of those land behind enemy lines
There was no 'supposedly great'... he was legitimately great... but as always, it takes a team and we didn't have it.

You say, give me a speedy receiver...

We've drafted those too... and by your way of analyzing this... they didn't 'move the needle' either.

I am in for the trade back to at least the top 7 just for 2nds if possible. If not Swell is my choice for 4 great reasons.
Tia needs to stay healthy, it will improve our running game, which will improve our play action pass, and a good running game rests and improves the defense.

I must have been watching different games than the rest of y’all cause Robert Hunt looked like the best rookie on the line down the stretch to me

The oline is fine...it seems to be shaping up into a power blocking unit. We'll get a powerback to run behind them and they will look better next season. In a power blocking lineup, Hunt should be the RT. He didn't have an offseason...he only played in 11 games, his stats match up with most rookie RTs in the league.

721 snaps...3 sacks allowed

In comparison, Andrew Thomas had 977 snaps...10 sacks allowed.

Jedrick Wills had 957 snaps...4 sacks allowed (this is a top 3 rookie rank).

Hunt isn't as far off the beaten track as the clamor for a RT would suggest.

I must have been watching different games than the rest of y’all cause Robert Hunt looked like the best rookie on the line down the stretch to me

I'm no fan of PFF but they agree with you. If you assume PFF get plenty things wrong but they're in the right ball park, then

9 of the top 11 Olines made the play offs.

3 of the top 10 WRs made the play offs.

Just playing devil's advocate a bit.

Plenty is possible the Seahawks won a SB with the 27th ranked OL, the Broncos won a SB with the 20th ranked offensive OL and the Giants won a SB with the 31st ranked OL.
Good stuff. I have always been a win in the trenches guy myself but you make a good counterpoint there.

Having Jake Long in his prime and Tunsil both very good LTs never did anything for Mia. They need play makers. All the WR. pretty much suck their either hurt all the time or dropping passes. Rbs are just JAGs.
Isn't saying just JAG kinda like saying PIN number? 😜 I kid, I kid! Welcome to finheaven. Fins Up!

I'm a big proponent of building a good OL. It makes your running game just work, and almost every QB in the league can be successful if he is given enough time. They're the unsung heroes, but make no mistake about it, they are heroes.

We really should recognize though, that we have made great strides this year. IMHO, pulling together an OL where ZERO people played next to anyone else on this OL the previous year is nothing short of miraculous. The ability of Jesse Davis to pull those guys together, and Ted Karras to make all those great line calls to protect so many people new to the mix is just fantastic. I give a ton of credit to three rookies--two of whom were quite raw--being able to have successful rookie seasons in a Covid-shortened pre-season. Our OL Coach Steve Marshall and Assistant OL Coach Lemuel Jeanpierre (try saying that five times fast) did a phenomenal job getting those random pieces to come together to form an improved OL in record time.

Considering we took the youngest OL in the draft--Austin Jackson--who had missed the previous offseason entirely because he donated bone marrow to his sister, and spent much of the regular season getting back to fitness, then gets plugged in as a starting Left Tackle for a QB who is a wildman gunslinger and the team's returning top runner, is asking a lot of the kid. Then switching his QB to be a small lefty who reacts completely differently to pocket stimuli ... I can't really see how we could have expected any more from Jackson. I'm quite pleased with him despite his rough rookie season. Then we drafted a guy from Louisiana Lafayette ... a very low division school with almost no competition level, and who played almost exclusively as a run blocker, and we thrust him into the NFL level and ask him to also be a pass protector for a left-handed QB and he doesn't completely explode in awfulness ... that's a much better than expected rookie season. Then we also added a kid from a big program--Solomon Kindley of Georgia--who had previously performed at a high level in the SEC but was downgraded because he's not nimble, and saw him produce decently at the NFL level before he's even gotten his body in shape yet. High kudos to those players. And even higher praise is due our OL coaching staff of Marshall and Jeanpierre.

Is our OL fixed. No. But I have more faith in the people fixing it than in a looooooooooooooooooooooooong time. And, I no longer feel like we're on the Island of Misfit Toys trying to piece together an OL from parts that have been rejected elsewhere.

Yes, draft OL. I think #3 overall is too high to draft an OL. We already have Austin Jackson to play LT, and we can find a good RT later in the draft. I'm game for drafting 1-3 more OL, because you should draft at least 1 OL every year. There is a lot of talent in this draft that will fall outside of round 1, so yeah, scoop some of it up, but let's do it at draft slots where they represent value, and I don't see the positional value at #3 overall.

I'm usually criticized for pounding the table to draft more connfed, but if we actually draft a position player at #3 overall, I'd rather have Ja'Marr Chase, who I believe will become a great WR. My first choice would be to trade the pick for value, either up for Trevor Lawrence (1 in a million chance of that happening), or down to a QB needy team for more picks.
100% with you on drafting O line every year. Important to have depth, flexibility when guys contracts are up and of course be prepared for some of those picks to fail to elevate to the NFL level.

lol, the bookends is what did it and not a back that rush for record yards and TDs? Lol

Some of those holes in their zone stretch from DeMarco Murray to eventually Henry......matter.

It didn't happen overnight up front in Tennessee. They gave Marcus Mariota every chance to succeed. Tannehill cleared the bar.

And I dislike Tannehill as a player. But they built their foundation as a franchise.

After watching this year, its clear that the offense was devoid of talent. No game breaker, maybe grant? We can't go into next season without a game changer.

at some point we're gonna have to get better at scouting and player development and stop burning 1st and 2nd round picks on cornfed. the chiefs started two 7th rounders and two former UDFA on OL today and billy ****** turner is playing LT for the packers.
Copy and paste for all Sewell fan boys

Last edited:
I am in for the trade back to at least the top 7 just for 2nds if possible. If not Swell is my choice for 4 great reasons.
Tia needs to stay healthy, it will improve our running game, which will improve our play action pass, and a good running game rests and improves the defense.

It travels.

Especially in December and January.

Back
Top Bottom